Releasing two years after the 'rebooted' Star Wars Battlefront was launched on PS4, Xbox One and PC, Star Wars Battlefront 2 looks set to build on what worked well in the original game, as well as adding a brand new single-player campaign.
This page will act as a hub of knowledge for Battlefront 2, being constantly updated to bring you the latest announcements and leaks for the game as soon as they happen. This will include info on the Star Wars Battlefront 2 release date, Battlefront 2 Hero Characters, and any hints from EA/Dice on a return of Star Wars Battlefront's Conquest Mode.
Before we delve into everything you need to know about Star Wars Battlefront 2, check out all our individual guides for the game, covering different aspects including modes like Galactic Assault and Starfighter Assault, to all the possible items you can find in Loot Crates:
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 Galactic Assault Guide
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 Starfighter Assault Guide
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 Strike Guide
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 Loot Crates Guide
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 Heroes and Villains Guide
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 Hidden Item Locations Guide
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 How to Earn Credits Quickly Guide
These might be all our Star Wars Battlefront 2 guides for now, but we'll be adding to the list over the coming few days, once reviews go live for the game, the when it goes into pre-release.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Review Roundup
Now that Star Wars Battlefront 2 is merely a few days away from launching worldwide, reviews for the game have been released online, and we've rounded up a selection of the critical offering for you just below:
- USgamer: 3.5/5 - "Starfighter Assault is a delight. Galactic Assault's maps have both the scale and focus that the original lacked. And my god, this game is gorgeous. The characters, vehicles, and environments all look incredible."
- Eurogamer - "Star Wars Battlefront 2, for all its faults, remains a game that can get to the kernel of what makes the series so beloved. It's just a shame that, for now, it's also inherited some of its uglier excesses too."
- Gamespot: 6/10 - "While its main narrative feels unresolved, and the general loop of the multiplayer carries a number of issues, Battlefront II still manages to evoke that same sense of joy and excitement found in the core of what the series is all about."
- Gamesradar: 4/5 - "Multiplayer is exceptionally polished and entertaining, and once you learn to accept the frustrating progression system, it’ll keep you visiting the galaxy far, far away for months."
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Single Player Hands-On Impressions
Speaking of the single player campaign featured in Star Wars Battlefront 2, we recently got to go hands-on with the story mode at a special preview event, and we came away somewhat surprised by the mode.
You can read the full impressions over on our Star Wars Battlefront 2 single player hands-on piece, in which our main takeaway is that the single player campaign might just be the best thing about the game so far.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Season 1 Events Revealed
Just below, you can see a complete list of all the events, and DLC updates that will be coming to Star Wars Battlefront 2 post-launch. Starting on December 13, Finn will be a playable character for the Resistance, while Captain Phasma will be playable for the First Order, both of whom can be purchased via in-game credits.
Weekly faction challenges for players to undertake will be released throughout the rest of the month, and the faction that completed the most challenges will recieve special loot crates, which will contain upgrades for both Finn and Captain Phasma. In addition to this, a free DLC single player expansion will be released, highlighting Iden Versio's rise to power within the First Order.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Pre-Order Bonuses
Anyone who pre-orders any edition of the game will get instant access to The Last Jedi version of the Millennium Falcon, with an updated appearance and sounds, as well as Yoda's Epic Lightsaber Mastery Star Card.
As a final pre-order bonus for all edition of Star Wars Battlefront 2, players will be granted instant access to six Star Cards, for both Heroes and vehicles. These include Power Reach and Solid Freeze for Kylo Ren, Far Sight and Deep Mind for Rey, and Enhanced Auxiliary Power and First Order Ship Upgrade for vehicles.
- Pre-order Star Wars Battlefront 2 Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition on PS4
- Pre-order Star Wars Battlefront 2 Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition on Xbox One
- Pre-order Star Wars Battlefront 2 Standard Edition on PS4
- Pre-order Star Wars Battlefront 2 Standard Edition on Xbox One
Star Wars Battlefront 2 PC System Requirements
The following PC system specs are what you need to run the Star Wars Battlefront 2 beta and full game.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 PC Minimum requirements
- OS: 64-bit Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
- Processor (AMD): AMD FX-6350
- Processor (Intel): Intel Core i5 6600K
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB
- Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
- DirectX: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent
- Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
- Hard-drive space: 25GB
Star Wars Battlefront 2 PC Recommended specs
- OS: 64-bit Windows 10 or later
- Processor (AMD): AMD FX 8350 Wraith
- Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 6700 or equivalent
- Memory: 16GB RAM
- Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB
- Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
- DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent
- Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
- Hard-drive space: 25GB
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Essential Information:
- Release Date: November 17, 2017
- Price: $60
- Platforms: PC, PS4, Xbox One
- Developer: DICE
- Publisher: EA
- Genre: Shooter (Campaign and Multiplayer)
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Release Date
The Star Wars Battlefront 2 release date is November 17, 2017. Star Wars Battlefront 2 will be releasing on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. This release date is just less than a month before Star Wars: The Last Jedi releases worldwide in cinemas on December 15.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Collector’s Edition
There are two editions of Star Wars Battlefront 2, one standard edition and the Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition, the latter of which will retail for $80. The Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition will allow access to the game three days early on November 14, and will also provide unlockable weapons and equipment for the four main classes in the game, these being Officer, Assault, Heavy and Specialist.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition Contents:
- Get access to Battlefront 2 from November 14
Elite Officer Upgrade Pack:
- Blurrg-1120 + enhanced grip modification
- Battle Command epic ability
Heavy Metal Upgrade Pack:
- FWMB-10 "Megablaster" + barrel vent modification
- Personal Shield epic ability
Armored Assault Upgrade Pack:
- CR-2 + trigger modification
- Grenade epic ability
Master Specialist Upgrade Pack:
- A280-CFE + scope modification
- Laser Trip Mine epic ability
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Heroes - Luke, Leia, Yoda, Rey and More
While EA is yet to confirm the line-up of heroes included in Star Wars Battlefront 2, a list has been compiled thanks to a reddit user who combed through files that make up the Battlefront 2 alpha.
Full List of Battlefront 2 Characters Found:
- Boba Fett
- Han Solo
- Darth Vader
- Kylo Ren
Finn, not included in the list above, has already been confirmed by EA, and is set to arrive alongside Phasma as free DLC. Other characters have also been confirmed by EA and don’t appear in the list, plus there are numerous high-profile names missing that we’d assume would be included. Don’t expect this list to be final.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Space Battles
Having been mum about the subject of space battles around the reveal of Star Wars Battlefront 2, EA recently confirmed the feature will be in the game when it launches, as the trailer below showcased many locations that the Empire, Rebels, Republic, and Droid forces can all fight in.
The official PlayStation YouTube channel posted gameplay of the Starfighter Assault mode, which you can see for yourself just below. Just below the video itself, we've highlighted some talking points from the gameplay.
- Space battles are confirmed to span all eras of Star Wars, including the prequel, sequel, and original trilogies.
- The mode features two teams of 12 players, on top of AI pilots, meaning you should always have something to shoot at.
- The Rebel forces in the opening section of Starfighter Assault are charged with destroying the Imperial defences.
- There will be classes in space battles, including assault, interceptor, and bomber classes.
- You can also use star cards to customise your specific ship.
- In the second stage of Starfighter Assault, the Rebels have to take down the shield generators.
- In the third stage, the Rebels have to take down the Power Couplings, allowing them to deal as much damage as possible to the Star Destroyer.
The trailer shows off locations like the Death Star Ruins above Endor, the Fondor Imperial Shipyard, and Kamino, among others. We could also see Yoda and Darth Maul piloting vehicles, and as for the vehicles themselves, there was A-Wings, Y-Wings, X-Wings, Tie Interceptors, Tie Bombers, Jedi Starfighters, and more.
In late September, EA released another trailer for Star Wars Battlefront 2, this time narrated by none other than John Boyega, aka. Finn from The Force Awakens. You can watch the trailer for yourself just below, and as usual, we've highlighted all the key talking points below that.
- Split screen makes a triumphant return in Star Wars Battlefront 2, having been a nice feature in the game from 2015.
- According to Boyega, Star Wars Battlefront 2 has nearly triple the number of heroes and locations compared to the 2015 game.
- The following maps are playable in Star Wars Battlefront 2: Kamino, Yavin IV, Fondor, Starkiller Base, Tattooine, Kshyyyk, Ryloth, Jakku, Hoth, and Endor.
- However, the following locations are only playable in the single player mode of Star Wars Battlefront 2: Sullust, Pillio, Vardos, and Bespin.
- Star Cards are returning, and you can also customise every weapon with attachments.
- Earning Battle Points will allow you to call in powerful reinforcements like Flame Troopers or Wookies, as well as tanks and other vehicles.
- You can find Star Cards in crates, but you can also craft them using parts.
- Star Cards are also ranked in tiers, and the rarer the Star Card, the more powerful it is in the heat of battle.
- At around roughly the 3:30 mark, you can get a look at the impressive story mode of Star Wars Battlefront 2 in action.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Loot Crates Revealed
As you can see in the video just below, Loot Crates have been revealed for Star Wars Battlefront 2, a feature that was entirely absent in the original. These Loot Crates can be purchased with in-game Credits, but you also unlock one every day just by logging in.
The items you can unlock within the Loot Crates can boost the attributes of your character in-game through Star Cards, but can also give you crafting materials and Credits. Star Cards themselves are changed slightly for Star Wars Battlefront 2, as they come in five tiers of rarity, from common to Legendary.
How to Play Star Wars Battlefront 2 Early
If you're a subscriber to either EA Access or Origin Access then there's good news, because you'll be able to play the game starting on November 9 through either of these services. Alternatively, anyone who pre-orders Star Wars Battlefront 2: Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition will be able to start playing on November 14.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Gameplay Details
Janina Gavankar, who plays the lead character of Iden Versio in Star Wars Battlefront 2's campaign, took to the EA stage at E3 2017 to show off the game in full for the first time. Gavankar revealed that the sequel contains 3 times more content than the original, featuring four classes for online gameplay, as well as Battle Points that can be spent within matches to unlock Heroes like Rey and Darth Maul.
Speaking of those two Heroes, we saw them in action in a huge, three stage battle in the Palace of Thede, as the Droid army assaulted the Clone Troopers stationed there. The Droids had to escort tanks to the Palace doors in the first stage, and were then tasked with overriding the security of the Palace in the second stage, and this all culminated in a final fight for control of the building in the third and final stage.
The Four Character Classes in Star Wars Battlefront 2:
- Heavy - can use a combat shield to push forward
- Assault - can utilise Thermal Grenades
- Sniper - can set up tripmines
- Officer - can buff the health of those around them
John Boyega revealed that Finn and Captain Phasma would be part of the 'first season' of DLC, which is free for everyone, and offers themed seasons of content. This first season is themed around The Last Jedi, with subsequent seasons to be revealed in the future.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Digital Foundry 4K PC Gameplay Analysis
Hardware experts Digital Foundry went hands-on with Star Wars Battlefront 2 at the EA Play event, and came away impressed with the game running on max settings on a PC, believing it to be one of the best looking games using the Frostbite Engine.
Two things that Digital Foundry are particularly impressed with are the lighting effects and textures on individuals from the Droid army. The lighting in the reflective marble walls of the Palace of Thede looked incredible, while the metallic designs on the Droid army were particularly notable.
Reveal Trailer for the Star Wars Battlefront 2 Single-player Campaign
EA first revealed the trailer for Star Wars Battlefront 2 during a presentation at Star Wars Celebration Week in Orlando, Florida. The trailer depicts a group of elite Imperial fighters gathering together after the destruction of the second Death Star at the end of Return of the Jedi, vowing to make a stand against the Rebels.
Aside from this, the trailer also showed skirmishes on various planets and settings through the multiplayer mode for Star Wars Battlefront 2, with characters like Yoda and Darth Maul making brief appearances, meaning the game will feature heroes from across the Star Wars universe.
As previously mentioned, the player will take on the role of Iden Versio within the single-player campaign, who is portrayed through motion capture by Janina Gavankar from True Blood and Sleepy Hollow.
Versio will lead "Inferno Squad" in the campaign of Star Wars Battlefront 2, fighting to avenge the Emperor. Inferno Squad is no small unit, being comprised of Officers, Shock Troopers and TIE Fighter pilots among others, this making sense when considering the fact that Inferno Squad will be fighting on various surfaces throughout the galaxy.
At the D23 Expo in California, Disney presented a behind the scenes look at the story of Star Wars Battlefront 2, as told by a group producers behind the game, including lead actor Janina Gavankar.
Where Battlefront 2 Takes Place in the Star Wars Universe
Star Wars Battlefront 2 will take place directly in the aftermath of the destruction of the second Death Star, as seen in the reveal trailer first released for the game at Star Wars Celebration Week. This means that while the events of the game won't stretch out to those of The Force Awakens, they will deal with the aftermath of Return of the Jedi.
EA has also stated that Star Wars Battlefront 2 will introduce the planet of Vardos into the Star Wars canon, an Imperial utopia in which those who are lucky enough can live in relative luxury. It goes without saying that the citizens of Vardos view the Empire as heroes, and the Rebel Alliance as nothing more than traitors.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Multiplayer - Will Galactic Conquest Return?
The debut trailer for the game offered brief glimpses into the multiplayer battles that would take place within Star Wars Battlefront 2, and while the single-player campaign for the game will take place exclusively in one era in the Star Wars universe, the multiplayer will include characters from all different eras.
We saw Darth Maul, Yoda, Rey and Kylo Ren in the trailer for Star Wars Battlefront 2, and while only the latter two characters ever encountered one another in the Star Wars films, all of these characters will come face to face in the multiplayer mode. This means that we could potentially have a massive roster of characters available in Star Wars Battlefront 2, featuring the likes of Mace Windu from the prequel trilogy, Obi-Wan from the original films, and Poe Dameron from the most recent films.
The big question on the lips of old-school PS2-era Star Wars Battlefront fans is whether or not Battlefront 2 will include the much-loved Conquest Mode. Current signs point to no Conquest Mode in Star Wars Battlefront 2, with EA and DICE keen not to blur the lines between Battlefield and its Star Wars shooter. Players of Star Wars Battlefront 2 will seemingly have to make do with an improved Supremacy mode.
All Vehicles in Star Wars Battlefront 2
As Star Wars Battlefront 2 takes place across the original, prequel, and sequel trilogy, we can expect to see a variety of vehicles from all different forces throughout the game.
For example, we'll be playing in the AAT tank that belongs to the Droid Army, the First Order Snowspeeder that was meant to make an appearance in The Force Awakens, as well as Luke Skywalker's very own Landspeeder, seen in the reveal trailer for the game.
Aside from these, the Low Altitude Transport Carrier of the Clone Army has also been spotted in concept art. The C979 Landing Craft, the Imperial Shuttle, and the Resistance Transport that Leia uses have all been seen in concept art as well, leading to speculation that they could also be useable in Star Wars Battlefront 2.
Heroes in Multiplayer in Star Wars Battlefront 2 Work Differently
EA was somewhat coy when it came to detailing the impact of heroes within the multiplayer of Star Wars Battlefront 2. In the 2015 version of the game heroes could be unlocked via tokens that would spawn around the multiplayer maps, meaning anyone could theoretically play as a hero at any given time a token spawned.
However EA stated that this time heroes would work differently, revealing that they would be governed by an "in-game resource". What this means is anyone's guess, but it could potentially mean that heroes may work like an 'Ultimate Ability' in Overwatch, instead of merely appearing in random places around the battlefield.
Both Troopers and Heroes Can Level Up
During the panel for Star Wars Battlefront 2 that took place at Star Wars Celebration Week, EA revealed that you would be able to gradually unlock new abilities, for both standard Trooper and Hero characters.
The developer went on to state that a significantly levelled-up Trooper could potentially pose a threat to a Hero, and that vehicles like the Millennium Falcon and Slave I would also feature as hero characters, just like they did in the 2015 version of Star Wars Battlefront.
Make sure to bookmark this page, as we'll be adding any additional information on Star Wars Battlefront 2 as soon as it becomes available.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Beta
Unfortunately, the Star Wars Battlefront 2 beta has now drawn to a close, but we're now just weeks away from finally getting our hands on the final product. If you want to check out all the modes and maps that were playable in the Star Wars Battlefront 2 beta, check out the info just below.
Modes in the Star Wars Battlefront 2 Beta
The Star Wars Battlefront 2 beta included four modes from the full game, plus challenges for each day.
- Galactic Assault: 20v20 battle on Naboo's capital, Theed.
- Starfighter Assault: Space battling over Fondor.
- Strike: 8v8 battle in Maz Kanata's castle on Takodana.
- Arcade: Two versus-AI Arcade missions.
While your progress in the Star Wars Battlefront 2 Beta won't carry over to the full game, anyone who takes part in the Star Wars Battlefront 2 beta will unlock a Founder's Crate containing an exclusive emote for Darth Maul.
This article may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and buy the product we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.