The third chronological dungeon in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the Key Dungeon, but you're going to need to obtain a unique key to enter it. In this Zelda Link's Awakening Slime Key guide, we'll be walking you through how to get said key as easily as possible, in order to enter the Key Dungeon.
Zelda Link's Awakening: How to Get the Slime Key
In the southern area of the Ukulu Prairie in Link's Awakening, you'll find a small house, on the edge of a field of grass. Within this house is a man called Richard, who tasks Link with retrieving five Golden Leaves from around the Kanalet Castle, which is located just north and slightly east from Richard's house.
In order to unlock Kanalet Castle, you need to have completed a series of events around Mabe Village, that kick off with obtaining the Yoshi Doll from the crane game. For a complete walkthrough of how to get access to the castle, head over to our Link's Awakening Kanalet Castle guide.
Zelda Link's Awakening Golden Leaves
But once you're in the walls of Kanalet Castle, you need to track down the five Golden Leaves, all of which are within the castle. Below, we've detailed a list of the steps you need to take in order to obtain all five leaves.
- Head to the western outer wall of the castle.
- Plant a bomb by the crow on the tree, to scare it away and get the first Gold Leaf.
- Head around the outer wall of Kanalet Castle to find a creature that pops out of the ground.
- Kill the creature by hitting it whenever it pops up, and you'll get the second Gold Leaf.
- Go through the main door of Kanalet Castle, and into the entrance hall.
- Kill two knights and one red Gel in the entrance hall to get the third Gold Leaf.
- Head upstairs to the second floor of Kanalet Castle.
- You'll see the outlines of two knights in the wall, dead ahead of you on the second floor.
- Put a bomb next to the knight on the left, then defeat the knight when it materializes to get the fourth Gold Leaf.
- Go out of Kanalet Castle interior, and onto the balcony.
- Go through the door in the middle of the balcony, then pick up a vase, and throw it at the door inside to open it.
- Go through the door, and defeat the gold knight that swings a mace around to obtain the final Gold Leaf.
Now backtrack south all the way to Richard's house. He'll thank you for delivering him the Golden Leaves, and ask that you descend down underneath his house to claim your reward. Seems a bit suspicious.
When you're under the house, head upwards, and then take the stairs back above ground that you come to. You'll find yourself in the field to the right of Richard's house, and the aim here is to work your way to the stone owl statue at the top of the area, avoiding the holes in the ground as you go.
Standing two paces in front of the stone owl statue, face towards the statue, and use your shovel on the ground. Link will now dig up the Slime Key, which you can now take just to the left of Richard's House, and use it to unlock the Key Dungeon. Job done!
If it's more Link's Awakening coverage you're after, then USG has you sorted. You can head over to our additional guides on the game, including our Link's Awakening Dream Shrine guide for how to get the Ocarina, our Link's Awakening Kanalet Castle guide for how to complete the trading sequence, our Link's Awakening Slime Key guide for the locations of all the Golden Leaves for Richard, or our Link's Awakening Wind Fish Egg guide for more.