Announced at E3 earlier this year, Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds will be the first and only DLC expansion for the game, continuing the journey of Aloy into new and uncharted territory. In this Frozen Wilds guide, we'll be giving you all the information you need on how to access The Frozen Wilds expansion, as well as a Frozen Wilds review roundup.
Horizon Zero Dawn told the story of Aloy, as she pursued the truth surrounding her mother and the origins of the machines that have overrun the Earth. The Frozen Wilds DLC brings Aloy back as the protagonist, and seems to focus on a brand new, powerful machine lurking within a mountain.
If you've already got your hands on the Frozen Wilds expansion for Horizon Zero Dawn, why not check out our full guides list just below, which can help you locate every new collectable item, as well as upgrade your Stormslinger weapon.
- The Frozen Wilds How to Upgrade Your Spear Guide
- The Frozen Wilds How to Upgrade the Stormslinger Guide
- The Frozen Wilds Animal Figurine Locations Guide
- The Frozen Wilds Pigment Locations Guide
- The Frozen Wilds Bluegleam Farming Locations Guide
Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds Review Roundup
As Horizon Zero Dawn's DLC package is due out in the wilds tomorrow, reviews have now appeared online, and we've rounded up an offering below for you:
- USgamer - "The tale told here is decent, but it's not the continuation of Aloy's primary tale like I expect some fans wanted."
- Polygon: 8/10 - "The Cut will be just another beautiful stop in Aloy's spectacular adventure."
- Kotaku - "The Frozen Wilds doesn't revolutionize or even significantly expand on the best ideas introduced in Zero Dawn. It succeeds in a more straightforward way: by giving us more of an already fantastic game."
How to Access the Frozen Wilds DLC
If you've purchased and installed the Frozen Wilds DLC onto your existing save of Horizon Zero Dawn, you're probably wondering how to access the brand new DLC area, and get started on the main quest line that comes with the expansion. To begin the "Into the Frozen Wilds" quest, you have to talk to one of three NPC characters scattered around the main map of the base game.
We've outlined where these three characters - named Rhavid, Ohtur, and Yariki - are just below in the three screenshots, and we should stress that you only have to speak to one of them to begin the Into the Frozen Wilds quest, and not all three. Once you've spoken to any of them, the main Frozen Wilds DLC quest will begin, and you've successfully started the extra content.
Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds Essential Information
- Release Date: November 7, 2017
- Price: $20 ($15 for PS+ Members)
- Platforms: PS4 (Requires Horizon Zero Dawn)
- Developer: Guerilla Games
- Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Genre: Action-Adventure
Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wild Release Date and Price
The Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds release date is November 7, 2017. This will be eight months after Horizon Zero Dawn, which only released in February.
As for the price of The Frozen Wilds, anyone can pre-order the expansion right now on the PSN Store for $20, although this will be reduced to $15 if you're a PS+ member. The expansion isn't standalone however, so you'll need to own a copy of Horizon Zero Dawn in order to play The Frozen Wilds.
The Frozen Wilds Reveal Trailer
While we didn't see any actual gameplay of The Frozen Wilds expansion, we did see several new story beats in the reveal trailer, which you can watch for yourself just below.
With less than a week to go until the expansion finally releases, the PlayStation twitter account gave us a snapshot of the Scorcher, one of the new mechanical beasts that Aloy can fight in the Frozen Wilds expansion.
Meet the Scorcher, a fearsome new machine you'll face in Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds: http://go.redirectingat.com?id=87431X1573192&xs=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2Fl7xTVavML2pic.twitter.com/bLmgZ0jLW7- PlayStation (@PlayStation) November 1, 2017
We've highlighted some notable points from the trailer, including things you might have missed on the first viewing.
- Aloy is returning! Just in case you were worried that Guerilla might somehow abandon their star in the making.
- There's a character that Aloy meets in the trailer, who warns her of the power of the machine lurking in the mountain, but this isn't someone we met in the main game.
- Although we don't get a glimpse of any new machine types in the trailer, Sony have revealed that there will be new types of machine enemies in The Frozen Wilds.
- The expansion has been confirmed to be set in a brand new area, meaning you won't be retreading any new ground whatsoever in The Frozen Wilds.
- We don't know where this takes place in the timeline of Horizon Zero Dawn, but it could potentially take place after the conclusion of the main story, as we never actually saw the Great Metal Devil that was ominously referred to throughout.
At E3 2017, the official PlayStation livestream featured a section with Hermen Hulst, lead designer on Horizon Zero Dawn, to talk in detail about The Frozen Wilds expansion. You can see the full interview just below, but we've highlighted some key talking points below that.
- We'll be heading into new territory in The Frozen Wilds, over the northern mountains and into the lands of the Banuk tribe.
- Hulst confirmed that there would be new weapons, as well as new types of Machines.
- The expansion will be "continuing Aloy's journey", and is meant to be a new chapter for the character.
...And that was it. Not a huge amount to go on from the interview at E3, but we do know that The Frozen Wilds is a fairly hefty expansion, and will act as a form of epilogue for the main story of Horizon Zero Dawn.
This is all the information we have right now on Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds, but check back on this page as we'll be continually updating it with new information leading up to the release of the DLC.