Super Smash Bros Ultimate looks to be the most content-packed entry into the series yet. There are 74 characters to play as, hundreds of stages, and over 800 audio tracks to work with. With all of these new features, we figured it'd be good to build character pages for every fighter in the game. In this Super Smash Bros Ultimate Dark Samus Guide, we'll be taking a look at Dark Samus. She's a brand new fighter in the game, acting as an Echo fighter for Samus. Despite being an Echo fighter, there are plenty of differences to the regular version, from new animations to taunts.
For more on Super Smash Bros Ultimate, you can head over to our Smash Bros Ultimate Characters Guide. It's got an ever-growing list of guides on every character in the game. We add them in regularly, so it's definitely worth checking back to see if we've covered your favorite fighter yet.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Dark Samus Guide
Dark Samus is a brand new fighter for Super Smash Bros Ultimate. She serves as an Echo Fighter to Samus, though there are enough differences to make her feel distinct. We've compiled everything you need to know about Dark Samus below:
Dark Samus Smash Bros. Ultimate Moves Set and Final Smash
Dark Samus is the villainous counterpart to standard Samus in the Metroid series. In the table below, you can see a complete moves list for Dark Samus in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
|Special Move Controls||Special Type||Special Move Name|
|B||Neutral Special||Charge Shot|
|Left Stick Left/Right + B||Green Missile||Missile|
|Left Stick Up + B||Up Special||Screw Attack|
|Left Stick Down + B||Down Special||Bomb|
|B when FS Meter is Full||Final Smash||Phazon Laser|
Super Smash Bros Ultimate Dark Samus Tips
Dark Samus can be a tricky character to master, though is extremely effective when used right. We've listed some essential Dark Samus tips to keep in mind while playing.
- Use Dark Samus' bombs constantly, they're great for slowing your decent.
- If an enemy is attempting to climb back onto the stage, drop a bomb at the edge and then fire a fully charged B Special. This will instantly break the shield and stun them.
- Up Special can be used to juggle opponents.
- Down Smash is a particularly easy Meteor Smash to use.
- Dash attack deals massive knockback
- You can use tether to get back to the edge.
- Grab then hold up to start a move that is easy to turn into a juggle.
- Up Smash can be used to stop opponents coming in from the air
How to Unlock Dark Samus in Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Unlike previous Smash games, fighters are unlocked in the same way for all, rather than character-specific challenges. This means that while it can be a bit of a grind, all you need to do is play the game naturally and you’ll eventually unlock all of the characters in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. We’ve listed the three ways you can unlock characters in Super Smash Bros Ultimate below:
- Playing the World of Light single-player mode.
- Completing Classic Mode with a character.
- Playing the ‘Challenger Approaches’ fights that appear regularly, you will need to win them.
The fastest method involves triggering the Challenger Fights by reloading the game regularly. We’ve listed the method below:
- Quit to the home screen and Restart the game.
- Create a match with a custom rule set.
- Make sure the match is 1 minute long, or 1 stock if you'd prefer.
- After finishing the match (you can win or lose) you will offered a new Challenger Fight.
- You'll need to win the Challenger fight
For more info on unlocking characters using the modes listed above, head over to our Super Smash Bros Ultimate Character Unlock Guide .
Super Smash Bros Ultimate Dark Samus Differences
Dark Samus is an Echo Fighter to Samus meaning that while she shares the same moveset, there are some slight differences that make her feel distinct. We've listed all of the differences between Dark Samus and Samus below:
- New Taunts
- New Victory Pose.
- Projectiles appear with darker visual effects.
- Final Smash is blue and black.
- Dark Samus' roll backwards move is different, in that she does not transform into Morph Ball.
- Charge Shot visuals have been altered.
Super Smash Bros Ultimate Dark Samus Alternate Costumes
Dark Samus has their own alternate Costumes, separate from Samus. They are all simple color swaps, with her default outfit rendered in green, purple, red, yellow, grey, black and pink. You can check out the purple variant in the image embedded above.
Super Smash Bros Ultimate Dark Samus amiibo
All of the new fighters will be getting Super Smash Bros Ultimate amiibos at some point. This includes Dark Samus, and while we haven't seen what it looks like yet, Nintendo has confirmed that it is on its way.
Super #SmashBros Collection #amiibo of the five newly announced Super Smash Bros. Ultimate fighters – Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont, King K. Rool, Chrom and Dark Samus – will be released in the future!Nintendo of Europe (@NintendoEurope) August 8, 2018
Super Smash Bros Ultimate Dark Samus Final Smash
Dark Samus has her own Final Smash in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. It's called Phazon Laser, and is functionally identical to Samus' Final Smash. The visual effects are different though, with a dark blue and black design.
That's everything we know about Dark Samus in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. We'll be adding more info as we get it, but in the meantime you can head over to our Super Smash Bros Ultimate Guides Hub for more info on the game.