How to Retrieve Your Hat in Red Dead Redemption 2 - How to Find Your Lost Hat

Here's our complete guide to Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption 2, including a full beginner's guide, Red Dead 2 cheats, tips, and much more.

Guide by Hirun Cryer, .

What's a cowboy without a hat? The answer is not much of a cowboy at all, and there are going to be plenty of instances in Red Dead Redemption where Arthur Morgan's hat goes missing. In this guide to Rockstar's latest game, we'll be detailing how to find your hat in Red Dead Redemption 2, so you can easily track down your hat when it gets knocked off your head.

If you instead need help with any other matters to do with Rockstar’s wild west prequel, you’ll want to check out our full Red Dead Redemption 2 guides hub. It’s on this main page that you can find our complete beginner’s guide to the game, as well as a full index of all our in depth guides, covering multiple different areas of the big game.

How to Get Your Hat Back in Red Dead Redemption 2

You can’t exactly shoot the limbs from the bodies of your enemies, but you can shoot their hats off in Red Dead Redemption 2, with a well placed shot. As it turns out, every hit Arthur Morgan sustains, whether from a gun or a fist, carries a risk of knocking the hat from his head, leaving it lying on the ground nearby.

After the fight is done and dusted, you need to manually go over to your hat, to retrieve it. When you’re near your hat on the ground, you’ll get a button prompt on the left shoulder button to pick back up your hat, and put it back on your head.

But, let’s say you forget to go back for your hat (as we have many times). It turns out your hat disappears if you forget to go back and pick it up off the ground, and you can find it back at your camp, with Dutch, Marston, and everyone else. All you need to do is use the wardrobe in your tent at the camp, and equip the hat that you were previously wearing. Simple.

Alternatively, you can always keep three total hats in the saddlebags of your horse in Red Dead Redemption 2. While on your horse, you can hold down the left bumper to bring up the item wheel, and tab over to 'Horse.' Here, you can find your three hats in the bottom right corner of the wheel, and to change which three hats are kept in the saddlebags, you simply need to head to the wardrobe in your camp as we detailed above, and open up the 'Hats' menu, selecting which three you want to equip to your horse.

Now that we’re all done with this particular guide to Rockstar’s Red Dead Redemption 2, you can check out some of our other guides on the huge game. You can find our guide on how to shave in Red Dead Redemption 2 if you’re a bit sick of the beard, or our full Red Dead Redemption 2 Deadeye guide for more.

Deleted 4 weeks ago by crunchb3rry
    I saw the bounties quest option before I got into the bar fight with javier but I didn't mess with it at the time. Now I can't seem to get it to happen at all. I've waited in town, done other things, slept. I'm not sure what to do exactly. Any suggestions?

Edit: I didn't realize I was still on the debt collection mission for Strauss and it locked a few things including the bounty starting quest. I had just gotten distracted by the open world and didn't put those 2 things together till way later than I want to admit.Edited 3 weeks ago by Karnej
    I cannot ask the ticket man in Rhodes about Midnight. Any suggestions?
    How do you get the shotgun from the devil in the cave? He just stands there and tell your to leave then does nothing. I shot him and got his body down with tnt and he didn't have anything on him. SO how do you get the shotgun? Thanks.
    Deleted 3 weeks ago by nickhunt00
  • Avatar for shanezwicker25 #6 shanezwicker25 7 days ago
    It should be noted that if you access a hat from your house while wearing another hat that isn't stored on your horse via the wardrobe, the hat on your head vanishes and is gone. I went through the trouble of getting the hat off the head of the jailhouse guard then drowning myself so I could lose the guards and keep the hat. But then I looked up this guide so I could keep the hat and lost it via the horse thing... Not impressed..
    I bought a Volcanic revolver, the bought a second, but can’t seem to weild it / find it. Any thoughts?

SOLVED: Had to leave Rhodes to arm itEdited 4 days ago by Montmont