Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 might not have a single player mode for the first time, but the Zombies mode more than makes up for it, featuring three huge maps at launch, with more to follow. In this Black Ops 4 Zombies guide, we'll be detailing everything you need to know heading into the mode, including a full list of the various characters you can play as across all three maps, as well as details of future DLC maps, arriving through the Black Ops Pass.
For everything else on the game, head over to our CoD Black Ops 4 guides hub. You'll find details on the Black Ops 4 Blackout Battle Royale Mode, changes to multiplayer perks, and everything else we know about the game so far.
Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Zombies Guide
Before we detail all the Zombies tips and tricks further down, you can find a list of our detailed guides on the mode just below. We've got Zombies guides on how to turn on the power on different maps, how to unlock the Pack-a-Punch upgrade machine, and much more.
- Black Ops 4 Zombies Perks Guide
- Black Ops 4 Zombies Elixirs Guide
- Black Ops 4 Best Zombies Weapons Guide
- Black Ops 4 Zombies Classified Map Guide
- Black Ops 4 Zombies IX Map Guide
- How to Defeat the Black Ops 4 Zombies IX Champions
- Black Ops 4 IX Zombies Pack-a-Punch Guide
- Black Ops 4 IX Zombies Easter Eggs Guide
- Black Ops 4 Voyage of Despair Pack-a-Punch Guide
- Black Ops 4 Voyage of Despair Easter Eggs Guide
- Black Ops 4 Blood of the Dead Zombies Power Guide
- Black Ops 4 Blood of the Dead Zombie Shield Guide
- Black Ops 4 Blood of the Dead Pack-a-Punch Guide
Black Ops 4 Zombies Tips and Tricks
Check out the list of Zombies tips and tricks you need to know going into this year's iteration of the mode, just below. These tips are aimed at veterans and newcomers alike, and include changes that have been mode from the Zombies mode in last year's Call of Duty: WW2.
- There are three core maps included with Black Ops 4's Zombies mode: Voyage of Despair, Blood of the Dead, and IX.
- While IX isn't too big, Voyage of Despair and Blood of the Dead are absolutely massive, with well over four distinct areas in each map.
- The main currency of Zombies is points, which you gain for every hit you land on a zombie, which you can then take and spend on things like unlocking doors to new areas, weapons, upgrades, Perks, and more.
- In Zombies, you want to priorise fast firing weapons over all else. Weapons like the Spitfire, KN S7, and VAPR are deadly against Zombies.
- As with every shooter, aiming for the head does significantly more damage to Zombies than anywhere else on the body.
- Revive times have been increased for this year's Zombies mode, and it'll take you a fair few seconds to revive another player, so make sure to take a good look around you before committing to the revive.
- There's customizable classes for the first time in this year's Zombies, and for a full walkthrough of the new feature, check out our Black Ops 4 Zombies Perks guide.
- The team that sticks together, stays together, and always survives until the higher waves.
- If you want an idea of how much damage you can take (hint: it's not much), check out the tiny health meter next to your online ID in the bottom left corner of the screen.
Black Ops 4 Zombies Gameplay
We’ve already spent some time with Black Ops 4, back before the game released. Just below, you can check out a small slice of the Black Ops 4 Zombies mode in action.
Black Ops 4 Zombies Missions
In Call of Duty Black Ops 4, there are three separate Zombies campaigns available from the get-go. This is a welcome change from the last few iterations, which added further zombies levels and campaigns as paid DLC. This year's Zombies mode might just be the most out there entry yet, with a zombie romp aboard the Titanic, and a gladiator arena dominated by melee combat.
Just below, we'll be running through the set up for each Black Ops 4 Zombies map:
- IX - Set in an old arena, this map features four branching subsections, each featuring a boss character that can be summoned via a gong.
- Blood of the Dead - Quite possibly the largest map of the three, Blood of the Dead takes place in an abandoned prison, featuring a complex layout stretched through multiple cell blocks.
- Voyage of Despair - Set on the Titanic of all places, this map is more narrow than the previous two, keeping the action to corridors and small open areas on the ship.
Don't forget that there's also a forth Zombies map: Classified. This is a remake of 'The Five' map from the original Call of Duty: Black Ops, but it's only available through the Black Ops Pass. For a complete walkthrough of this DLC map, head over to our Black Ops 4 Zombies Classified guide.
Black Ops 4 Zombies Characters
Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Zombies mode features four main characters, which find themselves travelling across time and space to feature in three distinct campaigns. Just below, you can find a complete overview of all the playable characters in Black Ops 4’s Zombies mode.
Scarlett is shown as a safecracker, and dual-wields pistols in the Voyage of Despair trailer. In the IX trailer, she can be seen dual-wielding swords, so this seems to be her area of expertise. It's unclear as to how different each character will be from one another, but judging by what we've seen so far Scarlett will be more proficient with firearms than the others.
Next up is Diego, who seems to be a thief of sorts. He is shown using knives instead of guns when aboard the Titanic, and seems to favor close combat.
Bruno appears to be the brute of the bunch. He uses his fists in lieu of swords or guns, and is shown uppercutting several zombies. It's likely that he will be similar to Diego in that he will specialize in short-range combat
Finally, we have Shaw. He is definitely an explosives expert, using them to take down zombies and break objects in the environment. This will no doubt come in handy when fighting hordes of zombies, and it seems he has many different variations of bombs at his disposal.
Black Ops 4 Custom Zombies Matches
This year's Zombies mode adds custom modes into the mix. Players will be able to set up their own matches with curated rules and bonuses. There are 100 mutations available in-game, which alter everything from zombie speed to player health. Players can use these to tweak each game to their liking and share it online. This allows for custom leaderboards to form, with players able to play each-other's custom modes.
These new features allow for the addition of seasonal and themed updates, which are planned to come to the game periodically. Limited-run curated challenges called Callings will also be added regularly.
Black Ops 4 Zombies Single Player
In the Black Ops 4 Zombies mode, you can play entirely by yourself as always, but this time you can have AI bots filling in for absent teammates. This is a first for the Call of Duty series, as if you previously wanted to play the game by yourself, you’d be stranded on your own, and considering you can be killed by a zombie in just a few hits, this made things pretty difficult.
Can You Play Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Zombies Split Screen?
The answer to that question is yes, you can. When you're in a private lobby for Call of Duty Black Ops 4's Zombies mode, you can select the button just below your online ID to add another player via split screen. This doesn't mean you have to play with only two players as well, as you can add AI bots to your game after you've added in another player via split screen.
For info on Call of Duty Black Ops 4's Battle Royale Mode, you can head over to our Call of Duty Blackout Guides Hub . For more specific help with the game check out our Call of Duty Blackout Map Guide, Blackout best Weapons guide, how to unlock Blackout characters guide, and our look at the Best Blackout Perks.
If you're looking for more on Call of Duty Black Ops 4, you can head over to our Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Guides Hub . For more specific help check out our Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Specialists - All Specialist Abilities, Equipment and Weapons guide, our Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Zombies Guide, our look at Black Ops 4 Operator Mods, CoD BLOPS 4 Killstreaks, the Best Attachments, Best Perks in Black Ops 4, and Black Ops 4 Best Weapons. We've also got detailed guides to the IX Zombies Easter Eggs and the Voyage of Despair Easter Eggs.
This article may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and buy the product we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.