Horses are, predictably, a pretty huge part of Red Dead Online. Your favorite horse from single-player won’t follow you over to Red Dead Online, so you’ll need to buy a new one. To help you weed out the nags from the studs, we’ve put together this Red Dead Online Best Horses Guide. We’ll list every horse you can buy in the game, and give you our thoughts on what the best ones to buy are..
For more on Red Dead Online be sure to visit our Red Dead Online Guides Hub. It has links to all of our Red Dead Online Guides Content. From essential tips, to a look at how to earn money fast, we’ve got you covered.
- Red Dead Online Best Horses
- Red Dead Online Horse Level Unlocks - Full Horse List and Prices
- Can You Tame Wild Horses in Red Dead Online
- Red Dead Online Horse Insurance - Horse Insurance Explained
- How to Redeem Bonus Horses in Red Dead Online
- Red Dead Online Free Arabian Horse
Red Dead Online Best Horses
There is a wide selection of horses to choose from in Red Dead Online, but not all of them are worth your time. You’ll need to pay a premium for the great ones, and horse bonding still applies. To help you decide on which horse to spend your hard earned bucks on, we’ve listed the best horses in Red Dead Online, below:
- Missouri Fox Trotter - the best horse you can buy in Red Dead Online is the Missouri Fox Trotter. It is extremely fast, and when paired with some good stirrups, it has fairly decent stamina too. The main downside is that it costs $950, it is worth it though.
- Arabian - If you’re looking for more of an allrounder, the Arabian is the way to go. At 42 Gold it could be an incredibly expensive purchase, but it is the best in the game.
Red Dead Online Horse Level Unlocks - Full Horse List and Prices
We’ve pulled together a list of all of the horses you can currently get in Red Dead Online. You’ll find the Rank requirements, and prices below.
- Rank 5-10: Morgan - $55
- Rank 5-10: Tennessee Walker - 6 Gold
- Rank 5-10: Kentucky Saddler - $50
- Rank 5-10: Belgian - $120
- Rank 15: Shire - $120
- Rank 18: Suffolk Punch - $120
- Rank 21: American Standardbred - 6 Gold
- Rank 21: Appaloosa - 18 Gold
- Rank 21: American Paint - 6 Gold
- Rank 24: Hungarian Halfbred - 6 Gold
- Rank 27: Mustang - 14 Gold
- Rank 30: Nokota - 18 Gold
- Rank 36: Ardennes - 18 Gold
- Rank 36: Andalusian - 18 Gold
- Rank 36: Dutch Warmblood -18 Gold
- Rank 56: Turkoman - 38 Gold
- Rank 58: Missouri Fox Trotter - $950
- Rank 66: Arabian - 42 Gold
Can You Tame Wild Horses in Red Dead Online
Given how expensive the horses are in Red Dead Online, you might be wondering whether you can just grab a wild one instead, it’s free after all. Unfortunately, you cannot just use a wild horse in Red Dead Online. You can tame them, yes, but you cannot put a saddle on, or bond with them. This effectively makes them useless, so bad news for those looking to save a buck or two.
Red Dead Online Horse Insurance - Horse Insurance Explained
When you get your first horse in Red Dead Online you’ll be asked to put Horse Insurance on it. It’ll be free the first time, but will cost you valuable Gold after that, but do you really need it. There’s some misinformation going around that without Horse Insurance, you’ll lose your horse if it is killed. This is not the case, as Horse Insurance merely allows your horse to heal steadily over time, especially useful after it is downed. It also charges a player if they kill your horse. Without Horse Insurance, you’ll just need to use a horse reviver, and then head to a Stable to heal it. You will not lose your horse if it dies.
How to Redeem Bonus Horses in Red Dead Online
If you picked up the Special Edition of Red Dead Online, you’ll get a bonus horse right from the get-go. All you need to do is head into the Handheld Catalogue, and look for the Thoroughbred. It’ll be listed as $0 if you redeemed everything correctly, and it’s well worth picking up.
Red Dead Online Free Arabian Horse
There's a way to get one of the horses for free in Red Dead Online. Currently, there is a selection of exclusive content being offered to all PS4 players. As part of this, you can get a Red Chestnut Arabian Horse for free. All you need to do is head to a Stable and make sure you have an empty slot. To do this, you can either sell your current horse, or purchase a new slot for $100. Select the empty slot and scroll down to 'Superior'. You'll want to select 'Arabian', where you can get a free horse. This is only available for PS4 users for the time being, but will open up to Xbox soon.