Octopath Traveler can throw a lot of information at you in the opening hours of the game, but the game never entirely explains character Jobs to you. In this Octopath Traveler Jobs guide, we’ll be explaining the role that different Jobs play for all eight characters in the game, as well as outlining how to unlock new Jobs in Octopath Traveler for each of your characters.
Octopath Traveler Jobs
Octopath Traveler never fully explains what Jobs are, but they can go by another name: character classes. In the JRPG, all eight characters start out with their own default Job/character class, and you’ll have to put the work in to unlock new Jobs for each character, so they can switch up their skills and attacks.
Each Job lets an Octopath Traveler character equip new weapons, as well as learn new Skills and Support Skills. For a complete walkthrough of what Skills are and how you can unlock new ones, head over to our Octopath Traveler characters skills guide.
Octopath Traveler Jobs for Each Character
Just below, we’ll be listing all eight characters in Octopath Traveler, pointing out their starting Job that they begin the game with.
- Alfyn (Apothecary) - Bonus HP, physical attack, and physical defense.
- Cyrus (Scholar) - Bonus to SP, elemental attack, and elemental defense.
- H’aanit (Hunter) - Bonus to physical attack, accuracy, speed, and evasion.
- Ophilia (Cleric) - Bonus to SP, elemental attack, and elemental defense.
- Olberic (Warrior) - Bonus to HP, physical attack, and physical defense.
- Primrose (Dancer) - Bonus to elemental attack, speed, and evasion.
- Therion (Thief) - Bonus to accuracy, speed, and evasion.
- Tressa (Merchant) - Bonus to HP, SP, Elemental attack, and elemental defense.
How to Unlock New Jobs in Octopath Traveler
But outside of these Jobs, there are four secret Jobs you can unlock by visiting various Shrines scattered throughout the world in which Octopath Traveler takes place. Check out the list of secret Jobs just below, as well as details on how to unlock each one.
- Starseer - Unlocked by visiting the Shrine of the Starseer, this Job has the Shooting Stars skill, which deals light, dark, and wind damage to all foes.
- Runelord - Unlocked through the Shrine of the Runelord, this Job boasts the ability to put elemental energy of any type into their weapon.
- Warmaster - Unlocked at the Shrine of the Warmaster, this Job has skills that deal multiple hits to all opponents, for every single weapon type.
- Sorcerer - Unlocked by visiting the Shrine of the Sorcerer, this Job has abilities that let you deal all different types of elemental damage to your opponents, multiple times.
And that concludes our guide on Octopath Traveler Jobs for all eight characters, as well as how you can unlock new Jobs. Continue ahead to our Octopath Traveler characters guide for how to unlock all eight characters to begin with, or our Octopath Traveler combat guide, for a more detailed look at strategies within the JRPG.