One of the available insects you can catch in Animal Crossing New Horizons is the pondskater, a thin bug that drifts on the surface of water. We'll explain how to catch a pondskater and what you can do with the ones you catch.
On this page:
How to Catch a Pondskater in Animal Crossing New Horizons
To catch a pondskater in Animal Crossing New Horizons, you'll need to have a net equipped, as you would with any other insect. Once you have one, make sure the following conditions are met:
- Pondskaters show up on your island in May-September (Northern Hemisphere) and November-March (Southern Hemisphere).
- Pondskaters will spawn on the surface of rivers and ponds.
- They can shop up at any point between 8:00 AM and 7:00 PM. They do not appear at night.
- You'll see them on ponds and rivers. They won't be shadows under the water, but visible insects skimming across the surface.
- You can grab one by swinging your net at it when it moves close enough, snatching it out of the water. This can take a little time - they don't always come close to the shore and tend to bounce around randomly. Be patient and wait for it to come to you.
How Much Do Pondskaters Sell For?
Pondskaters are worth only 130 bells each, not very much when compared to the effort required to catch one. We don't recommend farming for these, instead suggesting you spend your time catching something like the diving beetle, which you can find details on here. Alternatively, if you want to know what other bugs and fish are available, we've got that outlined at this guide here.
Animal Crossing lovers can find all sorts of great content waiting for them here at USG. You can check out Caty's story on the lengths people will go to when it comes to protecting their turnips, or enjoy Eric's piece on the newest island designs inspired by Jolly Redd.