Appearing in the middle of the year in Animal Crossing New Horizons, the diving beetle is a rare and unique insect for any collector. Below we'll show you how to catch a diving beetle and what you can do with those you catch.
On this page:
How to Catch a Diving Beetle in Animal Crossing New Horizons
You can catch a diving beetle by using a net, similar to any other bug. However, you need to go to a specific place and time to get one. Make sure you do the following to catch your own diving beetle:
- Diving beetles appear in the months May-September (Northern Hemisphere) and November-April (Southern Hemisphere). You can find other bugs and fish appearing at the same time here.
- They spawn on the surface of rivers and ponds.
- You have a chance to encounter them between the hours of 8:00 AM and 7:00 PM. They do not appear at night.
- Check the rivers and ponds in your own island until one appears. It should look like a rounded, green bug making swimming motions across the water's surface.
- When you find one, equip your net and approach the side of the water, as close as possible. When it's within reach, use your net to grab it.
How Much Do Diving Beetles Sell For?
You can sell diving beetles to Nook's Cranny for 800 bells each, a decent value for a relatively common insect. Of course, make sure that you've donated one to Blathers first, or wait for Flick to appear if you want to make 1200 bells instead. If you need any details on Flick and his schedule, you can check our guide here.
You should beetle about USG some more, try diving for some of our best Animal Crossing content! You can find the canon story on Flick and CJ's partnership here, or find out how Animal Crossing has impacted the Hong Kong protests.