Axe of the Blood God Episode 8: A Newcomer's Perspective on Dark Souls

Mike joins Kat to share his perspective as a newcomer on Dark Souls II, and Grinding Gear Games' Jonathan Rogers breaks down the new Path of Exile expansion.

Column by Kat Bailey, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey. You can find the show notes for previous episodes here.

In this week's episode of Axe of the Blood God (download link here), Mike shares his perspective as a relative newcomer to Dark Souls. Is he a fan? Join in for his thoughts on Dark Souls, Dragon Age, and Daredevil. Yeah, this episode is kind of all over the place.

I'll say that it's interesting listening to the thoughts of someone experiencing Dark Souls for the first time. Not to sound like a hipster about it, but I first came upon the Souls games when they were still relatively unknown, so they were a pleasant surprise for me. These days the hype is so great, the expectations so huge, that the backlash practically feels inevitable.

Also joining me this week is Grinding Gear Games' Jonathan Rogers, who goes into detail about the latest expansion for his Diablo alternative — Path of Exile. Having actually forgotten about Path of Exile myself, I'm delighted to be reminded about it so that I can jump back in and see how it's progressed over the past couple years, especially now that I have a computer that can actually play it. In the meantime, we go over the expansion's key additions, the design of Path of Exile's unique skill tree, and the nitty gritty of what separates it from other action RPGs.

When you're finished listening to the show, we'd love to hear your thoughts. If you want to talk about Dark Souls II, Path of Exile, or just RPGs in general, drop a line in the comments below. Conversely, you can reach me at kat.bailey@usgamer.net. We may read and discuss comments we like in an upcoming episode of Axe of the Blood God.

If you enjoy the show, you can find Axe of the Blood God on iTunes by following this link. Please subscribe, rate, and review the show! The more we're rated, the more visible we'll become. If you don't like us, then... er... don't do anything!

Our RSS feed is here: http://bloodgodpod.libsyn.com/rss. We're also on Soundcloud along with Retronauts and our flagship podcast From US to You.

Show Description

Mike Williams joins Kat to share his perspective on Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin as a relative newcomer to the series, as well as his thoughts on Dragon Age and Netflix's Daredevil. Then, Jonathan Rogers joins Kat to discuss Path of Exile's newly-announced expansion pack..

• Avatar for christopherhughes97 #1 christopherhughes97 3 years ago
    Is there not a direct download link this week, or am I just missing it?
    @christopherhughes97 I think this is the Libsyn direct download link.

Looking forward to Mike's first Blood God appearance! Not much to say yet, I just wanted to post something to help outnumber the bots. Ironically.
    Mike's right; Knight Enchanter breaks Dragon Age Inquisition. At high level, you can solo dragons without much of a problem.

It's too bad he wasn't a total convert Dark Souls, but I get it
    Just finished listening - it was viscerally immersive! Immersively visceral! But not immersed in viscera - Mortal Kombat is outside the scope of this show, thankfully.

The idea of playing a game "correctly" is interesting, and could support further discussion. When I was younger, I used to like going into games cold, as Mike was saying. I wanted to figure out everything on my own, and prided myself on rushing through the critical path as quickly as possible. Not anything crazy like speedrunning, but it was satisfying to be a bit underleveled against a boss and still pull out a win through trial-and-error tenacity. Putting off the plot for chocobo breeding and Tetra Master? Who needs 'em, that's not what I'm here for.

My perspective changed when I started playing RPGs with my girlfriend. She likes to get absolutely everything out of a game; every collectible and side quest. For example, she collected every Triple Triad card in FF8 and every trophy in Wind Waker - and she has no qualms with using a FAQ to do it.

Now I've gotten to be the same way. I'm almost always looking up guides and walkthroughs before I dive into a new game, especially when I need to consider options for character and party builds or come up with a plan for how I want my characters to develop. Part of me still feels like that's cheating; I'm not really playing the game "right," and that ruins a bit of the surprise and the challenge. But as Mike said, time is limited, and using guides helps me see more of the game content without a lot of flailing around.
    Really enjoyed this, nice to hear your views on DS. Not everyone has to like it, after all (though I do!).
    Is there not a direct download link this week, or am I just missing it? I used to like going into games cold, as Mike was saying. I wanted to figure out everything on my own, and prided myself on rushing through the assistir jogos online critical path as quickly as possible. Not anything crazy like speedrunning, but it was satisfying to be a bit underleveled against jogos psn plus maio 2016 a boss and still pull out a win through trial-and-error tenacity. Putting off the plot for chocobo breeding and Tetra Master? Who needs 'em, that's not what I'm here for. My perspective changed when tudo sobre ps4I started playing RPGs with my girlfriend. She likes to get absolutely everything out of a game; every collectible and side quest. For example, she collected every Triple Triad card in FF8 and every trophy in Wind Waker - and tudo sobre xbox one she has no qualms with using a FAQ to do it. Now I've gotten to be the same way. I'm almost always looking up guides and walkthroughs before I dive into a new game, especially when I need to consider options for character and party games with gold maio 2016 xbox live builds or come up with a plan for how I want my characters to develop. Part of me still feels like that's cheating; I'm not really playing the game "right," and that ruins a bit of the surprise and the challenge. But as Mike said, time is limited, and using guides helps me see more of the game content without a lot of flailing around.

Comments