All-Time 16-Bit Classics: Our Comprehensive Guide to the Best Super NES Games (Update: 1994!)

The year 1994 arrives, and with it some of the greatest games ever made. Our year-by-year video guide to the best of Super NES continues!

List by Jeremy Parish, .

Nintendo launched the Super NES in America in August 1991, and unlike its predecessor the NES, it got off to a roaring start. As the system approaches its 25th anniversary, we'd like to look back at its best releases year by year.

As with our massive video compendium of NES games, this isn't just a countdown. It's a collector's guide! In addition to telling you which games you need to track down, we also want to help you find them. Some games never made it beyond its original Super NES release, but quite a few of these greats can be dug up on Virtual Console, through remakes, and via compilations.

The Best Super NES Games of 1991

Where to find it: Wii Virtual Console, Wii U Virtual Console

SimCity

Nintendo | August 1991
Where to find it: Delisted from Wii Virtual Console

U.N. Squadron

Capcom | September 1991
Where to find it: Never reissued; only available via the original cartridge

ActRaiser

Quintet/Enix | November 1991
Where to find it: Wii Virtual Console

RPM Racing

Silicon & Synapse/EA | November 1991
Where to find it: Never reissued

Final Fantasy II

Squaresoft | November 1991
Where to find it: WonderSwan, GBA, DS, iOS, Steam, PSP/Vita, Wii Virtual Console

Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts

Capcom | November 1991
Where to find it: Saturn (import), PlayStation (import) Wii Virtual Console, Wii U Virtual Console

Super Castlevania IV

Konami | December 1991
Where to find it: Wii Virtual Console, Wii U Virtual Console

The Best Super NES Games of 1992

Contra III: The Alien Wars

Konami | April 1992
Where to find it: Game Boy port, Game Boy Advance remake, Wii Virtual Console, Wii U Virtual Console

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Nintendo | April 1992
Where to find it: Game Boy Advance remake, Wii Virtual Console, Wii U Virtual Console

Arcana

HAL | May 1992
Where to find it: Super NES version only

Super Star Wars

Sculptured Software/JVC | April 1992
Where to find it: Wii Virtual Console

Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Konami | June 1992
Where to find it: Wii Virtual Console, Wii U Virtual Console

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior

Capcom | July 1992
Where to find it: Wii Virtual Console (delisted), Wii U Virtual Console; arcade version appears in numerous collections, including PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Xbox, and PlayStation Portable/Vita

Mario Paint

Nintendo | August 1992
Where to find it: Super NES only

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time

Konami | August 1992
Where to find it: Super NES only; arcade remaster for Xbox 360 (delisted)

Super Mario Kart

Where to find it: Original Super NES release only

Goof Troop

Capcom | July 1993
Where to find it: Original Super NES release only

Super Mario All-Stars

Nintendo | August 1993
Where to find it: Wii (25th Anniversary Edition)

E.V.O.: The Search for Eden

Almanic/Enix | August 1993
Where to find it: Original Super NES release only

Zombies Ate My Neighbors

LucasArts/Konami | September 1993
Where to find it: Wii Virtual Console

Secret of Mana

Squaresoft | Dec. 1993
Where to find it: Wii Virtual Console, iOS/Android

The Best Super NES Games of 1994

Mega Man X

Capcom | Jan. 1994
Where to find it: iOS/Android, Wii & Wii U Virtual Console, PSP (as Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X)

Flashback: The Quest for Identity

Where to find it: Wii & Wii U Virtual Console

Sparkster

Konami | Oct. 1994
Where to find it: Original cart only

Final Fantasy III

Square | Oct. 1994
Where to find it: PlayStation Classics for PSP/PS3/Vita (as Final Fantasy Anthology), iOS/Android (as Final Fantasy VI), Steam (as Final Fantasy VI), Game Boy Advance (as Final Fantasy VI Advance)

Demon's Crest

Capcom | Nov. 1994
Where to find it: Wii U Virtual Console

Pocky & Rocky 2

Natsume | Nov. 1994
Where to find it: Original cart only

Donkey Kong Country

Rare/Nintendo | Nov. 1994
Where to find it: Game Boy Advance, Wii & Wii U Virtual Console

Comments on this article are now closed. Thanks for taking part!

I'm sure it benefits from having Japan launch Super Famicom first, but that is a really great lineup for the first year of a console.

Is U.N. Squadron tied to a license that keeps it from appearing on VC?
    That must be the best launch window lineup ever. Super Mario World, Final Fantasy 2, Super Castlevania IV, U.N. Squadron, Actraiser, Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, F-Zero, and Pilotwings. Wow.
    @Voncaster It is. It's tied to a manga named Area 88. There have been multiple anime adaptations of Area 88 but the game appears to be tied more to the manga.

Damn, I love Area 88! I have both the U.S. and Japanese carts.
    Years is the best way to do this, because so much is great.
    It's odd that Area 88 had to be called UN Squadron for the game release. I have 30 issues of the 42 issue Eclipse/Viz series.

I guess I don't love Final Fantasy IV that much, since I basically gave up by the time I got to the moon. Somehow the grindiness of the game just got to me, or I dreaded the story because of all that heartbreak.

Funny how Super Castlevania IV is the most expensive of all the games on this list, but Konami must've had small print runs.Edited 2 times. Last edited May 2015 by riderkicker
    Actraiser is still an amazing game in my opinion. Great memories. Final Fantasy II is also still one of my favorites.
  • Avatar for davidmerrell24 #8 davidmerrell24 3 years ago
    So at first I thought they were naming the best Super NES games of all time. I look at the list and Im like, yeah decent games but nowhere near the best on the system. Also realized I had most of these games right when the Super NES first came out so I reread the headline and realize they were talking about at launch. Taking that into consideration its really hard to argue that any system in the history of gaming has even come close to topping this kind of launch lineup. I mean I would gladly sit down and play the majority of these right now. Super NES will always be the best system in gaming for me. Especially for RPG's.
  • Avatar for franciscovillarrealh #9 franciscovillarrealh 3 years ago
    @davidmerrell24 Yeah, like the other article made here for the best NES games, grouping the best games by year-ish means more great games get the spotlight, instead of being the same five games from every other Top Ten list, plus a few lesser known ones.
    I've always had a soft spot for Nintendo and the softest of spots for the Super NES. I was 11 when the Super NES was released; lots of fond memories. Looking forward to this series.
  • Avatar for InsertTokenz #11 InsertTokenz 3 years ago
    I'm kind of surprised that Gradius 3 didn't make the list (even with some technical slowdown, I found the game to be really enjoyable).

Despite that, a great starting list for my favorite game console of all time. It's crazy to look back and see at how great the launch lineup for the SNES was. I think it's safe to say no other system before or after has managed to get it that good.

Super Mario World was the first Mario game I ever owned and played through to completion. A great introduction for me into the Mario series proper.

Actraiser certainly "raised" an eyebrow from me (I'm sorry!). The soundtrack alone set the bar ridiculously high on the presentation scale (Yuzo Koshiro on his A-game).

Final Fantasy 2(4) was a heck of a transition for the series into the 16-bit era.

UN Squadron from what I heard ended up being a better game than the original arcade game it was ported from.

F-Zero and Pilotwings delivered a sense of visual immersion I had yet to have seen at that time. It also gave quite the challenge too!

The SNES version of SimCity is still my favorite version of SimCity to this day. The Nintendo references and rewarding gameplay I still find fun.

Super Ghouls N' Ghosts also my favorite entry in the Ghost N' Goblins series.

Seeing RPM Racing in action, it's easy to see how Blizzard later ended up developing Rock N' Roll Racing.

Super Castlevania IV is also among one of my favorite Castlevania games. Presentation was top notch (another game with a fantastic soundtrack to accompany the experience).Edited 3 times. Last edited May 2015 by InsertTokenz
    Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts has also seen rereleases in Capcom Classics Collection Volume 1 (PS2, Xbox) and Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded (PSP), not to mention a Game Boy Advance remake featuring an arrange mode with stages from earlier G'nG games.
    Great job so far! I hope in the coming videos you also highlight the SNES sound chip. Castlevania IV is a game I often would stop moving and close my eyes to enjoy the superb music.
  • Avatar for SuperShinobi #14 SuperShinobi 3 years ago
    This would be a pretty good all-time top SNES games list. I think most of the system's best games were released during its amazing first year. Just add SF2, Contra 3 and Axelay and that would be the all-time list for me.

The mediocre RPM racing needs to be replaced with Super Tennis, Final Fight and Gradius 3 though.
    This is a really good list, To me Pilotwings is one of the best games I remember spending countless hours enjoying this game I still play it on my sons wii from time to time in fact i know what I'm doing when i get home from work. lol
    Great list, but still missing Gradius III, Super Off Road, and possible Populous. SNES really kicked ass right out of the gate.
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #17 jeremy.parish 3 years ago
    @tenderbrew I see a bunch of "but Gradius III!" here. I like Gradius III, but the Super NES port was a hash job. In terms of first-year arcade shooter conversions, U.N. Squadron absolutely shames Gradius III.

Also, I mentioned to Peter Molyneux once that I was mainly familiar with Populous through the Super NES version, and he said, "I'm SO sorry." I can't endorse a port that induces cringes in the game's original creator!Edited May 2015 by jeremy.parish
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #18 jeremy.parish 3 years ago
    @SuperShinobi The Super NES version of Final Fight was a disgrace, though. No multiplayer, no Guy. No thanks. They got the sequels right, but really blew it with the original...
  • Avatar for SuperShinobi #19 SuperShinobi 3 years ago
    @jeremy.parish
    Good point, it was indeed missing some of the content, most importantly the two-player mode. However, they were able to in general faithfully port over the visuals and gameplay of the arcade hit, which was an impressive feat. Hence it received very positive reviews at the time. Your colleague Jaz Rignall for example gave it 92% in Mean Machines.
  • Avatar for elizalansell21 #20 elizalansell21 3 years ago
    The 7 Day Millionaire is THE REAL DEAL. Don’t blow this off. You’re minutes away from SERIOUS MONEY. Check this out – ✒✒✒ www.Work4Hour.Com
  • Avatar for jeremyparish #21 jeremyparish 3 years ago
    @retr0gamer Sure, but they weren't out in 1991!
    It would be hard to put into words the anticipation a Nintendo obsessed kid like me felt for the launch of the SNES. It had been building for what seemed like ages back then, from mere rumors to the first glorious screenshots of Super Mario World in the pages of EGM. Such was the power of Sonic the Hedgehog at the time, though, that when Christmas of '91 was approaching and my parents asked what I wanted, I followed my request for a Super Nintendo by noting that a Genesis would also be acceptable. Of course I ended up getting a Genesis.

Not that my memories of that Xmas are unhappy. I loved Sonic, and I can even remember trying to convince my SNES owning friends that the Genesis was the better system ("Sonic is so much cooler than Mario!"). I don't think I ever really believed it though, and the games listed here are a good indication of why. Absolutely the best launch lineup of any system in history!
  • Avatar for Monkey-Tamer #23 Monkey-Tamer 3 years ago
    I still play many of these games. I wonder what modern games I'll still play two decades later besides Dark Souls.
    Glad to see this feature back! I've got to agree with the consensus and say: best launch lineup ever. Best console ever.
    @SuperShinobi I'm with you on Final Fight. I totally understand the reasons for Jeremy to exclude it and point out that better versions are available. However, as an only child who almost always played solo and visited an arcade once or twice a year, none of that mattered, and I have a lot of nostalgia for SNES Final Fight. It seemed like a massive step up from the NES Double Dragons I was used to, and the graphics and sound were quite impressive.

I've never played RPM Racing - is it really that good, or is it included for historical significance? Not that there's anything wrong with that - I hadn't known about Blizzard's history until this list prompted me to look that game up. So it was sort of a stealth teaching moment, which I appreciate.
    I know that RPM Racing is important with Blizzard and all, but it's not a very good game, honestly.

Everything else is great, though!
  • Avatar for thomasdehart83 #26 thomasdehart83 3 years ago
    How is this an all time best snes and its only 1991
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #27 jeremy.parish 3 years ago
    @thomasdehart83 Because this is only the first part of five. Stick around.
  • Avatar for InsertTokenz #28 InsertTokenz 3 years ago
    @hal9k Same thing with me and Final Fight. Sure it missed stuff, but man, seeing those large animated sprites in action for the first time was impressive for a console beat 'em up!

@jeremy.parish "Also, I mentioned to Peter Molyneux once that I was mainly familiar with Populous through the Super NES version, and he said, "I'm SO sorry." I can't endorse a port that induces cringes in the game's original creator!"

To be fair, Molyneux (from what I've read) comes across as having a bad habit of constantly throwing his previous works under the bus regardless of their quality, typically to build promise towards whatever he would be working on at that time. I could be wrong, but with someone like Peter Molyneux, it can be hard to tell. :)Edited May 2015 by InsertTokenz
    I gots a complaint!

The visual quality of the video is too low. I thought it was maybe youtube playing the video at less than 480 res, but apparently the recordings used to show the games (minus Super Castlevania 4), look very blurry and with JPG-like compression artifacts. Specially noticeable when played in full screen.
    That's an INSANE launch lineup. The SNES blew right out of the gate with top-notch software. As a kid who'd counted his NES as his top-most possession at the time, my anticipation for the early SNES games was through the roof -- and boy, did these games deliver, from graphics to sound to near-flawless gameplay.
    Great stuff, especially listing where to find these classics now.
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #32 jeremy.parish 3 years ago
    Deleted June 2015 by jeremy.parish
    @jeremy.parish That was a very boring episode of Game Center CX. Gascoin should've gotten the right to use the arcade board.
    No Super Metroid on this list? FOR SHAME
    @cassius Isn't Super Metroid a release from 1994 though? That would mean it's still two instalments away.
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #36 jeremy.parish 3 years ago
    @Hoolo We didn't have this problem with the year-by-year NES list. What's the deal, 16-bit fans?
    I don't see any Out of this World or Lemmings so I'll assume ports from PC were excluded...
  • Avatar for TotalHenshin #38 TotalHenshin 3 years ago
    I have to contest Soul Blazer. It did some very interesting things, but the enemy AI was so mindless, it quickly made the game feel like a slog. The semi-consistent addition of edifices and creatures to the non-dungeon associated "town" areas were great, but it stopping the action to move over to the town to show you what was added, then wiping back to the player just killed the pacing.

The Dark Cloud games were better follow ups to ActRaiser, especially Dark Cloud 2.

EDIT: I will note to say I've not played Quintent's post-Soul Blazer games. Illusion of Gaia is up next.Edited June 2015 by TotalHenshin
    Wow. 1992 was an excellent year as well. Kudos for the Legend of the Mystical Ninja and Soul Blazer nods.

@TotalHenshin Flip it around for me. I love Soul Blazer - probably in my top 5 for the SNES - but hated everything about Dark Cloud.

I was 12 years old when Soul Blazer was released so, as with most of these games, my fondness is a product of memory. I can see its shortcomings now, sure, but in 1992? Pure magic. (Especially the soundtrack.)

Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma are lovely games but Soul Blazer is the only one I still revisit every few years.Edited June 2015 by Xemus80
  • Avatar for TotalHenshin #40 TotalHenshin 3 years ago
    @Xemus80 I did dig the jams in Soul Blazer. I'll give you that wholeheartedly.
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #41 jeremy.parish 3 years ago
    @TotalHenshin Yo, Soul Blazer is a masterpiece and I won't hear otherwise.
  • Avatar for clearancesticker17 #42 clearancesticker17 3 years ago
    @TotalHenshin It's hilarious that I know the entire Soul Blazer OST by heart, but I have no idea what the game is like.

I saw a demo for it at a local video store and said, "Damn, those are some nice tracks!" and straight bought the OST.

But I'm guessing...that it's fun? Lol.
    @jeremy.parish Could not agree more!
  • Avatar for sonnybonds15 #44 sonnybonds15 3 years ago
    Super Mario Kart deserves it's own spot on top of a list by all accounts. This is a solid list though.
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #45 jeremy.parish 3 years ago
    @sonnybonds15 "The Top 10 Super Mario Kart Games of 1992"
    After watching the '91 and '92 videos with a fond remembrance of what was (in my mind) the true Golden Age of Gaming, I cannot help but feel melancholy for the current generation of games and the lack of any amazing grand titles. In the first 18 months alone, Nintendo's SNES had a STUNNING number of first-rate titles that, to this day, stick out as among the best of that 16-bit generation. As I watched the videos even I did not remember how frequent these hallmark titles were released in the early life of the platform. At the time, I owned most of the games on this list and played the hell out of them! I'm not sure we will ever again see a period in the launch window of a system where so many titles clicked across a wide range of genres. To me, this was an absolutely perfect system launch - AAA titles, innovative gameplay mechanics and tremendous replayability (even today). Can you imagine if Nintendo ever pulled off a feat of this magnitude again with their next generation system? I would be in on Day 1...
    @nimzy I'd buy that for a dollar! SNES Smash TV was one of the best co-op games, and I still have that music stuck in my head.
    @Avante I was thinking the same thing, though I can understand not including PC ports on a list like this (SimCity may be a bit of a special case, with its Nintendo-specific quirks). Still, '92 was a bumper year for PC conversions. Aside from the Lemmings and Out of This World ports you mentioned, the SNES also saw Wing Commander (compromised, but still fun) and a nice-looking rendition of Prince of Persia.

Also, no idea how best to play these games now, but the Super Scope was also released in '92, so that happened. That was the only time my dad ever bought something due to a hands-on demo at the mall - he loved that puzzle game that came as part of the Super Scope 6 (Blastris, I think?). Battle Clash was also pretty good.
    My favorite 1992 games that didn't make the list are Super Adventure Island, Space Megaforce (Super Aleste), and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

1993 was a really weak year for the Super NES in the United States. (It might be easier to fill a top 10 for 1993 with games that stayed in Japan than games that were released here.)
    I don't think there was a single Super NES game released in 1993 that I would wholeheartedly recommend, but my favorites are Secret of Mana, Metal Combat, Pocky & Rocky, The Lost Vikings, Sunset Riders, Super Bomberman, Run Saber, Goof Troop, and EVO. (I never really liked Star Fox, Super Mario All-Stars, Cybernator, Aladdin, Final Fight 2, Mortal Kombat, or Zombies Ate My Neighbors...)Edited June 2015 by Sturat
    @jeremy.parish Any chance of continuing this list? I think 1993 is next...
    I missed the SNES boat entirely back in the day thanks to it not being sold in South Africa, but got caught up several years after the fact with emulation on my PC. Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG quickly became my two favourites (sorry FF6 fans) along with a few others.
  • Avatar for nathanhill99 #51 nathanhill99 2 years ago
    Hey Jeremy, nice article. BTW don't forget that Super Star Wars is available on PSN now.
  • Avatar for SuperShinobi #52 SuperShinobi 2 years ago
    Great list, probably the best one I've yet seen, which manages to include pretty much all the key SNES games - even neglected but essential titles like U.N. Squadron and Mystical Ninja.

Some of the games I might perhaps add include Top Racer / Top Gear, Gradius 3, Super Tennis, Sunset Riders, Super Aleste and Super SWIW.
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #53 jeremy.parish 2 years ago
    @nathanhill99 Ah, yeah, I need to update some of these entries. A few things have been reissued since the last update.
    @SuperShinobi Thanks! The idea behind doing the year-by-year lookbacks is that the same games always show up in top 10/top 20 lists. This breaks things out and gives the less popular games room to breathe. Be sure to check out our NES list as well!
    1993 was an absolutely tremendous year for games. The Super NES hitting full strength. Arcades still going full blast. Gaming magazines swelling in size practically every month with lots of screenshots, import reviews, rumors, tricks, and, uh, really-bad-in-retrospect advertisements. The growing popularity of CD add-ons and tantalizing rumors of unbelievably powerful next gen systems made it feel like things were only going to go up and up and up. Beautiful time to be a gamer.
    Are there slack notifications going off during the first video? Either that or I'm going crazy....
    The SNES is probably my favorite platform, even though my personal nostalgia window is more like 1996 - 2006. It's a mixture of the warm fuzzies, the excitement of improving technology allowing for so many new possibilities, the rapid growth of games as a creative medium (SoM and FFVI art kind of got me playing games) and the fact that it just has such a consistently rich library produced at a time when games were not quite mainstream and the differences between budgets weren't extreme. It doesn't hurt that even the longest SNES games are kinda short by modern standards. So yeah. ♥

(The Genesis/Mega Drive doesn't get nearly as much love anymore as it should, though. The SNES is firmly cemented as "Best Console of All Time" for nerds of a certain age, but SEGA platforms feel like they're slipping away, despite still selling well and stuff.)
    The SNES is my favorite system of all time. I still play it on occasion. It was such an amazing jump from the NES in look and gameplay. One of my favorite games is Looney Tunes B-Ball. I also liked NCAA Basketball and Street Fighter II. And does anybody remember a game where your character was a jelly bean with eyes? I can't remember the name of it!
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #58 jeremy.parish 2 years ago
    @scottrothman97 We weren't using Slack at the point at which that video was created, so you're probably just going crazy.
    @Snayllee You're thinking of either Putty or Smartball (also known as Jerry Boy). Check those games against Google and see which one is what you're thinking of!
    @Snayllee Here you go: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Ball
    @jeremy.parish Good to know, thanks!
    Thanks for the update!

To be honest, I thought 1993 was the weakest year for SNES (only Secret of Mana appeals to me). 1994 changed everything...
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #63 jeremy.parish 2 years ago
    @kantaroo3 To be honest, I agree. Lots of great games in ’93, but compared to the rest of the Super NES's life, it's pretty weak.
  • Avatar for TerryDonnyJrSr #64 TerryDonnyJrSr 2 years ago
    Greatest console ever and out of all the amazing games on the system I seem to return to Super off-road the most and also Top Gear(mostly for the soundtrack though)
    1993 was a bad year for Super NES owners. It's weird to see a period smack in the middle of the system's lifespan when the software line-up is as sparse as a typical year for the N64!

I think Nintendo didn't take enough risks localizing Super NES games because the carts were more expensive to manufacture than any other game format at the time that didn't have the words "Neo" or "Geo" in the name, and the Super Famicom was dominating the Japanese market so well that most companies were reluctant to waste development resources localizing games. Plus, they were still making games for NES and Gameboy (although there weren't many releases besides Kirby's Adventure, Link's Awakening, and Kirby's Pinball Land) and Nintendo was spending a ton of R&D time on the Super NES CD-ROM, the Super FX Chip, Project Reality, and probably the Virtual Boy and Satellaview.

I was a Super NES owner in 1993 and I knew the other game systems were getting better games:
    Turbo Duo had Lords of Thunder, Cotton, Bonk 3, Dungeon Explorer II, Dynastic Hero, and Super Air Zonk, giving us one more year of good support in the US before they outright told fans "you should just start importing our games."
    Sega CD had Sonic CD, Lunar, Robo Aleste, Road Avenger, Silpheed, and Final Fight CD.
    The Genesis had Gunstar Heroes, Shinobi III, Shining Force, Rocket Knight Adventures, Tiny Toon Adventures, Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine, Ranger X, McDonald’s Treasureland Adventure, Rolling Thunder 3, Splatterhouse 3, and a lot of the games listed here as the best on Super NES in 1993.
    If you like fighting games, you'd probably even say the Neo-Geo had a better 1993 line-up than the Super NES with Samurai Shodown and Fatal Fury 2 / Special.

I think most people would agree Nintendo pulled it together for 1994; I'm looking forward to US Gamer's top 10 list for that year. Hopefully the big hitters like Final Fantasy VI, Mega Man X, and Super Metroid can still leave room for games like Illusion of Gaia, Sparkster, Super Punch-Out, and Demon's Crest. (Maybe we'll even see some love for R-Type III, Skyblazer, and Firestriker? You could leave out Donkey Kong Country, Earthworm Jim, and Uniracers to make room for a weird Breakout/pinball/RPG/party game, right?)
    F-Zero! This game packaged with my Snes. I must have been around 4-5 when we got the system with F-Zero and Aladdin. Even my dad played the heck out of this game, which gave his elbows a workout. Does anyone else remember when people rotated the controller like a steering wheel and jerked their shoulders on sharp turns? So many memories with this one. Samurai Goroh forever.
    Secret of Mana. I did not play this game when it came out in 1993. I did buy it on Virtual Console for the Wii. Other than the music and art, I do not understand the appeal of this game.

Characters have to cast spells to level up. So the action is constantly being interrupted by pausing and going into ring menus to cast spells and heal. If you have any AI controlled party members they get hung-up on geometry with terrible pathfinding. Secret of Mana is one classic for me that does not hold up.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors is pretty great though. Except for the hard as hell difficulty.
    wow, this was pretty cool, didn't know USgamer did videos. If only you guys would do a video podcast.
  • Avatar for brionfoulke91 #69 brionfoulke91 2 years ago
    Personally, NES is my favorite system of all time. I think it has an extremely strong library if you look at all of the high quality titles. To me, SNES's library has always been more quality over quantity. It has some absolute masterpieces like Zelda 3, Final Fantasies 4-6, Chrono Trigger, etc. But it has a lot of mediocre games too, and doesn't quite have the strong library that the NES has.

Nice to see Shadowrun on this list, because to me it's one of the best hidden gems on the SNES. That and Equinox.
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #70 WiIIyTheAntelope 2 years ago
    Why is Musya on this list? That game was awful and does not deserve to be mentioned alongside games like Street Fighter 2, Soul Blazer, and Link to the Past.
    I never realized that Illusion of Gaia or Skyblazers were never re-released. I guess I am pretty lucky to have owned both back in the day and played the crap out of both.

Granted at this point, I've got 20 years of nostalgia, but I remember Gaia having some amazing stages and locations that I still remember vividly. The sky aztec location was really quite amazing, the late game pyramid stage was really good, and some of the puzzles were really quite difficult to solve.

Gotta admit though, looking for all 50 red gems in Illusion of Gaia was infuriating as all hell.
    What a strong year '94 was. Mega Man X could've been my most anticipated game for years at that point - even since the SNES launched, I had wondered when it would get a Mega Man game. That seemed like the last great NES franchise to make the jump over - is there any explanation for why Capcom waited so long? Not that I'm complaining, of course it was worth the wait...

FF3 was a very pleasant surprise for me. I had enjoyed the original Final Fantasy and replayed the heck out of FF2, but by late '94 I had started to drift away from the SNES. I'd canceled my Nintendo Power subscription and just wasn't informed about upcoming games, so I wasn't aware of FF3 until I saw it on store shelves. It cost something like $80 and I hadn't bought a cartridge in months, but I had birthday money burning a hole in my pocket so I figured, "The previous ones were good, so I'll give it a shot." As everyone knows now, it was shockingly good - best gaming decision I've ever made.
    1994 was the year that SNES stood tall, no doubt about it. Super Metroid, DKC, FFIII, Mega Man X make for an amazing year.
    All those games still stand toe to toe with anything modern, and they all came out in 1994. A fantastic year.
    Thanks for the series by the way!
    Didn't the Super Game Boy come out in 1994 too? It should get an honourable mention; it was a peripheral, yes, but it gave access to hundreds of great games thereby contributing to an amazing 1994.
    I know it's not a popular game, but Stunt Race FX blew my mind in 1994. Way more than Donkey Kong Country ever did. Sure Star Fox was impressive a year earlier, but that game was still kinda faking it (3D objects on a flat surface). Stunt Race FX had actual threedimensional worlds. On a Super Nintendo! I'd never seen anything like it.

Yes, the framerate was horrible, but somehow I hardly noticed that in '94. Guess I was too busy racing across actual mountains and through underwater tunnels with fish swimming on the other side of the glass. (Again: on a Super Nintendo!). I keep hoping Nintendo will rerelease it with a smoother framerate, but I guess we'll never see any Super FX-games on virtual console.
    Ah, '94. Peak SNES.
    Original SF2 is still great, and essential no doubt, but Turbo surpassed it hands down.

Flashback and Mega Man X as with many cross-continent localizations really stretched it by folding into '94, and this was mere months after their original homeland releases. Definite progress from the NES days nonetheless.

Great picks on the whole. Love me some Axelay. Space Megaforce/Super Aleste deserves an honorable mention. Ditto R-Type III. Too bad it was removed from VC following Irem's closing.
    Good listing!!

__________________
    Juan
    @jeremy.parish Any chance of 1995 getting its own update? I've been waiting for this with baited breath, even though I can put together my own list.

Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Breath of Fire II (Ugh translation though) Killer Instinct, Metal Warriors (don’t even bother to try buying it) Ogre Battle (just buy the ps1 edition) Secret of Evermore (no it has nothing to do with Secret of Mana 2 not coming over) Super Adventure Island II, Yoshi’s Island, and Wild Guns. 1996 only has a few, including Lufia 2, the winner for most improved sequel, and Super Mario RPG. Maybe Terranigma if you’re lucky enough to have an Australian/UK copy with the ridiculously specific version of Pro Action replay (one of my few lucky purchases prior to the obscene retro game price market)
  • Avatar for guillermojiménez88 #80 guillermojiménez88 2 years ago
    @ironjoe99 I've been waiting for the 1995 update too. And I'd add Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest to the list, one of my favorite games of all time.

Comments