The 'Geology for Beginners' mission is the quest you'll have to kick off in Red Dead Redemption 2, if you want to track down every rock carving in the game. In our Red Dead Redemption 2 rock carvings guide, we'll be providing you with a full list of Red Dead Redemption 2 rock carving locations, for you to track down as easily as possible.
But if you instead need any additional details on Rockstar’s wild west prequel, you’ll want to head over to our Red Dead Redemption 2 guides hub. Here you can find our complete beginner’s guide to the game, list of essential tips and tricks, and much more.
Red Dead Redemption 2 Geology for Beginners Mission
To kick off the Geology for Beginners mission in Red Dead Redemption 2, you need to head to the map point just below, which is situated immediately northwest of Strawberry. Here you’ll find Francis Sinclair outside a small cabin, and it’s him that will task Arthur with tracking down all 10 rock carvings around the map.
Red Dead Redemption 2 Rock Carving Locations
Now that you’ve actually started the Geology for Beginners quest by paying a visit to Sinclair, you’ll need to track down every rock carving in Red Dead Redemption 2. You can see an example of what you’re looking for just below, a large carving into the side of a mountain or cliff which faintly resembles a pattern.
You can check out our complete list of all the rock carving locations in the game just below, where we’ve outlined exactly how to find each and every one.
- The first rock carving you can find in Red Dead Redemption 2 can be found directly north of Strawberry, and southeast from the pinnacle of Mount Shann.
- The second rock carving can be found on the shores of the Owanjila, directly west from Strawberry
- Next, head far north from Strawberry. You can find the rock carving in the side of Mount Hagen, near the pinnacle of the path.
- The fourth rock carving can be pretty difficult to find. You need to make it on top of the cliff that's on the other side of the river, south of Widow's Rock, until you're looking down at the river below, and then make your way down to the next level via a winding path.
- The next rock carving in Red Dead Redemption 2 is found just north of Widow's Rock. Head down to the actual river itself, and you can look up at the cliff to find the carving.
- Directly west of Bacchus Station, and northeast of Fort Wallace, you can find the next rock carving. For this one, you're going to have to start from the very top of the mountain, and look for a small rock path leading down to the side of the cliff face.
- For the next Red Dead Redemption 2 rock carving, head south of Moonstone Pond. On the side of a large rock, you can find a carving of a fish.
- The eighth rock carving can be located just a short distance from the Elysian Pool. It's carved underneath the overhang of a small cliff.
- For the ninth rock carving in Red Dead Redemption 2, head north from Annesburg. You can find the rock carving on the side of an exposed cliff face, just next to Deer Cottage.
- The final rock carving in Red Dead Redemption 2 is found just northwest of Flatneck Station. You can quickly find it by going to the top of the cliff, and hopping down a level to find the carving in the rock behind you.
What to do Once You've Found a Rock Carving in Red Dead Redemption 2
Once you’ve found any of the rock carvings just above in Red Dead Redemption 2, you can press Y/Triangle when facing them to take a note of their location. Next, head to any post office in the game, and send their location to Francis Sinclair through the post office clerk.
Red Dead Redemption 2 Rock Carving Rewards
When you’ve amassed a certain amount of rock carving locations in Red Dead Redemption 2, Sinclair will reward you with some items. The rewards for the rock carvings are listed out below:
- 1 Carving Mailed - $10, Kentucky bourbon.
- 5 Carvings Mailed - Rock statue.
- 10 Carvings Mailed - Francis Sinclair’s invitation letter.
You can now check out our other guides on Red Dead Redemption 2, here at USgamer. We’ve got pages on all the Red Dead Redemption 2 gang hideout locations guide, or our Red Dead Redemption 2 legendary animal locations guide, if you feel like going for a hunt.
If you're looking for info on RDR2's Online mode, we've got you covered. You can head over to our Red Dead Online Guides Hub to find all of our Red Dead Online Guides content in one handy place. Alternatively, you can find info on the best weapons in our Red Dead Online Best Weapons Guide, see what the best horse is in our Red Dead Online Horses Guide, learn how to make as much money as fast as possible in our Red Dead Online Money Making Guide, and see what the deal is with Camps in our Red Dead Online Camps Guide.