Beyond Good and Evil 2 is real and in development at Ubisoft. The game was finally officially revealed at E3 2017 during Ubisoft’s conference (yes, we know it was revaled years ago, but this was a proper reveal with the actual promise of a game). We’ll keep you updated with all the latest info as it breaks, including the Beyond Good and Evil 2 release date and pre-order info.
We're at E3 2017 covering the year's biggest gaming event. Be sure to check out all our coverage on our E3 2017 hub!
Beyond Good and Evil 2 Release Date and Space Monkey Program
Although revealed in a stunning cinematic trailer, showing off a number of the game’s characters (see it below), there was no info from Ubisoft on the release date for Beyond Good and Evil 2. Michel Ancel revealed that the studio had been working on tech for the game for over three years, but it’s unclear if we should expect the highly anticipated game in 2018 or later.
We spoke to Ancel at E3 2017, and he revealed that Beyond Good and Evil 2 is in fact at "day zero" in the development stage. Although the studio has been working on tech for the game for over three years, the CGI trailer shown for the game at Ubisoft's conference is nothing more than a design plan.
But Ancel also revealed that you could create your own character for Beyond Good and Evil 2, meaning the monkey character that we saw in the reveal trailer wouldn't be the protagonist, as it might have seemed at the time.
The Space Monkey Program was announced at E3 2017, shortly after the reveal trailer aired at Ubisoft's E3 presentation. Fans can register on the official website and then somehow be part of Beyond Good and Evil 2’s development.
Beyond Good and Evil 3 takes place in System 3, years before the birth of the original game’s protagonist, Jade. It’s a world in which hybrids are created in labs and enslaved for evil means. The crazy cast of characters in Beyond Good and Evil 2 will fight for freedom. It was also revealed that you’ll be able to play alone or with friends.
Beyond Good and Evil 2 E3 2017 Gameplay Demo
Ubisoft posted the video just below to their official YouTube channel, featuring Michel Ancel walking the viewers through a gameplay demo that was very much still a work in progress, with unfinished assets. We previously saw this same demo behind closed doors at E3 2017, but we'll point out some of the highlights of the video just below.
- The Mother Ship shown is about 400 metres long, and will act as a portable home for the player.
- You can store multiple spaceships that you collect in Beyond Good and Evil 2 within this massive mothership.
- Ancel was playing as the monkey from the reveal trailer shown at Ubisoft's presentation, but he reaffirmed that you can create your own character in the game.
- You can take pictures in the game, for example Ancel claimed you could take pictures of events like slavery or human trafficking, and then show them to others around the city in order to trigger a discussion.
- Ancel really drove home the scale of Beyond Good and Evil 2, landing on top of a massive statue, and pointing out how large the Mother Ship was in comparison to smaller space crafts.
- There will be a full time cycle in Beyond Good and Evil 2, as Ancel demonstrated by fast forwarding time, where individual planets rotated at different speeds.
Beyond Good and Evil 2 was first teased way back in 2009, with a video you can see below.
Since then news on the game has been slim, but it now finally seems real.
There's not much info to go on at the moment, but we'll update this page with more as it breaks.