We might be less than a year out from Far Cry 5 releasing in 2018, but now Far Cry New Dawn is less than a day from launching worldwide. In this guide to everything you need to know about Ubisoft's sequel, we'll be going over the Far Cry New Dawn release date, all the Far Cry New Dawn gameplay we've experienced so far, as well as a Far Cry New Dawn review roundup.
Far Cry New Dawn Review Roundup
Far Cry New Dawn is almost here, and reviews have now been published by outlets around the globe. Just below, we've roundup up a selection of the reviews for Ubisoft's new game, including one by our very own Mike Williams.
- USgamer: 4/5 - "If you played and loved Far Cry 5, pick up New Dawn. If you didn't, know that it's still fun, but you'll lose some of the context."
- Eurogamer: Recommended - "Far Cry 5 was my least favourite of series thus far; New Dawn, conversely - and perhaps bizarrely - just might have stolen the top spot."
- Rock Paper Shotgun - "The setting is too tame, and the fighting much too familiar to soar – but if another dollop of Far Cry sounds appetising, tuck right in."
- VG247 - "With a core campaign you can polish off in co-op, the latest Far Cry is doing its best to stay relevant in a market clogged by heavy shooters like Anthem and The Division."
- GamesRadar: 4/5 - "Far Cry New Dawn might be a spinoff game, but it’s sure to have a lasting impact on what we think of when Far Cry comes to mind."
Far Cry New Dawn Release Date
Far Cry New Dawn was revealed back at The Game Awards 2018 in LA in December, and the final game will be releasing worldwide on February 15, 2019. As with Far Cry 5, the sequel will be releasing on PC, PS4 and Xbox One, but unlike the previous game, New Dawn will be retailing for a lower price point of $39.99 on all systems.
Firstly, what is Far Cry New Dawn? The game takes place 17 years after the events of Far Cry 5, which released back in Spring 2018. At the end of the game, a nuclear bomb was detonated, and the game brought to a swift end. Far Cry New Dawn picks up from this ending, as the entire map has been turned into a post apocalyptic landscape.
The game doesn’t feature The Father as the antagonist, and instead shifts the focus to two sisters as the villains. It’s somewhat unclear what happened to the protagonist of Far Cry 5, but you’ll be playing as a brand new character in Far Cry New Dawn.
Far Cry New Dawn Impressions
Back before Far Cry New Dawn was even shown off to the world at The Game Awards, we got to go hands-on with a demo of the game. This actually marks the first direct sequel in the history of the Far Cry series, as well as the first game that showcases a main female antagonist.
It’s clear from our time spent with the game so far that although it’s a post-apocalyptic game, Far Cry New Dawn hasn’t sacrificed its color palette. There are mutated creatures like horses and lions wandering the wilderness, and it’s a big step in a new direction for Ubisoft’s franchise.
For our full thoughts after spending hours with a preview build of the game, you can head over to our Far Cry New Dawn preview.
For now, this is a complete compilation of all the information we have on Ubisoft’s Far Cry New Dawn. Should there be any future announcements about the game, we’ll be sure to update this guide with all the latest information straight away.