More from USgamer
Madden 19 presents you with a total of 32 defensive playbooks to use, but which are cut above the rest? In our Madden 19 defensive playbooks guide, we'll be detailing some of the best Madden 19 defensive playbooks in the entire game, so you always know which playbooks to turn to against any opponent.
If you instead need anything else on the latest iteration of EA’s flagship football sim, you’ll want to head over to our Madden 19 guides hub. It’s in this guide that you’ll find everything you need on the basics of the game, including all the details you need on every single gameplay change that EA has made for this year so far.
Madden 19 Best Defensive Playbooks
Just below, we'll be listing out the top three defensive playbooks in Madden 19. We'll also be selecting a number of unique plays from each playbook, which should form the basis of your defense when you're on the field.
Madden 19 Eagles Defensive Playbook
The Eagles haven't had the best start to the season after taking the Super Bowl trophy home in the previous season, but their defensive playbook is still a force to be reckoned with. There are some excellent coverage and blitz plays alike in the list below.
- 4-3: Cover 6 - This play is a great one for some lockdown coverage. You’ll want to control the corner on the right of the field, and basically patrol that side of the field, since zones can take care of the left.
- 4-4: Monster Green - Although this is a blitz play, it doesn’t leave you exposed in the backfield. We’d recommend controlling the middle linebacker, and try to support the purple coverage zones to either side of you.
- Big Nickel: Cover 6 Invert - Just like the previous Cover 6 play, this is another fantastic play for some zones that spread right across the field.
- Big Nickel: Cover Contain 2 - This is a solid play to select if you need blanket coverage of the field. It’s also a good play to choose if you’re playing someone who likes to take off and run downfield with the QB, since it has that contain zone in the middle.
- Dime: Cover 3 Buzz Match - This is a great coverage play from the Dime formation, and in case you’re unaware, the Dime formation always prioritises cornerbacks on the field, over linebackers.
- Dime: Fox Fire Zone Press - If you can move the blitzing cornerback down to the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped, this should be an excellent blitz play for you.
- Dime: 3 Double Sky - The same applies for this play, except this time you’ll have two blitzing cornerbacks to move down to the line. We’d recommend controlling one of the safeties that cover either side of the field.
Madden 19 Lions Defensive Playbook
For those who feel more comfortable playing with the 3-4 scheme, the Detroit playbook is perfect for you. It's no mistake that the Detroit playbook looks a lot like New England's from previous years, after they hired Patriots defensive co-ordinator Matt Patricia as head coach.
- 3-4: Pinch Buck 0 - Out of the Under formation comes this brutal blitz play, perhaps the best blitz in the entire playbook if you're looking to stuff a short run.
- 3-4: Clamp Double Go - From the Solid formation you can find this blitz play, which actually offers some decent zone coverage, especially if you manually play any of the deep zone corners.
- 4-3: Mike Will Cross Press - You can find this play in the Under formation, and it's excellent for zone coverage, while also bringing two blitzing linebackers up the middle.
- Nickel: Cover Sky 3 - Out of the Normal formation, this play is great for completely covering the middle of the field in zones, and is perfect for those who prefer to manually play deep corners.
- Nickel: Overload 3 Sky Press - This devastating blitz play comes from the 3-3-5 Odd formation, and can be even more powerful if you move the blitzing cornerback down near the line of scrimmage.
- Big Nickel: SS Blitz 3 - If you can move the blitzing cornerback down to the line of scrimmage before the snap, this play can be an effective, incredibly quick blitz.
Madden 19 Jaguars Defensive Playbook
Finally, the Jacksonville playbook is great for those who prefer the 4-3 scheme. Featuring arguably the best defense in the entire league, there's some standout blitz plays in the selection below.
- 4-3: Free Fire 3 - There are plenty of great blitz plays from this formation, but this one is an excellent option, especially if your opponent likes to run the ball up the middle.
- 4-3: Corner Blitz 3 - If you manually play either of the outside linebackers, you can ensure that outside runs are stuffed immediately.
- 46: Rush Outside - If you're looking to stop a quick run up the middle, then look no further than this play, which can be even more devastating if you manually blitz using one of the linebackers.
- Nickel: Cover 3 Cloud Show 2 - Featuring two linebackers that fall back from the line of scrimmage and into coverage, this is a useful play for stopping short passes and runs.
- Nickel: Cover 1 LB Blitz - If you manually play the non blitzing linebacker and cover the middle of the field, this blitz can be great for stopping both run and passing plays.
- Dime: Cover 6 - You can't go wrong with a solid Cover 6 play for pure coverage, and that's exactly what this play can do for you.
This is the conclusion of our best Madden 19 defensive playbook guide, but we’ll be adding to the list above whenever we uncover any new defensive plays from the Eagles playbook. Now though, you can check out our best Madden 19 offensive playbook guide, where we list out the very best plays from the Patriots offensive playbook.
This article may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and buy the product we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.