Idunn Apples are special collectibles in God of War that increase your maximum health for every three of them you find. In this guide below, we'll show you all the Idunn Apple locations and how many there are for you to collect.
On this page:
- All Idunn Apple Locations in God of War
- Where to Find Idunn Apples
- Wildwoods Idunn Apple
- River Pass Idunn Apple
- Foothills Idunn Apple
- Lake of Nine Idunn Apple
- Forgotten Caverns Idunn Apple
- Alfheim Idunn Apple
- Mountain Idunn Apple
- Tyr’s Vault Idunn Apple
- Light Elf Outpost Idunn Apple
All Idunn Apple Locations in God of War
Idunn Apples in God of War are extremely rare items that Kratos and Atreus can unearth, and for every three that you find, you’ll slightly increase the maximum health of Kratos permanently.
There are just nine Idunn Apples spread out across the game, but unlocking them isn’t easy. When you find the Nornir chest containing the Idunn Apple with three glowing blue runes on it, there are two methods of unlocking said chests: you’ll either have to smash all three seal jars in any order, or you’ll have to whack three hanging pots within a certain amount of time.
Neither of these methods is a stroll in the park, and you’ll have to either be scouring the nearby environment in order to find all three seal jars to smash, or you’ll have to be quick on your feet in order to hit all three pots in time. We’ll detail which method applies to which Nornir chest in the guide just below.
Where to Find Idunn Apples
In the section below we'll detail all the God of War Idunn Apple locations and how to solve the rune puzzles. Follow our Idunn Apple Location Guide and you'll be able to fully upgrade Kratos' maximum health.
Wildwoods Idunn Apple
The Nornir chest containing the very first Idunn Apple is found right after Kratos and Atreus encounter Draugr for the very first time in the Wildwoods.
- After the combat encounter, head straight ahead to where you can smash a wooden board.
- You’ll have to find and smash the three seal jars in this cramped cave.
- First is in a wooden cart, the other two are on the walls of the area.
- Open the chest to claim the first Idunn Apple.
River Pass Idunn Apple
The second Idunn Apple can be found in the Nornir chest that’s just inside the ruins, right after you’ve encountered a Revenant for the very first time. You can find the chest in an open area, straight opposite a raised bridge.
- The first seal jar can be found to the left of the Nornir chest on the wall.
- Stand to the left of the bridge, and look up to see the second jar on the cliff edge.
- Lower the bridge by hitting the two discs with the Leviathan Axe.
- Head over the bridge, look to the left to see the jar through a gap in the rocks.
Foothills Idunn Apple
This Nornir chest containing the Idunn Apple is found to the left of the wide open area where you fight the Brenna Daudi troll, and is one of the ones connected to a timer.
- The Nornir chest can be found on the cliff edge, in the left of the area.
- Start by hitting the pot on the right of the chest.
- Recall the axe ASAP, then hit the pot on the left of the Nornir chest.
- Sprint to the middle of the area, and you’ll see the final pot ahead of you, near a shard of rock sticking up from the ground.
Lake of Nine Idunn Apple
As soon as you’ve gained access to the Lake of Nine after meeting the Witch, you’ll want to head for the land to the right of where the bridge away from the central area joins with the shore. Dock your boat, and you’ll need to be quick to hit all three pots before the timer expires.
- Hit the yellow board to lower the spikes into the ground.
- Hit the pot on top of the small waterfall.
- Throw your axe at the pot just to the right of the yellow board.
- Hit the yellow board again to make the spikes retreat.
- Hit the final pot near where you docked your boat.
Forgotten Caverns Idunn Apple
This complex Nornir chest can only be unlocked by hitting the three hanging pots within a certain time, except the pots happen to be attached to a large spinning pole.
- Hit the outer, highest pot first.
- Now that the pole is spinning faster, aim for the pot in the middle.
- The pole is now up to full speed, and you’ll need to aim for the bottom-most pot to unlock the chest.
Alfheim Idunn Apple
This Nornir chest can be found in the beginning area of the Ringed Temple Trench, and is unlocked by lowering a bridge spanning the gap in the trench.
- Lower the bridge part way down, and freeze the disc with the Leviathan Axe.
- Jump down to the bridge, and smash the two seal jars at either end with your fists.
- Recall the axe, and lower the bridge all the way down, again freezing it in place.
- Jump down to the bridge, and turn around, hopping up onto the ledge.
- Recall the axe, and you’ll find yourself raised up next to the final seal jar.
Mountain Idunn Apple
Right after Atreus gains shock arrows after defeating Hraezlyr the dragon, you’ll come across several frost draugr praying in front of the Nornir chest.
- Using the sap deposit nearby, use Atreus’ arrows and the sap to destroy the sap above you, and on the bridge.
- Grabbing another sap orb, head out of the room, and take down the large red sap wall.
- Enter the new area and turn to the right to find and smash the first seal jar.
- Head back and across the bridge, but pause halfway and look to your right to see the second seal jar.
- Raise the bridge up so it forms a ramp to the higher lever, and freeze the disc to hold it in place.
- Go up the partially raised bridge, and smash the final seal jar.
Tyr’s Vault Idunn Apple
This Idunn Apple Nornir chest can be found after you’ve made it through the death traps with the spike blocks that move horizontally.
- The first seal jar is found on top of the falling and rising spike blocks, if you’re facing them from the room with the wheel.
- Turn around, and you can find the second sal jar in the wall of the room with the wheel.
- Head through the spike blocks that move horizontally, and turn around to see the final seal jar in the block furthest away from you.
Light Elf Outpost Idunn Apple
The final Nornir chest containing the Idunn Apple can be found on Light Elf Outpost, on the Lake of Nine just north of Tyr’s Tower.
- Turn around from the chest, hop over the gap, and head round the corner to see the Idunn Apple on the tower in front of you.
- Head back over the gap, under the raised gate, over the light bridge, and down the slope on your right, to find the second seal jar under the light bridge.
- Head back up the slope, turn right, head over the light bridge and hop over a gap, and you can find the final seal jar ahead of the second chain, sticking out from the side of the cliff.
That concludes our complete God of War guide for all the various Idunn Apples you can find around the map, but head over to our Niflheim Cipher Piece guide for if you want to access a brand new realm, or our Horn of Blood Mead locations to raise Kratos’ Rage meter.
For more God of War content, Mike's review of the game can be found waiting here. Or take a look to see how the game's World Serpent had his voice made over here.