Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a Straight-Up "Epic RPG Experience" Now as Ubisoft Reveals Release Date

Going full Witcher.

News by Kat Bailey, .

Assassin's Creed Origins bore more than a few similarities to Witcher 3. With Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which Ubisoft showed for the first time at E3 2018, Ubisoft is now just straight-up calling the series an RPG.

The transition to "roleplaying genre" brings with it multiplayer protagonists—Alexios and Kassandra—as well as dialogue choices. "Assassin's Creed Odyssey is more than an adventure. It truly is a roleplaying journey," creative director Jonathan Dumont said.

As expected, it will be set during the Peloponnesia War, building on the changes introduced in the well-received Assassin's Creed Origins. Notably, it's a prequel set 400 years before Origins, so the main characters aren't actually assassins. This is seemingly how it all begins.

In addition to the trailer, Ubisoft showed a lengthy gameplay sequence featuring Kassandra. You can watch it here.

This being the Peloponnesian War, expect lots of references to movies like 300. Xerxes, leader of the Persian Empire, will no doubt be one of the story's main villains.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey will be out October 5, putting it head-to-head with Black Ops 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2. Lots of luck to Ubisoft in that release slot.

Stay tuned as for recap of Ubisoft's press conference. You can find all of our E3 2018 coverage here.

There are going to be things I want to know about this game when it releases, because I do not enjoy Assassin's Creed. But I'd love a BioWare style RPG even if it's AC.

So I'd like to know if the open world design improves, if combat has greater depth to it, can the narrative be influenced by choices to a greater extent, can you determine the actions of your character or is it an illusion of choice, etc.

I'll have to keep an eye out during reviews to see if this is more of the step up I'd like to see from this franchise.
    @NiceGuyNeon Pretty much my thoughts exactly... this does sound like the sort of game I'd be interested in, but it's going to take some convincing that they've really left behind the legacy of the series. It took a while for me to get it through my head that "Ubisoft open-world" is just never a genre that I enjoy, but once I got the message, I drew a pretty hard line.
    I've never enjoyed an AC game but this is probably different enough to get me in! Peloponnesian war is a fantastic setting.
    @DogNozzle Agreed. I really thought I hated open world games after playing Assassin's Creed and Far Cry, then I ended up playing Breath of the Wild and Witcher 3 within like 8 months of each other and I realized it's not necessarily open world games I have a problem with, but Ubisoft games.
    Maybe Xerxes will show up in the game, but he fought in one of the Persian wars, not the Peloponnesian.
    Here we go, off the roofs
    Doncha know its time to stamp our hooves
    It's murder like you never knew...
    I wanted to be sold on this, but it still looks too Assassin's Creed-y to me.

Comments