While there's all manner of insects just crawling around in Animal Crossing New Horizons, finding something as simple as an ant can prove surprisingly difficult. We've outlined here how to catch an ant and what you'll need to make them appear.
On this page:
How to Catch Ants in Animal Crossing New Horizons
Ants are different because they require a very specific trick to draw them out. In this case they won't spawn randomly at certain times or places, instead appearing in the presence of Rotten Turnips (you can find our full turnip guide here). To catch an ant, do as follows:
- Buy turnips from Daisy Mae on Sunday morning when she appears on your island.
- Keep at least one turnip until the following Sunday, that is, for one week or more.
- The turnip will rot at this point, whether in your inventory or placed on the ground. It won't disappear, but it will change into a rotten turnip item and lose all its value as a commodity.
- Take the rotten turnip outside and leave it on the ground. Then walk away.
- Return to the turnip periodically. Eventually you should see ants crawling up to it.
- Approach with your net and hit the ants with it. You'll catch one!
How Much Are Ants Worth?
Ants are worth 80 bells each, and while that isn't great, it's made even worse by the fact that you'll have to waste perfectly good turnips trying to get them. If you missed the opportunity to sell your turnips and they rotted anyway, you might as well lure in some ants to try and make up for the loss a little, but you should never trade in turnips for ants beyond that first catch for Blathers' museum.
If you want all manner of Animal Crossing content, USgamer is here to oblige. We've got Caty's review of New Horizons for you to enjoy right here, or check this link to see how people are reflected in the islands they make.