No Man's Sky offers up an endless universe filled with planets to see and aliens to talk to. There are three alien races in the game, each with its own Standing level. This relates to how each race perceives you, and affects everything from trading prices to hostility. You'll want to keep every one of them on your side, as there's a ton of benefits for doing so. In this No Man's Sky Standings Guide, we'll show you exactly how to do so, and hopefully help keep you in everyone's good books.
For more info on No Man's Sky, head over to our No Man's Sky Guides Hub. It's got a ton of useful guides on the game, all up to date as of the new No Man's Sky NEXT Update. There's beginner's tips and tricks, a look at how to manage your inventory, and more.
How to Increase Standing With the Gek, Korvax and Vy'keen in No Man's Sky
We've already outlined some of the reasons why you'll want to increase you're standing with all three races in the game, so let's move onto how to do so. Here's how to increase your standing with the Gek, Korvax and Vy'keen in No Man's Sky.
- Find Alien Monoliths - Some locations you come across are labeled “Monolith” and feature alien monuments or obelisks in geometric shapes that you can interact with. Once you do, a short description of what happens appears, and you're given a choice on what to do. Choose correctly and your standing with the dominant species of alien on that planet will increase. The scenarios you're given aren't always entirely clear about what the right thing to do is, but generally being respectful of the alien monument and the implied alien customs will generally do the trick. Greater knowledge of alien languages also allow you to be able to understand beings summoned by the Monolith are saying, giving you more of a clue. Be careful, though, because choosing wrong can actually make your standing decrease.
- Repair Manufacturing Facilities - The locations marked “Manufacturing Facilities” are sealed buildings that require you to blast the door down to get inside. Once there, you can examine the terminal in the middle of the room to diagnose what's going wrong and try to fix it from among three different options. Choose correctly and the facility will stabilize, rewarding you with increased standing and new technology.
- Be Nice to Everyone You Meet - When you begin to encounter members of the different alien species, they'll often request things of you. If you comply, your standing with all members of that alien species will increase. This is a bit trickier than it sounds, however, as they'll mostly speak to you in their own language. If you can't get the gist through the alien words you know, then you'll have to rely on their described body language and a bit of luck.
- Research Specimens - Some abandoned buildings will have an odd mass of textures on a shelf, a research specimen. Pick one up, and your standing will instantly increase. This is the least reliable method if you're specifically looking to increase your standing with aliens, however, as research specimens are somewhat elusive.
- Learn Alien Languages -The vast majority of the opportunities you're given to increase your standing with aliens are made much easier the more words of the appropriate alien language you know. Luckily, most of the ways listed here will also help you increase your alien lexicon. Monoliths will have Knowledge Stones – cylindrical unnatural stones with a circle carved into them – surrounding them, often with words pertinent to the Monolith's scenario. Manufacturing facilities will have a terminal in them with an alien word to learn. And sometimes you can pay different aliens you meet 20 Carbon to teach you a new word in their native tongue.
- Give Gifts - No Man's Sky is full of awesome resources that cater towards the tastes of each race. While speaking to an alien, you might be given the option to give them a gift. These gifts include Gek Charms, Korvax Crystals and other valuable items.
- Complete Missions - A handful of the in-game missions offer Standing increases as rewards. They're a great way to break up the monotony of the daily mining grind, so definitely worth checking out.
- Kill Pirates - Destroying rogue space pirates will increase your standing with the race that controls the star system you're in.
That's everything you need to know about increasing your standing with aliens in No Man's Sky. For more on the game, check out our tips on Inventory management in our No Man's Sky Inventory Guide. You can also head over to our No Man's Sky Units Guide for tips on How to make money fast in No Man's Sky.