If you want to catch all the fish in Animal Crossing New Horizons, then you'll have to catch the Mahi-Mahi, a huge multicolored fish. We'll show you here how to catch a Mahi-Mahi and how many bells you can make off them.
On this page:
- How to Catch a Mahi-Mahi in Animal Crossing New Horizons
- Mahi-Mahi Shadow Size
- How Much Do Mahi-Mahi Sell For?
How to Catch a Mahi-Mahi in Animal Crossing New Horizons
To catch a Mahi-Mahi in Animal Crossing New Horizons, equip a fishing rod and as much fish bait as you can get ahold of, then go fishing with all this in mind:
- You can catch Mahi-Mahi in the months of May to October (in the Northern Hemisphere) or November to April (in the Southern Hemisphere)
- Mahi-Mahi aren't limited to a specific time of day, so they can be caught at any time within the bracket mentioned above.
- They can only be caught off the pier on your island, not in rivers, ponds or from the beach.
- Mahi-Mahi are incredibly rare, even when following the parameters above. Don't expect to find one for a long time, and if you're hunting for them specifically, bring at least 20 packets of fish bait for any kind of real chance. If you come across a strange seagull while exploring the beach, we've explained what to do here.
Mahi-Mahi Shadow Size
Mahi-Mahi have large shadows, one of the biggest in the game. Don't bother trying to catch anything less than huge, as they're not going to be this six-foot fish.
We've been busy plugging away on a bunch more Animal Crossing New Horizons guides. You can find close to 100 guides right here on USG, and if you head to our AC: New Horizons Walkthrough you'll see them all in one handy place. From guides on the different kinds of buildings, to detailed breakdowns of how to catch specific bugs and fish, we've got you covered.
How Much Do Mahi-Mahi Sell For?
As befits their rarity, Mahi-Mahi are pretty valuable, and will sell for 6000 bells to Nook's Cranny, or even 9000 bells to CJ. Problem is that their rarity makes them impossible to farm; you'd be unlikely to catch more than one in a single day without putting in hours of work. Of you want to catch something easier that's still valuable, we recommend the simple Betta fish, which you can find out how to catch here.
While waiting for the fish to bite, why not peruse some of our Animal Crossing content? See Hirun's story on how Animal Crossing is coming to desktop browsers here, or how the Tiger King is inspiring strange new designs for people's islands.