Weapons are the key to winning a Fortnite Battle Royale match, and bringing you as close as possible to obtaining that precious Victory Royale. In this Fortnite best weapons page, we'll be walking you through how to quickly obtain some of the very best weapons on offer in Battle Royale, including elite items like the Suppressed Assault Rifle, the Quad Launcher, the Compact SMG, and more, including some details on the best Fortnite weapon locations around the map, so you know where to head straight away.
Coming into mid September, we’re now supposedly less than a week away from Fortnite Season 6 launching for all Battle Royale players. For a complete compilation of everything we know so far about the upcoming seasonal event for Battle Royale, head over to our Fortnite Season 6 guide.
Best Fortnite Battle Royale Weapons
The following list of the best weapons in Fortnite Battle Royale is based on three factors: their damage output per bullet, how many rounds they fire per minute, and how versatile they are. This is a ranking list of the top 10 weapons in Battle Royale based on our experience with the game so far, and note that we’re only including weapons that are available in the game at the time of writing (sorry, Drum Gun).
- 10: Tactical Submachine Gun - It might not seem it, but when you're in close quarters, there's nothing better than a rapid firing weapon. The tactical submachine gun doesn't even sacrifice stopping power for firing rate, as it also boasts a decent damage output rating of 17.
- 9: Grenade Launcher - If you're lucky enough to find an Epic or Legendary variety of the Grenade Launcher, then you've got yourself a gamechanging weapon, especially if you can manage to stick around until the very end of a match. The Grenade Launcher can decimate structures, and can kill an enemy in a single hit, if you've managed to acquire an Epic or Legendary Grenade Launcher.
- 8: Heavy Shotgun - Shotguns definitely aren’t for everyone in Fortnite, especially if you having got amazing reflex times (me). If you’re a dab hand at aiming very quickly, then the Heavy Shotgun is perfect for you, able to take out an opponent in a single point blank shot.
- 7: Quad Launcher - Need we say more? The Quad Launcher is an even more powerful version of the already deadly RPG, able to fire off four rockets in a row before you have to reload, making it a perfect weapon for taking out structures very quickly.
- 6: Double Barrelled Shotgun - It’s basically the same as the Heavy Shotgun, only with even more stopping power. The Legendary version of the Double Barrelled Shotgun boasts a massive 130 damage as standard, and if you can manage to hit a player in the head with one of the two shots, you’re guaranteed a kill.
- 5: Assault Rifle (SCAR) - We’re talking about the Epic and Legendary versions of the Fortnite Assault Rifle here, which transform the weapon entirely in appearance. With a 35 damage rating at minimum, the SCAR version of the Assault Rifle can deal some heavy damage from range.
- 4: Heavy Sniper - This sniper rifle is devastating in Fortnite, with a 150 damage rating at minimum whenever you score a hit. A headshot equals a guaranteed kill with this weapon no matter what, meaning if you’re accurate, you’re going to wrack up kills quickly.
- 3: Suppressed Submachine Gun - Oddly enough, the Suppressed version of the Submachine Guns actually boast more damage than their non-Suppressed counterparts in Fortnite. This means that this type of weapon can kill in merely a second at close range, especially if you’ve got the Uncommon or Rare version of the weapon.
- 2: Suppressed Assault Rifle - This weapon has the element of surprise, while not sacrificing range or firepower, unlike the suppressed submachine gun. The Suppressed Assault Rifle wasn’t added to Fortnite Battle Royale too long ago, but it’s definitely become one of the best weapons in the game in that short period of time.
- 1: Compact SMG - With the fastest firing rate in the entire game, you can’t beat the Compact SMG when you’re in close quarters. It’s great for tearing through opposing structures if you’ve got enough ammo stashed up, and it’ll take less than a second of constant fire to kill another player, even with their shields at full strength.
As we mentioned before, these are our personal best weapons available in Fortnite Battle Royale right now. We’ll be constantly updating the list just above based on Epic tweaking existing weapons, and adding entirely new weapons to Battle Royale.
But where are your best bets for consistently finding some of these weapons in Fortnite? Weapon drops are obviously randomized in Battle Royale, but just below, you can see an overview of some of the locations where you should always be aiming to land, as it’s here that you’re nearly always guaranteed to find at least one or two of the weapons listed above.
For now, you can check out our Fortnite Week 10 Challenges guide. We’re now into the final week of Fortnite Season 5, and if you’ve got any challenges to wrap up from the current season, now is the time.
This article may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and buy the product we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.