One of the different realms you can access in God of War is Muspelheim, a sealed-off realm that requires you to find four different Ciphers to unlock. Below we'll reveal all the Muspelheim Cipher locations and how you can use them to get to Muspelheim itself.
On this page
- Muspelheim Cipher Locations in God of War
- First Muspelheim Cipher Piece Location (The Mountain)
- Second Muspelheim Cipher Piece Location (Alfheim)
- Third Muspelheim Cipher Piece Location (The Summit)
- Fourth Muspelheim Cipher Piece Location (Witch's Cave)
- How to Unlock the Muspelheim Realm
Muspelheim Cipher Locations in God of War
There are four Muspelheim Cipher pieces in God of War, each one at a different location. We've laid out how to find all the Ciphers below, as well as how they can be used to unlock Muspelheim itself.
First Muspelheim Cipher Piece Location (the Mountain)
The very first Muspelheim Cipher piece can be found just after you encounter the Wyrm enemies for the very first time, on your journey up to the base of the Mountain. Follow these steps:
- Once you’re through the doors on the opposite end of the bridge from Tyr’s Temple, turn right and use your Leviathan Axe to freeze the brazier spewing toxic gas ahead of you.
- After this, you’ll jump off a ledge, and be attacked by another Wyrm.
- Defeat it, freeze the brazier ahead of you, and open the chest in the area to recover the first Muspelheim Cipher Piece.
Second Muspelheim Cipher Piece Location (Alfheim)
The second Muspelheim Cipher Piece in God of War can be located once Kratos and Atreus have travelled to Alfheim as part of the main story. All you have to do to uncover this elusive item is to fight through the very first dark elves you encounter. After that, do the following:
- After the combat skirmish, you’ll need to throw the Leviathan Axe to smash through two tendons blocking your path.
- Then immediately turn right, where you can find a rather elite looking chest. Use Atreus’ knife to open up the chest, and you can obtain the second Muspelheim Cipher Piece.
Third Muspelheim Cipher Piece Location (the Summit)
The next Muspelheim Cipher Piece can be found in the chest just off the Summit area, as soon as you’ve begun the ‘New Destination’ quest in God of War. Simply head off the Summit on the only path available to you, and you can find a chest on the left of the path, which Atreus can once again unlock with his dagger. You can now claim the third Muspelheim Cipher Piece, bringing you one step closer to unlocking the realm of Muspelheim.
Fourth Muspelheim Cipher Piece Location (Witch's Cave)
For the fourth and final Muspelheim Cipher Piece, you need to head past the statue of Thor on the Lake of Nine, and into the secret entrance to the Witch’s Cave, all this taking place just after you’ve descended down from The Summit with Mimir. Follow these steps to complete the Cipher:
- Once you’ve used the elevator and defeated the two Revenants that spawn in the cave, turn right and head into a new area.
- Then turn right again, coming to an area on top of a small waterfall with a chest.
- Open the chest to retrieve the final Muspelheim Cipher Piece.
How to Unlock the Muspelheim Realm
After collecting all four pieces, return to the Bifrost at Tyr's Temple to unlock Muspelheim, a fiery realm with a series of tiered challenges that allow players to test their combat ability. There's also one of the game's Valkyrie mini-bosses, which we've got advice on how to beat here. Alternatively, you can also unlock the realm of Niflheim, another optional area, with our guide here.
God of War is something we know about here at USgamer, and we've got content from all across the Nine Realms. You can find Mike's review of the game itself here, or see Kat dissect her thoughts on the game's ending here.