God of War allows you to find rare Horns of Blood Mead to increase your maximum capacity for Spartan Rage, the meter rising for each three horns you find. We'll show you here all Horn of Blood Mead locations and how you can find them across Midgard.
On this page:
- All Horn of Blood Mead Locations in God of War
- Foothills Horn of Blood Mead
- Mountain Horn of Blood Mead
- Ringed Temple Horn of Blood Mead
- Ringed Temple Horn of Blood Mead
- Inside the Mountain Horn of Blood Mead
- Witch’s Cave Horn of Blood Mead
- Helheim Horn of Blood Mead
- Veithurgard Horn of Blood Mead
- Fafnir’s Storeroom Horn of Blood Mead
All Horn of Blood Mead Locations in God of War
There are nine total Horn of Blood Mead items scattered throughout the entire God of War map, and for every three you collect, you’ll permanently boost the maximum Rage meter of Kratos, meaning he can stay angry and pumped up for longer.
Unlocking the Nornir chests containing the actual Horn of Blood Mead items is by no means an easy feat. First you’ve got to actually find the chest itself, and then you’ll have to either smash three seal jars around the environment, or hit all three with your Leviathan Axe within a certain amount of time. Either way, it’s by no means an easy task.
Below we'll give you all the info you need to find and obtain each of the Horns of Blood Mead. This includes all locations and puzzle solutions so you can upgrade the time Kratos can use Rage Mode.
Foothills Horn of Blood Mead
During the Path to the Mountain quest, you can come across a ceiling of spikes which will continually descend on Kratos, unless one of the discs in the environment is frozen with the Leviathan Axe.
- Freeze the cog in the corner of the room, and look up to see the first seal jar.
- Hop on top of the floor of spikes by passing through the back door and letting it descend.
- Get on top of the spike floor, and look to your left to see the second seal jar in a cavern.
- Head to the edge of the floor, hit the yellow board to make the floor rise, and smash the jar on the raised wooden floor in front of you.
- Head to the chest in the left of area to claim the first Horn of Blood Mead.
Mountain Horn of Blood Mead
This chest can be found to the right of the area in which you first meet Sindri, Brok’s brother. You’ll need to rotate the three contraptions to show the correct symbols in order to complete this task.
- Hit the contraption behind the chest itself, until it displays the sideways ‘M’ symbol.
- Head back down the hill down the path, and make sure the second contraption is displaying the symbol with a triangle pointing right.
- Go right and freeze a brazier in front of you, and hit the contraption until it shows the backwards ‘B’ symbol.
Ringed Temple Horn of Blood Mead
As you head towards the main Ringed Temple door over the large light bridge, head down the slope on the left, and hit the two tendons locking the door shut, before you take on this Nornir chest timer challenge.
- Hit the hanging pot nearest the slope you came down.
- Quickly recall the axe, and hit the pot high above the first one on the right.
- Sprint down the tunnel.
- As soon as you’re within range of the final pot, hit it to unlock the Nornir chest.
Ringed Temple Horn of Blood Mead
Just as you’re leaving the Ringed Temple, you can find the Nornir chest on a high ledge straight opposite from the large exit door. You’ll need to plant and activate a crystal in the pedestal near the Nornir chest, in order to form a light bridge.
- Position yourself on the left of the chest, facing through the gap in the fence.
- Aim above the hanging pot in the distance to hit it with the axe.
- Recall the axe, turn slightly left to hit the pot next to the chest itself.
- Spin around, and hit the pot straight behind Kratos.
- Go over the light bridge and to the Nornir chest to claim the Horn of Blood Mead.
Inside the Mountain Horn of Blood Mead
This Nornir chest is found during the ‘Inside the Mountain’ quest, after you’ve defeated a Revenant, several Nightmares, and a few fire Draugr, all near a stone bridge running overheard. Destroy the wooden board on the left of the area to expose a crystal that Atreus can activate, creating a light bridge that leads up to the Nornir chest.
- Head back to the light bridge and look left to see the first contraption, which needs to show the ‘R’ symbol.
- Go onto the bridge and look down to see another contraption, which needs to show ‘N’.
- Look up and to the right to see the final contraption in the distance.
- Aim above the contraption, and hit it until it shows the ‘B’ symbol.
Witch’s Cave Horn of Blood Mead
You’ll need to start off from the main, open area of the Witch’s Cave, that you’ll reach right after you’ve descended down the ramp leading away from her home.
- Turn left and smash through the sap wall. Keep going ahead, and look up to see a seal jar in the rock wall.
- Head back into the main area, and turn right, descending down the ledges until you can create a light bridge ahead of you.
- Before you head onto the bridge, turn left to see the second seal jar hidden in a waterfall.
- Go over the light bridge, and smash the sap wall in the rocks to the left of the chest.
- Hop up to where the sap wall was, and look in the high left corner of the room to see the final seal jar.
Helheim Horn of Blood Mead
This Nornir chest containing the Horn of Blood Mead can be found when both Kratos and Atreus are in Helheim, right before they board the ship to escape. Turn left, away from the ship, and push the large stone block until it falls into the ground, giving you a bridge to the Nornir chest.
- Hop up on the moveable stone block to the right of the chest, and look down to your right to see the first seal jar.
- Jump off the block on the block on the left, and look straight ahead to see the second seal jar on a tower on the water.
- Turn right around, and you can see the final seal jar within the actual block itself.
- Smash the final jar, and return to the chest to claim the Horn of Blood Mead from Helheim.
Veithurgard Horn of Blood Mead
This Nornir chest in Viethurgard, in the north eastern reaches of the Midgard map.
- The first seal jar can be found on the right of the Nornir chest, in the ceiling of the rock.
- Head to the left of the chest to the runic ledge, and look to the fallen log to see the second seal jar in the rock wall.
- Go over the rope bridge and round to the right, and you can see the seal jar in the distance at the edge of the area.
Fafnir’s Storeroom Horn of Blood Mead
The location of Fafnir’s Storeroom itself can be found to the west of the Lake of Nine, past the Forgotten Caverns.
- First, hit the hanging pot high up to the left of the Nornir chest itself.
- Quickly recall the Leviathan Axe and hit the pot directly above the chest itself.
- Finally, hit the pot to the right of the chest to unlock it for good.
Now that we’re all wrapped up with where you can find and unlock all the nine Horn of Blood Mead items spread over the God of War map, why not continue ahead to our Idunn Apple locations, or our God of War Muspelheim Cipher Pieces guide, for all you need to know on tracking down both items.
For more God of War content, Mike's review of the game can be found waiting here. Or take a look to see how the game's World Serpent had his voice made over here.