The Gaping Dragon is located deep in the Depths of Dark Souls Remastered, and you’re going to be hard pressed to make it to the boss alive, let alone taking it down for good. In this Dark Souls Remastered Gaping Dragon boss guide, we’ll be walking you through how to defeat the Gaping Dragon, walking you through how to take down the boss quickly and effectively, so you can continue your adventure through one of the more treacherous areas in the entire game.
But if you instead need a helping hand with anything else in this expansive game, make sure to head over to our complete Dark Souls Remastered guides hub. It’s in this walkthrough guide that you’ll find our complete beginner’s guide to the game, including how to get to grips with the overall combat system, as well as how to master the complex art of parrying.
Dark Souls Remastered Gaping Dragon Boss Guide
The Gaping Dragon boss in Dark Souls Remastered is absolutely colossal, being arguably the biggest boss in the entire game. This doesn’t necessarily mean it’s one of the most difficult though, and it has a large arena to compensate for the huge size of the boss. Unfortunately, you’re going to need to make it through the Gaping Dragon if you want to reach Blighttown, one of the most iconic areas in all of the Dark Souls series.
- You can summon Knight Solaire on the floor just above the boss gate.
- There’s a Channeler near a large group of rats overlooking the boss arena with the Gaping Dragon, and we’d strongly recommend taking them out before heading into the boss fight.
- If you’re human, you can summon Solaire of Astora near the top of the stairs that lead down to the arena with the Gaping Dragon.
- When the Gaping Dragon rears its head back, it’ll slam into the ground in front of it, dealing massive damage but leaving the boss stunned for a few seconds.
- When the ground begins to shake, this means the Gaping Dragon is about to do a rush attack where it runs across the battlefield. You can dodge this attack by rolling to either side.
- The float attack can come when the Gaping Dragon rises into the air, during which you should sprint away from the boss as quickly as possible.
- The boss has a second attack where it rears its head back into the air, slamming it back onto the ground repeatedly. If you’re not on full health, this attack can kill you instantly.
- If you stay behind the Gaping Dragon, it can execute a wide area attack consisting of acid. If you see the boss turn its teeth inwards, make sure to back off as quickly as possible.
- Another attack the boss can perform is a wide tail swipe, signalled by the tail beginning to move when you’re behind the monster. To counter this you can either dodge, block with your shield, or cut the tail off of the Gaping Dragon entirely.
- If you hang around next to an arm of the Gaping Dragon, the boss will attempt to grab you. If you are grabbed, you’ll be pulled up into the mouth of the boss, and you have to mash the right bumper to break free.
- We’d recommend prioritizing rolling and dodging speed over armor power for this boss fight.
- Keep on the move at all times, and as long as you know which movements from the boss signal particular attacks, you can deal with the Gaping Dragon easily.
We might be all wrapped up, but there’s plenty more bosses for you left to take down in Dark Souls Remastered. Head over to our Chaos Witch Quelaag guide, where we'll walk you through how to defeat the boss that's waiting for you at the very bottom of Blighttown.