All of Tonight's Final Fantasy XV News: Release Date, New Movie, and More [Update: Trailers Added]

Final Fantasy XV is finally coming out on September 30, and it's bringing tie-in media.

News by Kat Bailey, .

It's been a decade, but gaming's most famous example of vaporware this side of Duke Nukem Forever finally has a release date.

At their Uncovered Final Fantasy XV event in LA, Square Enix revealed that the long lost next chapter in the series will be out September 30 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, ending speculation as to whether it would make it out in 2016.

The announcement was paired with a new trailer highlighting the progress Final Fantasy XV has made since early 2015's Episode Duscae, showing both the combat and scenes from the roadtrip (or brotrip) themed story. It certainly looks more polished than it did a year ago, which director Hajime Tabata said at the time was approximately 50 percent complete, and it's loaded with familiar Final Fantasy imagery - chocobos, summons, and all the rest.

In addition to the release date, Square Enix highlighted several media tie-ins.

Final Fantasy XV Platinum Demo

The previously leaked demo was formally revealed at tonight's event, and should be available as you read this on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It follows a young Noctis and Carbuncle as they venture through a world of dreams. It's meant to introduce players to the game's systems and world in a setting that is alternately fanciful and dangerous while also telling a (small) story of its own. If you finish it, Carbuncle will be available as a special summon in the final game. We'll share our impressions of the demo with you soon.

Justice Monsters Five

In the tradition of Blitzball and all the rest, there will be a minigame in Final Fantasy XV. Titled "Justice Monsters Five," it looks a bit like a bullet hell pinball game, and it will be available to play outside the game via iOS, Android, and Windows 10. It doesn't look all that impressive, honestly - certainly not on the level of Blitzball or Triple Triad - but we only really have a trailer to go on, so it could actually be really deep and fun. It certainly draws from a strong tradition of Final Fantasy minigames.

Brotherhood Final Fantasy

A new anime by A-1 Pictures that serves as a prequel of sorts for Final Fantasy XV by showing how Noctis first got together with his roadtrip crew. It will span five episodes lasting around 10 minutes each, and it will be available for free on Youtube. In addition to laying down some of Final Fantasy XV's backstory, it depicts an injury that becomes significant in the main game.

Kingsglaive Final Fantasy XV

A new full-length motion picture (yep) by director Takeshi Nozue featuring a story that takes place at the same time as Final Fantasy XV. Kingsglaive deals with an invasion taking place during Noctis's roadtrip, with all of the attendant consequences. Compared to Final Fantasy XV proper, it has a bit more of a high fantasy look and feel to it, which may appeal to old-school fans of the series. Adding to that feeling is the casting of Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister in Game of Thrones) and Sean Bean (Ned Stark in Game of Thrones), who bring their own brand of fantasy street cred with them. Oh, Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad) has a role, too. The distribution has yet to be determined, but there's a possibility it will end up getting a limited theatrical run. More likely, it will end up on a streaming service near you.

With Kingsglaive and Brotherhood, my first thought was that Square Enix was attempting something akin to a scaled down Fabula Nova Crystallis - the ill-fated multi-game series that partly gave rise to Final Fantasy XV. I asked Tabata if this was an attempt at a more manageable Fabula Nova Crystallis, and he replied, "I was personally responsible for one of the games in Fabula Nova Crystalis, so I felt somewhat [unmanageable], yeah. But my focus is more making Final Fantasy XV work in this new era we find outselves in than trying to kind of reinvent Fabula Nova Crystallis."

Regardless of Square Enix's intentions, it's once again full steam ahead for the series. Square Enix pretty clearly wants Final Fantasy XV to be a big deal this fall, so it's not surprising to see this sort of tie-in media, as well as a second demo. But at the risk of seeming trite, it's really down to the game. If the game is good, then the hype and excitement will grow organically. If you want a good example, just take a look at the success of Final Fantasy XIV.

In the meantime, I'm curious to hear what you think of the demo. Share your impressions in the comments, and we'll have expanded thoughts of our own soon.

Comments on this article are now closed. Thanks for taking part!

i'll give the demo a try out but i'm on the ropes with FF. can't wait for Persona though, why no news Atlus.
    Gotta make back 10 years of sunk costs somehow.
    Calling it now: Sean Bean's character will die.
  • Avatar for KaiserWarrior #4 KaiserWarrior 2 years ago
    I still have some hope... I suppose we'll see with the demo when I get a chance to play it tomorrow.

But with all of this big-budget tie-in stuff? More and more XV is looking less like a game and more like a product. That's worrisome.
    So excited. Downloading as we speak. The CG film looks good - less interested in the series.
    Why have Square editing in people cheering into the game trailer? How utterly bizarre and illogical.

The game itself looks so far removed from everything Final Fantasy ever stood for they should have just called it something else. And the character designs are truly awful.

FF6 and 9 were the high points for the series. Sadly those days are now long, long gone.
    I'm a huge FF fan, but I can't help but feel this will be a laughable, cringe-worthy exercise in self-indulgence the same way Advent Children was. I'm not some sour old "FF hasn't been good since IX!" naysayer. XII was my favorite, I didn't hate XIII, and I even played and enjoyed the MMOs (which most people stupidly consider not to be 'real' FF games). But I just can't get excited for this - as someone else said, it feels less like a game and more like a product.

On top of that, it just doesn't look that great - we're stuck with the same idiotic teenage protagonists we've had since FFVIII (seriously, that blonde Zell-like guy... I see him for 5 seconds in a trailer and I already want to murder him). The combat looks way too much like Kingdom Hearts - in a bad way. and that story - a spoiled prince with daddy issues - yippee. It's not the 10 year wait that's killed my excitement - just what I've seen of the actual product. It looks "Final Fantasy" enough - crystals, terrible Nomura designs, self-important anime brooding, over-the-top combat, chocobos, all that. It just doesn't look like a very good Final Fantasy.

It feels bittersweet, to see my once-favorite series stagnate and become irrelevant. But it's alright! Most gamers have already moved on to better, deeper, and more rewarding experiences. No hard feelings, SE.
  • Avatar for UnskippableCutscene #8 UnskippableCutscene 2 years ago
    Demo was fun. I drove a truck around knocking over wall after wall of building blocks, glitching the game out big time and causing the camera to flip out when I started walking among the ruins of oversized blocks.

Upon reaching the end, I used fireworks to explode one of the /!\ DANGER /!\ barrels while standing next to it and watched the kid lurch backwards as a huge oil explosion went up in his face. I noticed from then on that his clothes had smoke rising, which continued on into the ending cutscene.

So yeah, I had fun. It wasn't particularly deep, but it was sort of obvious it was more of an engine demo and a chance to play with the battle system for the public.
    Heh, I how love the story trailer is doubling down on the bromance aspect.

Can't say I'm terribly excited in the game myself, most of my interest is academic, I"m more interested in how it's received by other fans and critics at this point. Of course maybe I'll enjoy it more than I expect coming in with low expectations. I had an enjoyable time with XIII because of that.
  • Avatar for theresacatalano27 #10 theresacatalano27 2 years ago
    I'm legitimately excited for the game. I like the direction they're taking with it, both with the story and the gameplay. The mostly all male cast is refreshing, and the Kingdom Heartsy action gameplay seems like a natural progression for where the series has been heading since FF7. I still like the turn based games, but I'm okay with this sort of flashy action game if it's well made and fun, with some depth. And it looks like that will be the case.

So I have high hopes for this game. I hope it's a big hit for Square.
    Being excited for Final Fantasy in 2016 sure does feel weird. I'm still going to be wrapping my head around that when the game actually exists as a fully playable thing. It makes a few decisions I'm uneasy about, but FFXV does at least look New & Refreshing. XIV is surprisingly very enjoyable, but it's comfort food. The appeal of Final Fantasy was always the thrill of novelty and innovation. XV seems to at least kind of get that.

Square Enix is never gonna learn their lessons, though, are they?
    An event flag didn't trigger early in the demo and I couldn't progress. Had to restart the thing... it was nice to run around in but that left a bad taste in my mouth :(
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #13 The-Challenger 2 years ago
    I hope the villain is as androgynous and outrageous as past villains.
    What is up with this demo, people? It's like they mixed the combat from Kingdom Hearts with the soulless, guided experience of FFXIII. Really not feeling it.
  • Avatar for UnskippableCutscene #15 UnskippableCutscene 2 years ago
    @Vonlenska Final Fantasy doesn't have to be pushing innovation anymore, because Square owns so many more RPG brands now that Final Fantasy can just be a fusion of the most commercially successful aspects. They have Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, etc with which to experiment with things.

XV's combat kind of feels like an easier Souls clone, with blocks and QTE-based parries to assist people who aren't good at reading an animation tell and moving at the correct moment.
    @Jason-X What is up is that the Iron Giant battle is the real showcase for gameplay. The rest of the game is just a narrative-heavy tech demo. They littered the fields with buttons that change the time of day and the weather patterns just to show you how their engine can handle this.

Comments