Animal Crossing New Horizons has a lot of fish to catch, but if you're willing to go searching in the mud you might be able to get a catfish. In this guide we'll show you how to catch a catfish and how many bells you can make off them.
On this page:
- How to Catch a Catfish in Animal Crossing New Horizons
- Catfish Shadow Size
- How Much Do Catfish Sell For?
How to Catch a Catfish in Animal Crossing New Horizons
To catch a catfish in Animal Crossing New Horizons, you need to make sure you're in the conditions and time frame in which they'll appear. Equip a fishing rod and follow these tips to catch a catfish for yourself.
- Catfish appear in May-October (in the Northern Hemisphere) and November-April (in the Southern Hemisphere). They do not appear outside of this time period.
- During this time of the year, catfish appear overnight, between 4:00 PM and 9:00 AM. There's no way to catch one during the day.
- They can only be caught in ponds, not in rivers or oceans.
- Catfish are pretty common. Once these conditions are met, it shouldn't take you long to catch one. If you're having trouble getting them to spawn, create some new ponds on your island with the Island Designer app, which you can unlock by following this guide.
Catfish Shadow Size
Catfish shadows are medium-sized, not especially small or large. That being said, most fish that spawn in ponds tend to have small shadows, so they should stick out when around.
We've been busy plugging away on a bunch more Animal Crossing New Horizons guides. You can find close to 100 guides right here on USG, and if you head to our AC: New Horizons Walkthrough you'll see them all in one handy place. From guides on the different kinds of buildings, to detailed breakdowns of how to catch specific bugs and fish, we've got you covered.
How Much Do Catfish Sell For?
Catfish sell for 800 bells when sold to Nook's Cranny, or 1200 when sold to CJ, a fairly decent price. Alternatively, if you're just trying to fill Blathers' Museum and aren't fussed about value, we can also show you how to get a frog from your ponds over here.
We're not catfishing anybody when we say we've got some of the best Animal Crossing content available here at USgamer. Enjoy Caty's ode to the May Day Maze here, or see how people have used Animal Crossing to protest over here.