The launch of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S is causing the expected amount of hustle and bustle, adding a layer of noise to 2020's general sound and fury. Will things ever settle down? Will we ever stand on stable ground again? All we can say for sure is, "At least Falcom has plans to keep doing what it's doing."
Nihon Falcom, the studio behind beloved RPG series like Ys and The Legend of Heroes, has seen numerous console generations come and go in its decades of operation. Falcom is known for its steady game output, a trend the studio will continue through 2021. Big plans are in place, including a celebration for Falcom's 40th anniversary, an expansion of content on consoles and PC, and even a new Trails game.
Falcom revealed its agenda through its latest financial report, which Japanese content site Gematsu posted and translated. According to the "key tidbits" posted by Gematsu:
- 2021 is the 40th anniversary of Falcom.
- To celebrate said anniversary, Falcom plans to release multiple titles for various consoles. This includes a new game in the Trails series. (Trails of Cold Steel recently wrapped up with its fourth entry.)
- The Trails series has sold over five million copies, and has won accolades from the Japan Game Awards, Famitsu, and PlayStation. Falcom considers it a flagship series.
- Falcom plans to expand its game content to cover multiple platforms worldwide (North America, Europe, and Asia), including the PlayStation 4, Switch, PC, and smartphones.
- Falcom wants to continue offering appealing new game content while actively utilizing in-house IP like Ys and Trails to produce challenging new titles.
Falcom revealed it's working on a new Ys title as far back as February. I suspect we'll learn more in 2021. In the meantime, look forward to Ys 9: Monstrum Nox, which finally comes to North America on Feb. 2, 2021. You'll be able to grab it for the PlayStation 4, the Switch, and PC.