In Destiny 2, players discovered a secret mission well after launch, which enables you to unlock one of the more elite weapons in the entire game. In this Destiny 2 Whisper guide, we'll be detailing how you can quickly complete the secret mission, and how you can first uncover it on the planet of Io. There's also all the information you need on the Destiny 2 Whisper of the Worm Exotic, which itself is mainly a reskin of the Black Spindle weapon from the original game.
If you’re looking to the horizon for anything upcoming for Bungie’s sci fi shooter, you’ll want to check out our Destiny 2 DLC guide. It’s here that you can find all the information you need on the new Annual Pass for the game, as well as everything we know so far about the forthcoming Forsaken DLC pack, hitting later this year.
Destiny 2 Whisper
The Whisper is a secret quest in Destiny 2, that has only been recently solved for the very first time. It was discovered by the larger Destiny community, who revealed that if you entirely ignore the events of the Taken Blight Public Event on Io, you can uncover a brand new, secret mission.
What is Destiny 2 Exotic Whisper of the Worm? Is Whisper the Black Spindle?
As a reward for completing The Whisper quest in Destiny 2, you'll be given the Whisper of the Worm weapon. We'll detail both the quest and the weapon further down, but it's basically an Exotic sniper rifle, that's also a reskin of the Black Spindle sniper rifle from the original Destiny. The Black Spindle was one of the more powerful weapons in the original game, anf the Whisper of the World Exotic follows this.
How to get Destiny 2 Whisper
To uncover this secret in Destiny 2, you have to follow the steps below:
- Head to Io, to the Lost Oasis area.
- Activate the Taken Blight Public Event.
- Ignore all the objectives for the Public Event as soon as it begins.
- Head to the northwestern corner of the Lost Oasis area, near the Lost Sector.
- Quickly search for the Taken Champion boss, along with everyone else you’ve managed to gather together.
- Defeat the boss, and then look to higher ground to find a portal, which your Fireteam leader needs to activate, with the rest of the team in close proximity.
- You’ll kick off The Whisper mission, which you now have 20 minutes to complete.
- You’re now faced with a cavern section, which you need to make your way through as quickly as possible to save time.
- When you come to the platform section, take extra care to get the jumps right, prioritising accuracy over speed, leaving one member of your Fireteam behind initially in case everyone else falls.
- Watch out for the darker sections of the ledges, as this will tell you where the blocks can shoot out from, potentially knocking you off the edge if you’re not careful.
- In the next platforming section, you need to time your jumps in coordination with the Taken Blights that shoot out of the walls. You need to be in midair when the Blights shoot, so that you’re not in their path on the ledge when they fire, pushing you off to certain death.
- When you reach the massive area with the teleportation spheres, you need to enter the one on the very back right.
- Platform up the tiny ledges on the left wall, then work your way around the entire room, until you come to a final crack in the wall.
- Jump down into the crack, land on the green ledge, and venture into the wall. You’ll eventually come out at another giant area.
- Once you’ve worked your way around to the left on the tiny ledge, take a massive jump across the huge chasm, and land on the tiny, lit platform well below you.
- Now comes the combat section. You’re in a huge area with Taken, but you need to kill both the Blights and the Taken, you can’t just kill the Blights and run forward.
- You’ll need to make your way through successive rooms just like this, taking out the Taken and the Blights as you go. Make sure to use the caves to either side of each room to your advantage.
- The final battle starts when you drop down a huge opening in the ground, coming to an even bigger room full of Taken.
- Quickly deal with the Blights, but when you near another wave of Taken spawning in, this is the signal that the bosses are almost here.
- Using the cave system to either side of the area, you need to focus your fire on the three successive bosses, as quickly as possible.
- Once the final boss bites the dust, the Whisper of the Worm is yours.
Destiny 2 Whisper of the Worm Weapon Stats
So, how good is the Whisper of the Worm weapon in Destiny 2? We mentioned before that it's a reskin of the Black Spindle sniper from the original Destiny, but it also has the White Nail perk, increasing base precision damage, on top of a 385 damage rating as standard.
On top of this, the magazine will reload entirely if you land three precision hits in a row with the Whisper of the Worm. It also has the Mulligan perk, meaning any missed shots have a chance to be returned to your magazine straight away. The Exotic sniper has the maximum impact rating, and it's range and stability ratings follow fairly close behind.
All in all, the Whisper of the Worm is undoubtedly one of the more elite weapons in Destiny 2, but good luck getting your hands on it.