No Man's Sky has changed a fair bit since launch. The most recent update, NEXT, tweaked every resource in the game, and changed the way the player obtains, processes and used each material found while scavenging. One of the new additions is that of the Refiner, which is used to transform basic resources into more useful, valuable, and rare ones. In this No Man's Sky Refiner Guide, we'll go over exactly how to use a Refiner in No Man's Sky. We'll cover how to build a refiner, how to fuel one, and also give you some ideas as to what you can make with your shiny new piece of kit.
For more on No Man’s Sky, be sure to check out our No Man’s Sky Guides Hub. It’s got beginner’s tips, info on how to save storage space in your suit, ship and freighter, and even a look at exactly how the new multiplayer features work.
No Man’s Sky Refiner Guide
The portable refiner is a new item in No Man’s Sky, which has been added as part of the new update. It falls under the portable technology banner, and can be used to synthesize useful resources, and to increase the potency of certain fuel sources. Here’s everything you need to know about the No Man’s Sky Refiner.
How to Build a Refiner in No Man’s Sky
If you’re just starting out post-NEXT update, you’ll be shown how to craft a Refiner in the opening tutorial. If you’ve just loaded up an old save, you’ll need to work it out yourself. Luckily, it’s pretty simple. All you need to do is follow the steps listed below, and you’ll be the proud owner of a shiny new refiner in no time.
- Press up on the d-pad to access the build menu, this can be done on any planet surface or in your base or freighter
- Scroll across to the “portable technology” section
- Hit up again
- Select the Refiner, you’ll need a Metal Plating (50 Ferrite Dust), and Oxygen (30) to craft it
- Place it down where you’d like to use it
How to Use the Refiner in No Man’s Sky
Once you’ve built and placed your new refiner, you just need to walk up to it and hold the interact button to start using it. From there, just follow these tips:
- In order to synthesize a product with the Refiner, you’ll need Fuel (either carbon or condensed carbon), a reagent
- Place the fuel in the fuel slot
- Place the reagent in the Input slot
- The game will then tell you what you can make, and put it into the Output slot
- Hold the interact button to start the process, you can see how long it will take on the right side of the display
- Wait for it to synthesize
- Once the Refiner turns green, collect the product, any remaining reagent in the Input slot, and then exit
- The Refiner is actually portable in No Man’s Sky, so be sure to pick it up after you’re finished, any remaining fuel will be returned to your inventory
What Can You Make with a Refiner in No Man’s Sky
So now you know how to make a refiner, but why would you want to? Well, the refiner actually allows you to more efficiently make use of key resources. You can turn carbon into condensed carbon, which will provide more of a refill when added to your mining beam. You can also use a refiner to significantly increase the value of certain items. For example, Cobalt can be turned into ionised cobalt, which is much more valuable.
That’s all you need to know about Refiners in No Man’s Sky. We’ve got plenty more info on the game, like how to make money fast in No Man’s Sky, our No Man’s Sky Customization guide, and No Man’s Sky Inventory Management Guide.