Dreams is available right now in early access form, before the full package launches at some point later this year. In our Dreams beginner's guide, we'll be walking you through the opening of Media Molecule's game, which gets you to grips with the motion controls, mechanics for your Imp, and various other features of the game.
Dreams Beginner's Guide
In the list of steps below, we'll be walking you through everything that goes on in the opening of Dreams.
- First thing's first, pick your Imp! The Imp is your colorful cursor in Dreams, and it's this character that will accompany you through the game.
- Press the right trigger while hovering over certain objects with your Imp to possess them.
- These can be objects like light bulbs, or vehicles that you can drive.
- You can also possess the cone, which can then move around, providing your Imp with a functioning body.
- While possessing an item like a light bulb, that can be turned on and off, you can press X to activate and deactivate the item.
Once you're through the tutorial section of Dreams, you're out into your hub area. Here, if you press Options on the DualShock 4 or Move controller, you'll have access to the main menu of the game, which is where things really open up. Below, we'll break down all the options available to you from this main menu in Dreams.
- Homespace Editor - Here you can edit your very own hub area of Dreams, but there are limited options for customization here, as the game says it's still being worked on.
- Dream Surfing - Here you can delve into other Dreams player's levels, taking a tour through stages and worlds that other players have built.
- Dream Shaping - This is where you can create your very own Dreams level, or select an existing one to remix.
- Community Jam - In this area, Media Molecule will set a topic or theme, and task creators with building levels around that theme. The theme is changed roughly every fortnight.
- Your Profile - Here you can customize your Dreams experience, changing your settings so that other players can or can't see your PSN ID, as well as the appearance of your Imp.
With this, you're at the beginning of your journey in Dreams. From here you can delve into the worlds of other players around the globe, or starting building your own levels with just a few button presses.