Former ArenaNet Writer Says She Had No Chance to Argue Her Case Before Firing

A report from Polygon includes new details about last week's ArenaNet controversy.

News by Caty McCarthy, .

In the middle of last week, a series of firings shook the industry. ArenaNet, the company behind the popular MMO Guild Wars 2, let go two of its writers after a heated exchange on Twitter. Jessica Price, one of the writers, along with Peter Fries, who defended Price on Twitter, were fired from their jobs, drawing ire and celebration in equal measure from opposite ends of the industry and wider Guild Wars 2 community.

In a new interview with Polygon, Price describes what immediately followed the incident, including the meeting that led to her firing. "I was given no opportunity to argue my case,” Price told the site. “My manager was on vacation. [ArenaNet president Mike O’Brien] spent some time insisting that developers must be friends with the company’s customers, and that it was unacceptable to say that we aren’t, even when we’re not on the clock. He told me I’d look back and regret this, because we were doing great work and I’d ruined it."

Price called the meeting "highly unprofessional," as she felt positioned as a vehicle for O'Brien to "vent his anger" before she was promptly fired, emptied her desk, and returned her key card to HR. It's a far cry from what Price recalled working for ArenaNet up to that point had been like, citing her hiring interview where ArenaNet "respected [her] willingness to speak up on issues in the industry and had no desire to muzzle [her]." But after last week's tweets detailing the differences between writing for an MMO compared to a linear, narrative game, and a popular Guild Wars 2 streamer Deroir publicly disagreed with her, things got hairy.

"I had, in my time there, zero warnings about my social media use," Price told Polygon. "Everything I said on Twitter [last week] was consistent with what I’ve been saying for years and how I’ve been saying it." Price went on to note that after O'Brien fired her and her colleague, former co-workers and other industry colleagues have been contacting her to let her know how "afraid this has made them." For Price and many others, it's shaping as a possible terrifying precedent: where Reddit and other communities can mobilize against anyone they don't like, effectively tone-policing and costing jobs. Or as Price said in an interview with The Verge last week, "The message is very clear, especially to women at the company: if Reddit wants you fired, we’ll fire you."

O'Brien also provided an expanded statement from ArenaNet's last week, which you can read in its entirety on Polygon. "Jessica had identified herself as an ArenaNet employee on Reddit and Twitter, had been discussing Episode 3 storytelling with fans on Reddit, then had written a 25-part tweet about how we tell stories in MMOs, relating it back to Episode 3. She was representing the company. The expectation was to behave professionally and respectfully, or at least walk away. Instead, she attacked," O'Brien's statement begins.

"We’ve all dedicated our careers to entertaining people, to making games for the purpose of delighting those who play them. We generally have a wonderful relationship with our community, and that’s a point of pride for us. We want to hear from our players. It’s not acceptable that an attempted interaction with our company—in this case a polite game suggestion—would be met with open hostility and derision from us. That sets a chilling precedent."

O'Brien goes on to praise the work of Jessica and Peter on Guild Wars 2, citing one "wonderfully well-executed scene" from Episode 1, and wishes them the best in their future endeavors. While Price doesn't regret her actions, as she's always been vocal on Twitter, she does believe she could have reeled in saying "asshat" into something more like "condescending jerk."

The firings have been a hot button issue since last week, with Vlambeer's Rami Ismail, 80 Days writer Meg Jayanth, Night in the Woods developer Scott Benson being among those to condemn ArenaNet for the handling of the situation. It's proving to be another flashpoint in the neverending culture war that's enveloped gaming over the years.

"While Price doesn't regret her actions, as she's always been vocal on Twitter, she does believe she could have reeled in saying "asshat" into something more like "condescending jerk.""

So if she had her time back, she still would have acted hostile and unreasonable and still would have been fired. Cool. Cool cool cool.
    Nice to know that the president is not only that garbage, but that he's also willing to completely downplay her contributions for an entire season of content down to "one scene from one episode." What a shitlord.

Jess makes it pretty clear on her twitter bio that she doesn't suffer fools, they knew this about her from the get-go. And yet, no warnings, no nothing, just cut loose. It's definitely a terrible precedent for the industry, and just another sign of how toxic things are getting because of a vocal minority of fandoms.
    I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, women definitely have it a lot worse in the games industry than men do. There are a lot of assholes out there who will rally together a bunch of like-minded shitheads to ruin your day, career, or even your life just for being a woman with opinions or within 50 feet of a game that was altered in localization.

But on the other hand, Price kinda blew up a bit there. Yes, I get that it's her personal account, and yes, I definitely get that people don't like being told how to do their job, but you know, maybe don't go on a tirade about "rando asshats" because some people have slightly different opinions on writing?

Like, I don't know who else joined the thread, but far as I know the initial post wasn't a Goofy Goober threatening to kill her and all her dogs. It was just somebody with slightly different opinions on MMORPG writing who was trying to engage in friendly conversation. And even if it is her off-the-clock page she was still talking about her job, and when your job is (was) writing for an online game and you respond to non-threatening posts with hostility that's definitely going to get back to the boss.

Still, I think firing her was going a little too far. If anything she should've been let off with a warning first.Edited 2 weeks ago by MetManMas
    @Ohoni I think a few like Colin and Caty will try to push this as a "chilling trend in our industry where people are fired for being unapologetically nasty and rude." But most won't. Most understand that general kindness is a desirable quality in an employee, and that mature adults (and amazingly enough most children) see the benefit of apologizing when they do something wrong. Heck, I find it amazing that the "professional" feels no need to apologize after being abusive and antagonizing, but the "asshat" felt perfectly comfortable apologizing for initiating a dialog in a kind and respectful way.
  • Avatar for Iliya-Moroumetz #5 Iliya-Moroumetz 9 days ago
    @MyNameIsMe Except that there was no reason for her to apologize in the first place. Mr. Youtuber was, most likely, the latest in a LONG line of guys who thought they could tell her how to do her job, despite her having over a decade of experience but that evidently doesn't count. And no, condescension is still condescending, no matter how nicely you dress it up.
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #6 WiIIyTheAntelope 9 days ago
    She was an asshole to their customers for no reason. Any other person, in any job would be fired for throwing a tantrum at customers like that.

It's been all too entertaining watching the usual suspects like polygon, rps, and kotaku downplay it as her having done absolutely nothing wrong though. They seriously don't get why nobody believes a word they say anymore.

@Iliya-Moroumetz there was absolutely nothing condescending about what Deroir said in any of his posts. He was simply trying to engage her in conversation. btw, he does have a degree in game narrative design, so her being far more qualified to talk about it than him is debatable at best.Edited 2 times. Last edited 2 weeks ago by WiIIyTheAntelope
  • Avatar for Iliya-Moroumetz #7 Iliya-Moroumetz 9 days ago
    @WiIIyTheAntelope Just because you don't see anything wrong in his actions, doesn't mean it was non-existent. If you can't, or don't want, to see why she was upset in the first place, then we have nothing to talk about.
    @Iliya-Moroumetz
    A video showed up after this incident, that was taken before the tweet exchange, where you can see this guy praising Jessica's work and expressing how much of a fan he is.

So... just because you want to see something wrong in someone's action, doesn't mean there is. If you want to practice the concept of guilty until proven innocent, then we have nothing to talk about.
    Goes both ways.

Let me know if you never commented on a movie, on a tv show, on a game, or anything in your life to anyone without ever having proper expertise.
    Because if you ever did, by your own definition you're condescending. We all are.

Also, definition of sexism:
    Sexism is prejudice or discrimination based on a person's sex or gender.
    One person here had a prejudice based on the other's gender. But it's not always the guy.Edited 2 weeks ago by deinicks22
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #9 WiIIyTheAntelope 9 days ago
    @Iliya-Moroumetz Her having a victimhood mentality has nothing to do with Deroir. That's not his problem, it's hers.

You seem like you'd be much happier at resetera where everyone who doesn't follow the approved opinion is immediately banned.
    Never ever supporting this company. Bunch of scumbags.
  • Avatar for Iliya-Moroumetz #11 Iliya-Moroumetz 9 days ago
    @deinicks22 If I had the chance to speak to someone about a movie I liked, but had issues with, I would comment after, and ONLY after, they asked me for feedback. Otherwise, I wouldn't bring it up because it's rude. (A hard concept for you to grasp, I know.) This youtube yuppie was not asked for his opinion. Therefore, he's an idiot that deserved the answer he got. No matter how 'polite' his observation was.

Sexism also holds no respect for boundaries. Said yuppie clearly did not respect her boundaries, nor her experience as an actual developer. Otherwise, he would have never brought it up in the first place because he wasn't asked!
    @willytheantelope Victimhood mentality? Let me guess, it's all about 'ethics in games journalism', right? And it's his problem when he butts into a thread that has nothing to do with him and expects an answer when he's trying to make himself look smarter than someone with over a decade of experience, while he's got jack squat.
    Did this woman act abrasively on social media? Yeah
    Did she have every right to behave that way on her own Twitter account? Yeah
    Is it completely shitty of the company to fire this woman because of this (and outside pressure)? Oh hell yeah
    Is it totally predictable the way men on the internet feel the need to side against this poor woman? Sadly, also yeah
    She insulted and accused of sexism and misogyny a perfectly polite customer. In any field of work that would get you fired. Obviously has issues and I'm not surprised they wouldn't want to be associated with her.Edited 2 times. Last edited 2 weeks ago by Fourfoldroot
    @Ohoni Not only is your example of this hypothetical man's response worse than what Price wrote (I'm guessing you did this to prove some point?), you are drawing an equivalence between a woman disparaging a man and a man disparaging a woman. I'm no longer even commenting on the Price business, but maybe you should reevaluate things. Do you understand that cultural context is a thing that matters when humans interact with each other? That women have been systematically oppressed for centuries in western culture? Never ever start an argument with "well if it was a man..." because that shit holds no water. Take a different tact.
    @Ohoni Yeah, that is exactly what you shouldn't do. Flipping genders/races is going to destroy any context and generally give nonsense results that skew towards your own personal bias. Try actually understanding why a person of that nature would react the way that they did and then, once you develop that empathic connection, reassess.
    @yuberus i work at ArenaNet. She was already in big trouble for harassing TotalBiscuit's suicidal wife and encouraging her to commit suicide.
    @Iliya-Moroumetz she told TotalBiscuit's wife to kill herself.
    @Iliya-Moroumetz she told TotalBiscuit's wife to kill herself.
    @Iliya-Moroumetz she told TotalBiscuit's wife to kill herself.
    @Iliya-Moroumetz she told TotalBiscuit's wife to commit suicide.
    @Ohoni I want to agree with several of your points on principle, but is not quite that simple.

Many people who have been mistreated their entire life inevitably become over-deffensive, antisocial or extremely abrasive in response to all the mistreatment. Even more so if the mistreatment is due to a condition they don't have control over (gender, race, sexual orientation, etc.). You get attacked all the time for your condition, you eventually start seeing even the most innocuous things as an aggression. So, in that sense at least I can understand why she reacted in such a rude manner.

That being said, while I can understand the reason for her reaction, I can't really condone her actions because the fact remains that she acted improperly and unprofessionally, so she deserved some kind of sanction. Although I do think being fired inmediately without the chance to appeal is kind of extreme, unless that commenter above is telling the truth and this was only the last of other serious infractions.
  • Avatar for JamesSwiftDay #22 JamesSwiftDay 9 days ago
    This stuff happens all the time, and not just in gaming.

I was fired from my role at, shall we call them, the one console maker out of the big three that is American, ostensibly for one E3 prediction on Twitter. Another employee noticed this tweet, of all of my tweets and reported it to some higher up.

Suddenly I was on the company's radar for potentially being troublesome (I guess) and they then dug back through my internet history (bearing in mind they knew I was still doing part-time game journalism) and found enough stuff they didn't like to axe me.

They fired me in the most cowardly way by calling me to meet someone from the contract agency in reception and then he gave me the news. They removed all my stuff for me and I did not see my manager or colleagues or get to argue my case.

So yeah, even supposedly well-respected companies can pull this crap on employees, especially contractors. Part of the problem is that companies need to be more clear from the outset what they allow employees to say and do on social media. Workers rights probably need to be reformed or at least refined over social media usage.
  • Avatar for JamesSwiftDay #23 JamesSwiftDay 9 days ago
    @daveraynor89 Has this been reported in any of the news coverage? If she was already doing troublesome stuff then it would definitely change the narrative on the firing.
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #24 WiIIyTheAntelope 9 days ago
    @Iliya-Moroumetz No my friend. It's about reality. One look at her twitter feed will tell you that she sees herself as a perennial victim. Funny thing about twitter..people commenting on posts made by others is THE ENTIRE FREAKING POINT OF TWITTER. If she doesn't want people to comment on her posts, then there's a little checkbox in her options that make her account private.

I bet you had no issue with it when Adam Orth got canned from Microsoft for much the same reason.

By the way, since you commented on a post Caty wrote, without her express permission that you could do so, by your own standards, that makes you an evil woman hater.Edited 2 weeks ago by WiIIyTheAntelope
    @daveraynor89 I mean I've only seen her express zero sympathy for his death because he was a gater and she (and her friends) were/are harassed by those people. Nothing about his wife. And frankly, it's an understandable position to not feel bad when someone who was shitty to you and your friends passes away. I assume you can't back up this claim beyond just repeating it to everyone in the comments, so...
  • Avatar for JamesSwiftDay #26 JamesSwiftDay 9 days ago
    @Ohoni where does that tweet tell TB's widow to commit suicide...?
    duplicate postEdited 2 weeks ago by MyNameIsMe
    Deleted 2 weeks ago by MyNameIsMe
    Deleted 2 weeks ago by MyNameIsMe
    Sorry, for whatever reason my same comment got posted five times, so I deleted the other ones.Edited 4 times. Last edited 2 weeks ago by MyNameIsMe
    @Iliya-Moroumetz I guess the nicest thing I can say to your comment is that I hope you're basing your responses solely on these articles and not on the actual tweets that were written. I have worked for 16 years and spent my entire life savings helping the abused and marginalized. For ten years I did this work in high-risk areas in developing countries. So I say this sincerely and with a fair bit of experience on the topic: I hope you and the writers behind these pieces find better ways to fight for what you say you are fighting for. I hope you find better people and better situations to stand behind. Because what I see is a group of people strengthening the fight to protect bad behavior, while simultaneously weakening the fight to protect and defend victims of sexism and abuse.
  • Avatar for ericspratling56 #32 ericspratling56 9 days ago
    How much of a chance to "argue your case" SHOULD you be given if you go around insulting your company's customers and business partners on a public forum?
  • Avatar for ericspratling56 #33 ericspratling56 9 days ago
    Jennifer Price seems to be a pretty clear-cut example of a certain type of Very Online person who is absolutely determined to be toxic & nasty, and to filter everything through one type of lens. She probably also exclaims "ugh, just LOOK at what women have to put up with!" when, e.g., her fast food order is wrong or it rains.
    @Iliya-Moroumetz Sincere question, not trying to be a dick: does a twitter response inherently differ from say, film criticism? When a film critic criticizes an aspect of the movie, the director typically doesn't say "they shouldn't tell me how to do my job". Even a Scorsese who's been working for 4+ decades doesn't get perfect scores on RT. Nor do critics who disliked his movie say "He obviously knows more about making movies than me. I must be wrong." I know I'm comparing ideas to art here, but I think it still fits.

Perhaps a more apt example - how do we deal with someone like Jordan Peterson? He's got a doctorate in psychology and 20+ years of teaching and research under his belt. Does this mean the rest of us should not respond to his sexism and transphobia, out of respect for his experience? Obviously his ideas are harmful where Price's game design philosophy is not, but I'm not sure that's inherently reason to apply different standards.

(I realize that I used two male examples above, but I think the same things would apply to folks Greta Gerwig and Sarah Sanders. If my premises above are flawed, I'm sincerely interested in understanding why, if you still have the time and patience for internet randoms like me.)

• Avatar for Iliya-Moroumetz #37 Iliya-Moroumetz 9 days ago
    @JamesSwiftDay Not really. All she said was "I'm glad he can't hurt anyone anymore." Just because Toilet Biscuit's dead doesn't mean his legacy of shitiness doesn't live on after him. Remember, he was a gamergate spokesman and even after he disavowed them, he did nothing to repair the damage he caused. Among his other many indiscretions, the last thing I heard about him was that he forced a trans woman off of twitter because he was angry. What a great way to leave your mark on the world; being a bigot towards minorities. He was an awful person and being dead in no way absolves him.

@MyNameIsMe The only bad behavior was O'Brien folding under the crying of a hate mob. You don't know what it was like to be her in all her years in game dev. And how the hell does you working in developing countries relate to ANYTHING here? Giving you some kind of made up moral higher ground? Completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
    @WiIIyTheAntelope Nope. She didn't ask for feedback in any way, shape, or form. Therefore, he was still butting in on a conversation that he had no right to be in. There is an extreme difference between the difficulties of narrative design in game dev and a clueless exec who doesn't think rural areas are worth investing in for internet games. Finally, I agree with Caty that Price was treated unfairly. I am in no way telling her how to write the article. What the hell are you smoking?
    @turntSNACO Yes, it does. Because critics are often for public consumption at large. Like Siskel and Ebert were. They weren't always right, but you could take it or leave it. And most importantly, it was a one-sided conversation. They can critique movies and the ones responsible are not immediately faced with the critique unless they are looking for it. Twitter is quite different that some rando can force his way into your mentions and tell you you're wrong, even though they have no experience with something you've been doing for years.

Also, I don't think making movies and games are a 1:1 ratio when it comes to what goes into them.

Peterson seems like the kind of person that, unlike Price, actually had the backing of colleagues and more influential figures that kept him in his position for as long as he had. Look at Woody Allen. He still gets work despite being a sexually assaulting pedophile.

Sanders works for, and defends, an administration that separates and jails children from their parents. So, it's safe to say they are not even remotely in the same ballpark.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #39 donkeyintheforest 8 days ago
    From what I can tell, she should def not have been fired. She reacted like a jerk, but shes a writer talking about her technique, not customer service. I don't really use Twitter, but from what I gather it's not like there is a big expectation of a friendly atmosphere on there.

Unless there was something else going on behind the scenes this seems ridic to me. Sure, make her take the company's name off of her twitter bio and tell her not to mention them by name in her personal tweets. That seems reasonable.

I guess if that was already the policy and she broke it, it's punishable by firing, but man that's harsh.
  • Avatar for Iliya-Moroumetz #40 Iliya-Moroumetz 8 days ago
    @Ohoni No, it wasn't. By your logic, you and a friend could be talking in the park, and some stranger can just jump in on your conversation and demand your attention. It's gross and creepy. And no, polite language doesn't give him the right to intrude.

Sure, he can respond, but that does not mean he's afforded any sort of civility when he has shown none in the first place.
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #41 WiIIyTheAntelope 8 days ago
    @Iliya-Moroumetz For one, I don't think you have even read the twitter thread, because you don't seem to know even the slightest bit about what you're talking about. She made a public post, it wasn't @ anyone. It wasn't a conversation between 2 friends, it was a public post, meant for the entire world to see.

And secondly, her twitter is public. If she didn't want people she doesn't know speaking to her, all she had to do is click that little button next to the private profile option. She has it set to public though because she enjoys getting the attention and imaginary internet points that come along with it.

Again, she is the one that was being a douche.

You post something publicly on the internet, then you're going to get feedback on it. And SHOCK HORROR, it may not always be feedback you like. That's reality. If you don't want to get feedback on something, then maybe stop and think twice before you click the post button.Edited 2 weeks ago by WiIIyTheAntelope
  • Avatar for Iliya-Moroumetz #42 Iliya-Moroumetz 8 days ago
    @WiIIyTheAntelope Just because you have a discussion in public does not mean anyone can add in their two cents, especially so if it's from some douche who has no idea what the hell you do!

I can't believe I actually have to repeat myself because either you have no idea how conversations work or you do not respect the boundaries of others' conversations at all just because it's 'out there'.
  • Avatar for Iliya-Moroumetz #43 Iliya-Moroumetz 8 days ago
    @Ohoni I'm not going to repeat myself, yet again, because you people just don't seem to, or want to, understand that there are boundaries that you don't cross when there are conversations others are having.

"How do you believe he could have been any more civil than he was?"

By keeping his fat gob shut and letting her do her job. Evidently, that was too hard for him.
  • Avatar for Iliya-Moroumetz #44 Iliya-Moroumetz 8 days ago
    @Ohoni Not really. He was a streamer. And even if he was helping promote the game, he had no room to do anything regarding development. It's his own damn fault she got mad at him. Why? Because he thought, even if he was being polite about it, that he was in position to give advice when it was never warranted. Ignorance is no excuse.

And now, Price gets fired because this dumbass whines to Reddit and now we've got more developers hesitant to even talk to people because of this. Good job, game industry. When it comes to disappointing, you never disappoint.
  • Avatar for Iliya-Moroumetz #45 Iliya-Moroumetz 8 days ago
    @Ohoni And yet, there seems to be no room for nuance or introspection in your world. She was also a target of gamergate harassment. And unless you yourself were in her shoes exactly, you cannot say she should have just 'gotten over it'.

But hey, she said mean things. She deserved to be fired. Where as guys like Hideki Kamiya and David Cage are still working when they have done similar and worse. Totally not suspicious.

And he may as well have whined to Reddit. Considering they're celebrating and bragging they can do whatever they want to people who say things they don't like. And, in case you're not aware, that could be anything with these people.

You're not going to convince me that Price deserved what she got because she's surrounded by awful people.
  • Avatar for Iliya-Moroumetz #46 Iliya-Moroumetz 8 days ago
    @Ohoni Given that you seemed to have completely ignored the part where she said what's-his-face was just the latest mansplaining tool, you don't get to say whether it's her fault or not.

Cage and Kamiya have done the same thing. However, they're still working. Just because you say it isn't relevant, doesn't mean it is. There is also a degree of sexism going on, but I doubt you want to admit it.

Some small number of yahoos that have made Price's former boss fire her because they, most likely, were already carrying a grudge against her. Kind of odd that you refuse to acknowledge that that is a bad thing. If they were irrelevant, Price wouldn't have gotten fired.

Well, her boss for one, who folded to these allegedly irrelevant yahoos that are, probably, harassing her twitter right now. He decided Arenanet's reputation to these horrible redditors was more important than the safety and well being of his own employees.

But hey, she was the unprofessional one because she didn't want to take any mansplaining from a guy who knew nothing about game development.
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #47 WiIIyTheAntelope 8 days ago
    @Iliya-Moroumetz You might actually be the silliest person I've ever come across. If the situation were a male developer being a complete dick to a female customer on twitter in the exact same manner, you'd be throwing a tantrum about that. And don't even bother pretending you wouldn't, because you would.

I get that you think you need to defend anybody with the same ideology as you, but when you defend the people with the same ideology as you, who just so happen to be shitty people, it defeats your purpose, and makes all the others look stupid by association. It's the people like you who make feminists such an easy target to mock.
  • Avatar for Iliya-Moroumetz #48 Iliya-Moroumetz 8 days ago
    @WiIIyTheAntelope Considering how obtuse you're being, you're in no position to talk.
    @Ohoni If you really are drawing the line at me using the term 'mansplaining' then we have nothing more to discuss.
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #49 WiIIyTheAntelope 8 days ago
    @Iliya-Moroumetz So what you're saying then is that you'd also defend a male developer who berates a female fan on twitter for no apparent reason?

Comments