Chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne are vast underground complexes, constructed beneath the city of Yharnam to hide a great evil. In this Bloodborne Chalice Dungeons guide, we’ll be going over how to complete Chalice Dungeons, as well as all the steps you can take to make your journey as smooth as possible.
If you instead need anything else on the complex game of Bloodborne, including how to take down every boss in the game, as well as how to reach optional, hidden areas like Forsaken Cainhurst Castle, head over to our Bloodborne guides walkthrough hub.
Bloodborne Chalice Dungeons Guide
While you might think the Chalice Dungeons of Bloodborne would be fairly straightforward dungeons, you’d unfortunately be wrong. For defeating certain bosses, for example the Blood-Starved Beast, you’ll be rewarded with Chalices, that you can then take to the Hunter’s Dream and use to access Chalice Dungeons.
We’ll cover accessing Chalice Dungeons further down, but what you need to know about Chalice Dungeons is that they can be played co-op with fellow Hunters, they feature bosses from both the base game as well as new creations, and they’re randomly generated. This means that there’s ultimately no telling what kind of monsters or layouts you’ll find in each Chalice Dungeon, but it always helps that you can summon in other players to aid you by using the Beckoning Bell item in your inventory.
How to Access Chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne
As for how to access the Chalice Dungeons, you’ll have to head to the Hunter’s Dream. If you’re facing the Doll in her usual position, you’ll find gravestones that you can use to warp to Yharnam on the right, and another line of gravestones on your left. The gravestones on your left are where you can conduct rituals to give you access to Chalice Dungeons, but note that there are a finite amount of gravestones with which to use. You can always cancel a ritual to free up space for another to take place, but you’ll lose all progress in that particular Chalice Dungeon that the ritual was tied to.
Once you’re actually in a Chalice Dungeon, the method of progress is basically the same as the rest of Bloodborne: reach Lamps to save your progress, and defeated a number of bosses in order to reach the end of the floor of the dungeon. Each Chalice Dungeon is made up of multiple floors, so you’ll have to defeat every boss on every floor in order to successfully complete the dungeon and reap the rewards.
Speaking of rewards for Chalice Dungeons, they can be rather generous. While the final boss of each Chalice Dungeon will usually give you the Chalice you need to reach the next chronological Chalice Dungeon, the sub bosses along the way will always reward you with a healthy amount of Blood Echoes. On top of this, Chalice Dungeons don’t scale to New Game + with you, so while enemies of the base game of Bloodborne will become more difficult to tackle, all the enemies you can encounter in Chalice Dungeons will remain the same level.
Bloodborne Chalice Dungeon Levels
While the layouts of the various Chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne are randomised to an extent, we can still tell you how to get hold of each different Chalice in the game, which you can then use in rituals to gain entry to Chalice Dungeons. You can find a complete list of every Chalice in the game just below, as well as the locations in which you can find them.
- Pthumeru Chalice - Earned by killing the Blood-Starved Beast.
- Pthumeru Root Chalice - Kill the Mericless Watchers in Pthumeru Chalice.
- Central Pthumeru Chalice - Kill the Watchdog of the Old Lords in Pthumeru Chalice.
- Central Pthumeru Root Chalice - Kill the Keeper of the Old Lords in Central Pthumeru Chalice.
- Lower Pthumeru Chalice - Kill the Pthumerian Descendant in Central Pthumeru Chalice.
- Lower Pthumeru Root Chalice - Kill Rom, the Vacuous Spider in Lower Pthumeru Chalice.
- Sinister Lower Pthumeru Root Chalice - Sold by Messengers for 9,000 Blood Echoes within Lower Pthumeru Chalice.
- Defiled Chalice - Kill the Bloodletting Beast in Lower Pthumeru Chalice.
- Cursed and Defiled Root Chalice - Kill the Watchdogs of the Old Lords in Defiled Chalice.
- Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice - Kill Amygdala in the Defiled Chalice.
- Pthumeru Ihyll Root Chalice - Kill the Headless Bloodletting Beast in Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice.
- Sinister Pthumeru Ihyll Root Chalice - Sold by Messengers for 16,000 Blood Echoes within Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice.
- Hintertomb Chalice - Found in a chest within Central Pthumeru Chalice.
- Hintertomb Root Chalice - Kill the Undead Giant in Hintertomb Chalice.
- Lower Hintertomb Chalice - Kill the Blood-Starved Beast in Hintertomb Chalice.
- Lower Hintertomb Root Chalice - Kill the Forgotten Madman in Lower Hintertomb Chalice.
- Sinister Hintertomb Root Chalice - Sold by Messengers for 10,000 within Lower Hintertomb Chalice.
- Ailing Loran Chalice - Earned by killing Amygdala.
- Ailing Loran Root Chalice - Kill the Blood-Starved Beast in Ailing Loran Chalice.
- Lower Loran Chalice - Kill the Abhorrent Beast in Ailing Loran Chalice.
- Lower Ailing Loran Root Chalice - Kill the Loran Darkbeast in Lower Loran Chalice.
- Sinister Lower Loran Root Chalice - Sold by Messengers for 18,000 Blood Echoes within Lower Loran Chalice.
- Great Isz Chalice - Earned by killing Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos.
- Isz Root Chalice - Kill Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos in Great Isz Chalice.
- Sinister Isz Root Chalice - Sold by Messengers for 20,000 Blood Echoes within Great Isz Chalice.
This is a complete list of all the Chalice Dungeons you’ll find in Bloodborne, although there’s no guaranteeing which enemies will be in each dungeon. Ultimately, Bloodborne Chalice Dungeons can be unpredictable at best, and a nightmare at worst. Pack your best gear and weapons with you, and forge ahead into each one to discover the secrets within.