If you want to stack up against the competition in Red Dead Online, you’ll need to have the best weapons. Problem is, you’ll need to reach a certain level for each one, and even then you still have to buy them. To help you decide on which weapons are worth your time in Red Dead Online, we’ve put together this Red Dead Online Best Weapons Guide.
For more on Red Dead Online be sure to visit our Red Dead Online Guides Hub. It has links to all of our Red Dead Online Guides Content. From essential tips, to a look at how to earn money fast, we’ve got you covered.
- Red Dead Online Best Weapons
- Red Dead Online Weapon Level Unlocks
- Red Dead Online Weapon Prices
- How to Get Pre-Order/Bonus Weapons in Red Dead Online
- Red Dead Online High Roller Double Action Revolver Free
- Can You Upgrade Your Weapons in Red Dead Online?
Red Dead Online Best Weapons
The weapons in Red Dead Online are the same that you’ll find in the single-player game. They do handle slightly differently though, and the best weapons to use online are not necessarily the ones you’d use in single-player. We’ve listed the very best weapons in Red Dead Online, below:
- Semi-Automatic Pistol - as it stands, Dead Eye is pretty powerful in RDO, especially when paired with a semi-automatic weapon. Hitting R2 repeatedly will fire bullets very quickly, taking down enemies in no time.
- Springfield Rifle - the Springfield is a seriously powerful rifle that will kill in one hit above the chest. This is great if you aren’t confident on getting a headshot. It’s also very accurate, and its reticle has a very speedy cooldown.
- Litchfield Repeater - the Litchfield Repeater is easily the best Repeater you can get in Red Dead Online. It’s perfect for taking down large groups of enemies quickly, due to its high rate of fire.
- Bow - the Bow is very effective in Red Dead Online, especially when paired with Dead Eye. It’s also silent, which helps in some game modes.
- Repeating Shotgun - this is possibly the best weapon in the game. It is surprisingly effective at mid range, and is unstoppable if you get up close.
- Schofield Revolver - this revolver is great for landing easy headshots, given its stability.
Red Dead Online Weapon Level Unlocks
To use some of Red Dead Online’s weapons, you’ll need to level up. There are rank requirements listed in the catalogue, but we’ve pulled them all together into a handy list. You can find it just below:
- Rank 5 - Pump Action Shotgun
- Rank 7 - Bolt Action Rifle
- Rank 8 - Throwing Knife, Varmint Rifle
- Rank 9 - Schofield Revolver
- Rank 10 - Bow
- Rank 11 - Repeating Shotgun
- Rank 12 - Lancaster Repeater
- Rank 13 Rolling Block Rifle
- Rank 15 - Cleaver
- Rank 16 - Dynamite
- Rank 17 - Double Action Revolver
- Rank 18 - Litchfield Repeater
- Rank 19 - Sawed-Off Shotgun
- Rank 21 - Volcanic Pistol
- Rank 22 - Semi-Automatic Pistol
- Rank 24 - Fire Bottle
- Rank 28 - Hatchet
- Rank 32 - Machete
- Rank 34 - Mauser Pistol
- Rank 36 - Tomahawk
- Rank 38 - Springfield Rifle
- Rank 42: Semi-Auto Shotgun
- Rank 50: Carcano Rifle
Red Dead Online Weapon Prices
Weapons are pretty pricey in Red Dead Dead Online, so you’ll want to consider your options carefully. To help you decide where to spend your hard-earned cash, we’ve listed all of the Red Dead Online Gun Prices below. We’ve also included the price in gold next to the dollar amount.
- Cattleman Revolver - $50
- Double-Action Revolver - $195
- Schofield Revolver - $296 (12)
- Volcanic Pistol - $450
- Semi-Automatic Pistol - $895
- Mauser Pistol - $1000
- Carbine Repeater - $90
- Lancaster Repeater - $405 (17)
- Litchfield Repeater - $580
- Varmint Rifle - $72
- Springfield Rifle - $240
- Bolt-Action Rifle - $360 (15)
- Rolling Block Rifle - $685 (28)
- Carcano Rifle - $760
- Sawed-Off Shotgun - $170
- Double-Action Shotgun - $285
- Pump-Action Shotgun - $444
- Semi-Auto Shotgun - $900
- Repeating Shotgun - $724 (29)
- Bow - $124
How to Get Pre-Order/Bonus Weapons in Red Dead Online
Some of the lucky ones among you might have pre-ordered Red Dead or picked up one of the Special Editions. If you did, then you’ll have some free weapons waiting for you when you sign in, but it’s not immediately obvious how to get them. You’ll need to have completed the intro first, and have received the Handheld Catalogue. Once you have it, open it by holding left on the d-pad. Head to the weapons section and scroll through. You’ll notice some weapons are listed as $0, these are your bonus weapons.
Red Dead Online High Roller Double Action Revolver Free
PS4 players can pick up a free High Roller Double Action Revolver from the outset of the game. Just head to the Fence and you'll find it in the Buy menu. This is a great weapon to have at the start of Red Dead Online, with the highest firing rate of all the revolvers.
Can You Upgrade Your Weapons in Red Dead Online?
In RDR2 single-player, you can upgrade and modify certain weapons. This is unfortunately not the case in Red Dead Online, not yet anyway. For now, just make sure you are keeping your weapons clean, and purchasing alternate ammo to power up your shots.
For our Red Dead Redemption 2 guides, you can check out our main Red Dead Redemption 2 guides hub. There's also our complete Red Dead Redemption 2 cheats guide, a page on how to get a new horse in RDR2 if you're stranded in the middle of nowhere, and our guide on how to earn RDR2 money quickly in the wild west. We've also got a Red Dead Redemption 2 Legendary Hunting Loctions guide, and a look at RDR2 Legendary Fishing Locations. We've also got pages on how to find the Jack Hall Gang treasure, and how to get perfect pelts in Red Dead Redemption 2.
If you're looking for info on RDR2's Online mode, we've got you covered. You can head over to our Red Dead Online Guides Hub to find all of our Red Dead Online Guides content in one handy place. Alternatively, you can find info on the best weapons in our Red Dead Online Best Weapons Guide, see what the best horse is in our Red Dead Online Horses Guide, learn how to make as much money as fast as possible in our Red Dead Online Money Making Guide, and see what the deal is with Camps in our Red Dead Online Camps Guide.