Shadow of the Colossus is coming to the PS4. This isn't just an HD port of the PS2 game, but a complete revamp with visuals created for the PS4. This guide to Shadow of the Colossus on PS4 includes all the info you need, including the Shadow of the Colossus PS4 Remake release date, graphical improvements, and how the PS4 game compares to the PS2/PS3 versions of the game.
For a complete guide, head to our Shadow of the Colossus PS4 walkthrough. You'll find a guide to every colossus in the game.
Shadow of the Colossus PS4 Remake Essential Information:
- Release Date: February 6, 2018
- Price: TBC
- Developer: Bluepoint/Sony Japan Studio
- Publisher: Sony
- Platforms: PS4
- Genre: Wonderful Adventure
Shadow of the Colossus PS4 Review Roundup
Shadow of the Colossus on PS4 reviews have hit the web, so we've rounded up the reviews from the biggest publications. Read on for all the important Shadow of the Colossus PS4 reviews.
- Gamespot Shadow of the Colossus PS4 review: "Shadow of the Colossus is a beautiful reconstruction of an already exceptional title."
- Polygon Shadow of the Colossus PS4 review: "I’ve come to appreciate the realistic look of Colossus, which felt crass at first, but has over time expressed a warmth that I never quite felt from its predecessor."
- Kotaku Shadow of the Colossus review: "Gorgeous contemporary recreation of a true classic that makes welcome tweaks while leaving the core of the experience untouched."
- Eurogamer Shadow of the Colossus PS4 review: "Shadow of the Colossus is such a sad, beautiful, thrilling game... It's a classic, and it's a privilege to play it in this stunning new form."
- IGN Shadow of the Colossus PS4 review: "It remains one of the best PlayStation games ever made, and it’s wonderful that Sony has brought it back to the fore so a new generation of gamers can experience it without having to look past its aged facade."
Shadow of the Colossus PS4 Remake Release Date
Up until October 2017, we had no firm release date for the Shadow of the Colossus HD Remake, other than a "2018" tag. But with the brand new trailer for the game below being revealed at Sony's Paris Games Week 2017 presentation, we now know that the Shadow of the Colossus Remake release date is February 6, 2018, and the game will take advantage of the HDR technology on the PS4 Pro.
As you can see from the first trailer for Shadow of the Colossus on PS4, this is no simple HD port of the PS2 original. While the locations and colossus are familiar, they've never looked this good before.
It's not yet clear if Shadow of the Colossus remake for PS4 will see any gameplay or design changes over the original, although it's highly likely the game will benefit from improved controls and a more modern camera system. The original game also suffered from a terrible frame rate on PS2.
But whereas the original game suffered from terrible frame rate issues, the Shadow of the Colossus remake looks to be hitting a solid 60 frames per second, if the gameplay video below is anything to go by. Keep in mind that the gameplay is taken from a PlayStation 4 Pro unit, but the full remake looks set to be targeting a consistent 60FPS.
Coming as a bonus in the PS4 remake of Shadow of the Colossus is a Photo Mode. Given the quality of the remaster, the photo mode should help players take some truly incredible pictures.
Shadow of the Colossus PS4 Intro Gameplay
If you don't mind about spoiling the start of Shadow of the Colossus on PS4, the first 15 minutes of gameplay have been posted onto YouTube thanks to Youtuber Arekkz.
Shadow of the Colossus PS4 vs PS3 - Graphics Comparison and Technical Analysis
If you want a detailed look at how the PS4 remake of Shadow of the Colosuss compares to the original game on PS2 and HD re-release on PS3, Digital Foundry has delivered the goods. The article claims that the remake is one of the best of all time and includes video and screens detailing all the enhancements.
We’ve crudely matched up images from the PS4 remaster of Shadow of the Colossus with images of the game running on the PS3. As you can see, a lot of work has gone into make the colossi look better than before while retaining their appearance.
Shadow of the Colossus Remake Hands On Impressions
Late last year, our Matt Kim went to check out the Shadow of the Colossus remake for himself, and noted that every asset for the upcoming remake had been constructed entirely from scratch, rather than using old assets as a starting point. For our complete hands on impressions of the upcoming game from Bluepoint, head over to our Shadow of the Colossus remake hands on piece.
We'll bring you more info on Shadow of the Colossus remake for PS4 as it's available.
This article may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and buy the product we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.