One of the hardest boss fights in God of War, the Valkyrie Queen Sigrun is the final Valkyrie you'll encounter, and likely the last boss in the game you'll fight. In this guide we'll show you how to beat Valkyrie Queen Sigrun, where to find her and the rewards you'll get for doing so.
On this page:
- How to Beat Valkyrie Queen Sigrun in God of War
- How to Find Valkyrie Queen Sigrun and the Council of Valkyries
- Valkyrie Queen Sigrun Boss Fight Tips and Strategy
- Sigrun Valkyrie Queen Rewards
How to Beat Valkyrie Queen Sigrun in God of War
To beat the Valkyrie Queen Sigrun boss fight in God of War you'll need to find her first, then ensure you have the right tactics, equipment and strategy to beat the incredibly hard fight that follows. First of all, we'll cover how to get to Sigrun.
How to Find Valkyrie Queen Sigrun and the Council of Valkyries
To find Valkyrie Queen Sigrun you’ll first need to defeat the eight other Valkyrie bosses scattered throughout the game, as each of them has a helmet that you'll need to summon Sigrun herself. For a full walkthrough of the location of every Valkyrie in the game, head over to our God of War Valkyrie guide. This'll show you how to find and defeat them all, allowing you to tackle Sigrun herself.
Once you've defeated all the other eight Valkyrie, you need to find the Council of Valkyries, a specific area in Midgard close to the Lake of Nine. To get to this area, do the following:
- You need to dock your boat on the left side of the entrance to the Mason’s Channel area (marked by Kratos' location on the map above), next to the Lake.
- Scale your way up the cliffs, using Atreus’ shock arrows to get rid of any pesky sap orbs that happen to be blocking your path.
- This'll take you to a large, open area ringed by crumbling stone thrones - the Council of Valkyries.
Once you’ve arrived at the circle of seats at the Council of Valkyries, you’ll need to have Kratos place all eight heads of the Valkyries in their respective seats. After you’ve done this, you’ll see a black orb in the middle of the arena. Make sure you prepare for a long, difficult boss fight, because your battle with Sigrun will begin immediately when you interact with the orb.
Valkyrie Queen Sigrun Boss Fight Tips and Strategy
Sigrun is one of the most difficult encounters in God of War, perhaps more than any other. She's an incredibly quick and versatile opponent who can do huge amounts of damage to the unprepared, backed up by a massive health bar. While there's no guaranteed cheese method, we've outlined a strong strategy and tips to remember when going into combat below:
- Parrying is essential for this boss, allowing you to rebound Sigrun when she attempts an attack. However, she also has a lot of moves that are unblockable, so you'll need to know how to roll safely as well.
- Runic builds (those that prioritize your rune attacks on the Blades of Chaos and Leviathan Axe) are a powerful strategy here, as you'll often be on the defensive for long stretches while they recharge. Then use whatever moments you have to unleash your most powerful attacks for huge damage. The Shattered Gauntlet of Ages can do a lot for this strategy when upgraded fully.
- You also need to know when to swap between the Leviathan Axe and Blades of Chaos. The Axe is a powerful follow-up to a parry, but Sigrun is so deadly at close range that it's often better to use the Blades for your own safety.
- Sigrun has one particularly tough ranged attack which can easily catch Kratos out if you’re not careful. When she's far away from Kratos, she’ll often send a load of ice projectiles at you, which you can actually easily block by simply raising your shield and absorbing the attacks head on.
- If she uses her wings to protect herself as a huge shield, double-tap L1 to Block Break, smashing through her defenses and stunning her temporarily for a powerful follow-up.
- Sigrun's worst move is a sudden drop from the sky where she attempts to stamp down on Kratos. It can't be blocked and requires you to roll out of the way at the VERY last second. Mash O if she grabs you to escape (though you'll always take some damage), and watch out - if she misses, she may follow up with two more attempts.
- Keep Atreus firing on her. His attacks don't do much damage overall, but it may make the difference and can also be used to interrupt certain airborne attacks, giving you the chance to keep doing proper damage.
- Have a resurrection stone ready, of course.
Sigrun Valkyrie Queen Rewards
For defeating Sigrun you’ll be rewarded with the epic Sigrun’s Helmet, over 5,000 XP, an Epic Enchantment, some Perfect Svartalfheim Steel, an Epic Axe Pommel, and the ‘Chooser of the Slain’ trophy for your efforts.
God of War is something we love, and we've got endless content for those of you who love it too. See how the stars of the game remember one of its most emotional moments here, or check out what other games we think need the same treatment here.