Super Mario Maker 2 is now slated to add a ton of new features on top of the brilliant original formula. Just recently, Nintendo revealed the online and story modes for the game, and much more. In our page to the Mario Maker sequel, we'll be going over the Super Mario Maker 2 release date, all the new Super Mario Maker 2 building tools, and more.
Super Mario Maker 2 Release Date
Just below, you can see the debut Super Mario Maker 2 trailer. After this, it was revealed that Super Mario Maker 2 will release on June 28, for the Nintendo Switch.
Super Mario Maker 2 Story Mode
If you want a beginner's guide to Super Mario Maker 2, then Nintendo has you sorted with a new story mode. This takes place in a palace, which is slowly rebuilt using coins you've collected from completing levels. It features a ton of levels made by the dev team on Super Mario Maker 2, teaching you all the tips and tricks you need to know about getting started with creation.
Super Mario Maker 2 Online
In Super Mario Maker 2, you can download levels for offline play. Up to four players can assemble in one lobby, and then take on levels together, playing as Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Toadette.
Super Mario Maker 2 New Features
Super Mario Maker originally released in September 2015, only for the Wii U. This time round, the sequel will release only for the Nintendo Switch, and the basic premise of the game is that you can create any 2D Mario levels that you can imagine, with the sequel offering up even more scope and creativity.
There were tons of possibilities in the original Super Mario Maker, but the sequel is set to offer even more enemies and features for you to create your own levels with. How do we know this? Because Nintendo Life has already compiled a list of all the brand new features that the game has to offer. We’ve rounded up some of the best new features so far in the list below:
- There are now slopes of varying gradients. People really love the slopes.
- Gusts of wind are now available for your own levels, coming from Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels.
- There’s an angry sun that chases you from Super Mario Bros. 3.
- There’s now desert, snow, jungle, and forest themes available for your levels.
- There's also a set night theme, so you don't need to use the Ghost or Underground theme to make your levels dark.
- You can set custom paths for snake blocks, which first appeared in Super Mario World.
- New ant trooper enemy from Super Mario 3D World.
- You can now create vertically scrolling levels in Super Mario Maker 2.
- There are now giant Bullet Bills, but also Bullet Bills that can shoot out from the background of the level.
It’s pure speculation, but you can see that the feature art for Super Mario Maker 2 features Luigi standing alongside Mario. Could this mean that Super Mario Maker 2 might support split screen co-op? It’d certainly be a nice feature, and could follow suit from the Switch version of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker just recently getting co-op support.
As of right now, these are all the details we have on Super Mario Maker 2. We’ll be sure to keep this page updated whenever Nintendo reveal any additional details for the sequel, so check back at a later date for new info.