One of the many ways you can customize your island in Animal Crossing New Horizons is to use real-world amiibo to enhance your experience and unlock new in-game rewards. Here we'll cover all compatible amiibo in New Horizons and how to use them.
On this page:
- How to Use Amiibo in Animal Crossing New Horizons
- How to Use Amiibo at Harv's Island
- What Amiibo Can I Use?
- What Rewards Do You Get From Amiibo?
How to Use Amiibo in Animal Crossing New Horizons
Animal Crossing New Horizons offers ways for players to use amiibo to add new visitors and items to their island. We'll cover the full list of amiibo and what they do below, but if you have one and don't want its functionality spoiled, just do the following:
- Go to the Nook Stop terminal in the Town Hall
- Select the penultimate option, "Invite a Camper"
- Hold up the amiibo or amiibo card to the NFC touchpoint on the right thumbstick of your controller when indicated
- Hold it there until the game registers it
- Depending on the amiibo, the game will inform you of any changes or rewards that you can now collect.
How to Use Amiibo at Harv's Island
Amiibo can also be used at Harv's island to introduce NPC characters for photoshoots, allowing them to take part and pose in the photographs. When inside the photo room and in edit mode, simply apply the amiibo to the NFC touchpoint at any time to make the character appear in a nearby square.
What Amiibo Can I Use?
There are numerous amiibo and amiibo cards that can be used with New Horizons, but only those that are associated with Animal Crossing characters. This means that Little Mac will have to be as useless as ever, unfortunately. Instead, the full list of amiibo that you can use are as follows:
- Animal Crossing Amiibo Cards (Series 1 to 4)
- Animal Crossing amiibo figures
- Super Smash Bros. Isabelle amiibo figure
- Super Smash Bros. Villager amiibo figure
- Animal Crossing New Leaf Welcome amiibos
- Animal Crossing Sanrio Collaboration Pack amiibo cards
What Rewards Do You Get From Amiibo?
The way the game is altered depends on the amiibo itself, as some have greater use than others. You can find the full list of compatible amiibos, which numbers into the hundreds, over here at the official site.
The biggest use is that many amiibos can have the corresponding character show up in your Campsite, allowing you then to invite them to live on your island. This doesn't apply to all amiibo though, and special characters such as Isabelle or KK Slider tend to be the exception, sadly. However, you can still invite them to your photoshoots, as mentioned above, and you can also unlock special posters of those characters by scanning them, which will then be available to buy at the Nook Stop shopping section for 1000 bells each.
To make things easier, we've broken down the various series of Animal Crossing Amiibo below to tell you what they're collectively capable of and how they change the game. Remember to use the above link to see where you can get these amiibo and what they look like.
|Animal Crossing Amiibo Cards (Series 1 to 4)||Yes (except special characters, i.e., Isabelle)||Yes||Yes|
|Animal Crossing amiibo figures||No||Yes||Yes|
|Super Smash Bros. Isabelle amiibo figure||No||Yes||Yes|
|Super Smash Bros. Villager amiibo figure||No||Yes||No|
|Animal Crossing New Leaf Welcome amiibos||No||Yes||Yes|
|Animal Crossing Sanrio Collaboration Pack amiibo cards||No||Yes||No|
If that was of use to you, the best thing you can do now is read some more great Animal Crossing content! We've got Caty's review of New Horizons over here, or see how it hit record sales numbers right here.