The first big fight in God of War, the Stranger is a mysterious foe who shows up to attack Kratos without any explanation. In this guide we'll show you how to beat the Stranger boss fight, and how to use the new abilities you'll unlock along the way.
On this page:
How to Beat the Stranger Boss Fight in God of War
To beat the Stranger in God of War, you'll need to play defensively and learn how to watch his attack patterns. If you need a reminder on the basics of combat, just check here. Otherwise, read our advice below on how to beat the Stranger specifically.
- Keep your shield up (it's the key to winning this fight) and lock onto the Stranger with R3.
- His icy ground attack is telegraphed by the Stranger raising both fists into the air.
- The boss can chain three quick attacks together, but you can block them all with your shield.
- Remember that if you can block just before an attack hits you, Kratos will parry the blow, rebounding him and giving you a chance to retaliate.
- When the Stranger darts quickly around the battlefield, he's about to hit you with a powerful punch. Be ready to block then.
- Don't throw your axe much, it's better to have it ready for a more powerful melee attack or counterattack.
How to Use Spartan Rage
One of the abilities you'll unlock as part of this boss fight is Spartan Rage, a temporary power-up that makes Kratos invincible and much faster while doing massively increased melee damage. It lasts longer during this fight, but can be used in different fights. You build up your Spartan Rage meter by damaging enemies, and can trigger it, once full, by pressing L3 and R3 simultaneously. You can also unlock new abilities for it with experience, and increase its duration by finding special collectibles listed here.
God of War is a game we know very well here at USG. See how the stars of the game remember one of its most emotional moments here, or check out what other games we think need the same treatment here.