The Valkyries are the most powerful enemies that you can face off against in God of War, and they're a huge challenge for both Kratos and Atreus. In this God of War Valkyries guide, we'll be walking you through a complete list of the God of War Valkyrie locations that you can find around the vast map of the game.
For more help with God of War that isn't about finding and defeating the Valkyries, head over to our God of War Walkthrough hub. It's got a complete guide to the whole story and how to find collectible items.
God of War Valkyrie Locations
In God of War you'll unlock the Valkyrie Locations by completing numerous parts of the main God of War story. Each of the eight Valkyrie locations in God of War are home to a different and incredibly tough battle. You'll need to beat all eight to unlock a ninth location and battle. It's worth going into this with the best armor and weapons, as these will be tough fights. While you don't need to finish God of War to take on the Valkyries or find their locations, they are classed as end-game content due to how tough they are to beat.
It's worth noting that you'll need to have got your hands on a chisel in order to gain access to the Chamber of Odin. Thankfully we've got a God of War Magic Chisel Walkthrough for you. You'll also need to have access to Niflheim and Muspelheim by finding the four cipher pieces required for each.
- God of War Magic Chisel Walkthrough
- God of War Niflheim Cipher Pieces
- God of War Muspelheim Cipher Pieces
How to Unlock 9th Valkyrie Location in God of War
Once you've defeated the eight Valkyries in God of War you'll have acquired the head of each. Take these heads to the council of the Valkyries and you'll unlock a 9th Valkyrie location. This is a fight against the Valkyrie Queen, which is an even tougher fight that the previous eight.
God of War Valkyrie Boss Locations
Here are the locations for the nine Valkyries in God of War. As you can see, six Valkyries are found in the Hidden Chamber of Odin. Remember that Sigrun can only be fought once you've defeated the other eight Valkyries.
To find all the Valkyrie Locations you need to start the 'Prove your Valour' side mission. To do this you must find your first Valkyrie, which then lets you locate all the remaining Valkyrie on the in-game map.
- Gunnr - Location: Thamur’s Corpse - Hidden Chamber of Odin
- Geirdriful - Location: Foothills - Hidden Chamber of Odin
- Eir - Location: The Mountain - Hidden Chamber of Odin
- Kara - Location: Witch’s Basement - Hidden Chamber of Odin
- Rota - Location: Helheim - Hidden Chamber of Odin
- Olrun - Location: Alfheim Light Elf Shore - Hidden Chamber of Odin
- Gondul - Location: Muspelheim Trial VI
- Hildr - Location: Niflheim
- Sigrun - Location: Council of Valkyries
God of War Valkyrie Tips - How to Defeat the Valkyries
Each battle against a Valkyrie is different, but there are some general tips you can use to give you the best shot of defeating them. We've put a selection of pointers for you below:
- You'll want to be at least level 6, but ideally higher, before you tackle a Valkyrie in God of War.
- Take your time to spot the right time to attack.
- Take a resurrection stone into each fight to get an extra chance if you get wiped out with an unblockable attack.
- Be aware of each Valkyrie's air-based unblockable attack - shown by a red ring of light. At this moment make Atreus fire an arrow at the Valkyrie.
- Magic attacks cause more damage that standard combo attacks, so make sure you go in with the best gear to maximise this.
What Rewards do you get for Defeating Valkyrie
The main reward for defeating Valkyrie in God of War is Valkyrie armor. This is some of the best armor in the game, so it's worth taking on these challenging enemies and eventually taking on the Valkyrie Queen.
If you want to know how to take down the formiddable Valkyrie Queen, also known as Sigrun, as quickly as possible, check out our full God of War Valkyrie Queen boss guide.
How to get Valkyrie Armor
You need to defeat three Valkyrie to get the Valkyrie armor, but you'll want to defeat them all to fully upgrade the Valkyrie armor. Each upgrade requires Asgardian steel that you acquire by killing Valkyries (some drop even better Perfect Asgardian Steel). As well as steel you'll need to get your hands on Mist Echoes, Haze Weave, Niflheim Allow, and Aesirbane.
Items Required to Fully Upgrade Valkyrie Armor
- Asgardian Steel (from defeating Valkyries)
- Perfect Asgardian Steel (from defeating Queen, Gondul, Rota, Olrun, and Eir)
- Mist Echoes (Niflheim)
- Haze Weave (Niflheim)
- Aesirbane (Niflheim)
- Niflheim Alloy (Niflheim)
With the fully upgraded Valkyrie armor you have one of the best armor sets in God of war, so it's worth the effort required to get hold of. Just make sure you're prepared for the epic battles that are ahead of you. If you want more great armor, check out our God of War Best Armor guide.