10 Best Game Announcements at E3 2018

E3 2018 was full of surprises, and we want to share the happy memories with you.

Feature by Nadia Oxford, .

E3 is traditionally full of surprises, and E3 2018 is no different. Though some developers opted to avoid the deluge by announcing new games some weeks before the show, this year's E3 isn't lacking for big surprises.

Here are the top 10 E3 2018 game reveals that really turned our heads and made us say "Oh! Cool!"

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Leon Kennedy is back in a slick and gory Resident Evil 2 remake for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. The zombies are foul, the violence is over-the-top, and Kennedy's hair is perfect as usual. It's been a long time (16 years, in fact) since the first Resident Evil received a remake, so talk about a spooky surprise. Look for it on January 25, 2019.

Starfield

Bethesda is finally at work on its first original IP in decades (not that it's giving The Elder Scrolls a rest; the world won't allow it). Bethesda game studio director Todd Howard said we're probably not going to see Starfield until the next generation of systems, so, uh, sit down and get comfortable. What planet is that in the trailer, though? Maybe it's a moon? I hope it's a moon. I hope it's Europa.

Forza Horizon 4

Forza Horizon 4 looks like it offers more of the exciting-yet some how supremely relaxing-driving fun the Forza Horizon series is famous for. This time our tires will squeal across Britain's beautiful countryside, and through its seasons. A Forza Horizon reveal is never an unwelcome event in this stressful world, and you can annoy sheep this time around with your loud motor. Very nice. Coming to Xbox One and PC on October 2.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Here's what FromSoftware's been up to, and it looks great. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is an action game in a fantastical world based around Japanese mythology and history. The action is varied and offers face-to-face combat as well as opportunities for stealth-and the chance to go nuts with a grappling hook. Our own Mike took a deeper look at Shadows Die Twice on the show floor, and all signs point to another winner from FromSoftware. Coming to PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One in early 2019.

Control

It's hard to describe just what's going on in the trailer for 505 Games' Control, but this much is certain: All that low percussion and shifting imagery leaves us feeling a little weirded out. Whatever Control is about, its main protagonist, Jesse Faden, appears to utilize psychic powers and a shifting weapon to feel her way around an intangible world known only as "The Oldest House." We want to know more, lots more-which is the number-one sign Control's reveal is a nice piece of work. Coming in 2019 for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

We knew Fire Emblem is coming to the Nintendo Switch, but further details were extremely scarce. That changed with the E3 2018 Nintendo Direct presentation, where we heard a name and saw a trailer. The trailer footage for Fire Emblem: Three Houses gives us a good look at the next generation for this positively ancient (but well-respected) strategy series, and some of the visual design choices are super-cool. I love how you can see your army attack alongside you when you make an assault on a foe. Fire Emblem: Three Houses is coming to the Switch in spring of 2019.

Tetris Effect

We don't know if there's such a thing as "the perfect developer for the perfect game," but we're going to go ahead and say putting Lumines' Tetsuya Mizuguchi on a new Tetris game is one of the most inspired choices in the history of this industry. This trailer alone just takes us to wonderful places. Whew. Coming to PlayStation 4 and PSVR this fall.

Wolfenstein: Young Blood

The good news is, we're getting a new co-op enabled Wolfenstein game starring BJ's twin daughters. The bad news is, it takes place nearly two decades after Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, and Nazis are still running riot over the United States. In other words, the conflict goes on and on. But we get a new game, so ... hooray? Coming in 2019.

Doom Eternal‏

And over in Bethesda's other corner, we have the Doom Marine. He doesn't get weepy or emotional over the futility of war. He lives for it. He's dipping back into Hell for a little more ripping and tearing. We'll learn more at this year's QuakeCon in August.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

As with Fire Emblem Three Houses, E3 2018 also gave us our first good look at Assassin's Creed Odyssey. The narrative-heavy trailer takes us to ancient Greece, where we learn more about our titular assassin this time around and their magical broken spear-weapon (it's better than it sounds). Oh, and we finally have our choice of being a lady assassin. Fabulous! Coming to PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on October 5.

Related Tags

Where is Cyberpunk 2077? Im pretty sure that's currently the most viewed trailer from the conference, shame you guys don't have more CD Projekt love.
    I didn't realize there even were 10 game announcements at E3 this year.
    Moving on from BJ was the best decision they could make for Wolfenstein. He was the worst part of New Colossus and a huge part about why I felt that way was because he shouldn't have been in that game at all. And they not only decided to bring him back for the sequel they also had that stupid twist that they failed to execute on in a more meaningful way.

THANK GOD BJ IS NOT PLAYABLE AND WE CAN MOVE PAST THE TRAVESTY THAT WAS NEW COLOSSUS

His daughters are gonna kick so much ass in 1980's Nazi Hawkins, Indiana. I KNOW IT!
    Glad to see Fire Emblem Three Houses included. While I was hoping for a 2018 release, I would rather Intelligent Systems take their time and give fans the FE experience we have waited for.
  • Avatar for FitzChivalry #5 FitzChivalry 3 months ago
    @Just1212

Even though we barely knew a thing about it until a couple of days ago, Cyberpunk 2077 was actually announced back in 2013. There are some great games I am hugely hyped for shown this year. But the promise of what Cyberpunk 2077 could be, make it far and away my most anticipated game talked about at this year's E3.
    The highlights for me were the following things...

Devil May Cry 5: I'm honestly kinda surprised this didn't make the USgamer list. It's the first DMC we've seen in five years and the first DMC in the classic series in a decade. I am seriously down for some Cyborg Nero fun times.

Unravel two, Prey DLC, and a console port of Fallout Shelter are real and they are out right now: Really excited about these. Also CoD BlOPs 3 is free I guess.

Spider-Man villains besides that monochrome guy I'd never heard of: Electro! Rhino! Scorpion! Vulture! I know 75% of 'em are B-tier villains but I was still very happy to see them.

One historical Japanese action game! Two historical Japanese action games! Three! That's three historical Japanese action games! *thunder booming* Ah-ah-ah! I know Sekiro was the coolest reveal, but I was still happy to see footage of Ghost of Tsushima and a trailer for Nioh 2.

Everybody in Smash: Generally I play each new Smash regularly for a couple of months before falling off the train, but I still love these games and it's great that Snake v. Cloud v. Ridley v. Pichu will be a real thing and not just a fantasy.

Pirates of the Caribbean is back in Kingdom Hearts 3 and it brought along Black Flag's ship combat: I'm no Kingdom Hearts super fan, but the game really looks like it's shaping up to be the best entry in the series.

Elder Scrolls: Blades looks really cool: I know it's a mobile game, but Bethesda makes some damn fine mobile games (see Fallout Shelter). An Elder Scrolls roguelike/town building sim sounds like it's made just for me.

Sea of Solitude also looks cool: I couldn't give half a damn about most of EA's stuff, but they have the publishing rights to some really neat indies.

REmake 2 footage: Woot.

so i herd u liek mehca gaems: DAEMON x MACHINA looks awesome.Edited 2 times. Last edited June 2018 by MetManMas
  • Avatar for FitzChivalry #7 FitzChivalry 3 months ago
    @MetManMas

Devil May Cry 5. I have so little experience with these games, but that trailer was great fun.

Spider-man looks great. Looks like it should easily be the best Spidey game ever made.

So does Resident Evil 2! I hate when they announce a game that really piques your interest and then they all but go dark for years. Glad they are finally showing it though. And it's coming in January!

The Elder Scrolls: Blades announcement...I initially rolled my eyes, because I'm not a huge mobile gamer. But by the end of the reveal I was on board with the idea. I also like that it will be on PC, since I was that guy that played more Fallout Shelter on my PC.
    Sekiro
    Wolfenstein Youngblood
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Cyberpunk 2077
    Daemon X Machina
    Devil May Cry 5Edited June 2018 by chaoticBeat
  • Avatar for Fourfoldroot #9 Fourfoldroot 3 months ago
    For me Nioh2, Astro Bot and Tales of Vesperia Complete Edition should be on the list. Excited for these games. Few really big announcements, but seeing more Spider Man and Ghost of Tsushima is always welcome.
    Cyberpunk 2077

After reading the observations of the almost hour-long gameplay demo, my anticipation level greatly increased, which is amazing because I've been excited for CDPR's new title for years now. I look forward to spending hundreds of hours playing this game.
  • Avatar for discohospital #11 discohospital 3 months ago
    I'm still honestly perplexed at the lack of attention to Déraciné. It's a new collaboration between From Software and Japan Studio, directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki. Is it that people are still skeptical towards VR? Is he only respected as it pertains to Souls-like games? Are adventure games not cool? Do non-Apple users have trouble typing diacritics?

I was looking forward to a Fire Emblem announcement, but somehow I came away uncertain based on the trailer shown. Maybe I should watch it again and give it a closer look. I'll reserve judgement either way.
    @discohospital That From Software VR thing just doesn't look interesting. It looks like a walking simulator.
    @Roto13@discohospital "Is a walking simulator" is exactly why I'm interested in it. Only thing keeping it from being an absolute buy for me is that I have to pay $300 for a silly hat to play it.
  • Avatar for discohospital #14 discohospital 3 months ago
    @Roto13@MetManMas I was just joking with someone about Death Stranding (which I'm also looking forward to) looking like a "stealth walking simulator". I dunno, I like the idea of creators known for their work in popular genres branching out and exploring uncommon or uncharted territory, since they've got the name recognition to guarantee some level of marketability. And anyway, no one knew what to make of Demon's Souls when it first came out either, after all. It's true the hat may be an obstacle (perhaps in more ways than one), though.
    My favorite ones in no particular order and with the caveat that I’m referring to games of which we haven’t seen anything at all before or at most a very small teaser:

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    Resident Evil 2 Remake
    Devil May Cry 5
    Daemon X Machina
    Fire Emblem Three Houses
    Control
    Cyberpunk 2077
    Doom Eternal
    Jump ForceEdited June 2018 by docexe
    Not a lot from this E3 is appealing to me - or, if it is, it's stuff I already knew about, or stuff I'm curious but on the fence about - but the Tetris Effect trailer gave me chills. I am 110% on board and cannot wait to see what Tetsuya Mizuguchi does with this.
    The highlights for me were:

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    Trials Rising
    Resident Evil 2
    Cyberpunk 2077

And then a bunch more I'm curious about. Good E3.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #18 donkeyintheforest 3 months ago
    So the original donkey kong was just released for the first time ever. its available on switch now apparently... nintendo is so weird!
    It seems kinda crazy that Devil May Cry 5 isn't on this list, but okay, sure.
    i'm sad, i like to play games more strategic like age of empires and empire earth.. mantap jiwa dah broooo

HP Envy 5055 Driver Download