Axe of the Blood God: Fable Revival Rumors, and the Cosmic Star Heroine Report #1

PODCAST | Kat and Nadia talk about the rumored Fable game that's maaaybe coming to Xbox One. Also, the verdict is in on our new RPG report. Go go Cosmic Star Heroine(s)!

Article by Nadia Oxford, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey and Nadia Oxford. You can find the previous episodes here.

In this week's episode of Axe of the Blood God (download link here), we talk about Playground Games' rumored Fable game for the Xbox One, Kat gives her verdict on Darkest Dungeon for the Nintendo Switch, and then we kick off our brand-new Cosmic Star Heroine report!

The news about a potential Fable game by Playground Games is intriguing. Kat believes Microsoft might be trying to build its own answer to phenomenal open-world titles like The Witcher III and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It's a lot of work and it'll take a lot of time, but we're enthusiastic—even if Fable's legacy is so-so, which we also discuss this week.

Also: Kat talks about Darkest Dungeon for the Nintendo Switch. Portable punishment never felt so good, apparently.

Finally, the political process you Earthlings call "Democracy" has yielded a winner in our "What Should We Play Next" RPG poll: Cosmic Star Heroine. Kat and I start our dig into this lovely little game and talk at length about its battle system, its boss fights, and the early hours of its story.

Want to share your thoughts on RPGs? Email us at usgamer@usgamer.net. We may read your letter on the show! Talk to us. We're listening. Closely.

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

Kat and Nadia get together to discuss rumors of a Fable revival from Playground Games [8:16], Fable's legacy of ambition and disappointment, and why you should buy Darkest Dungeon the Switch. Then it's on to the first Cosmic Star Heroine Report [32:04] as our intrepid adventurers discuss the opening hours, the flow of the boss battles, and the big early twist.

Glad the CSH soundtrack made it into the discussion... really an amazing, addictive quality and I highly recommend heading over to iTunes and picking that up even if you never play the game itself. It’s a regular listen for me while working and masterful little album with zero filler.

Great first report! (Though methinks there’s a trace of ennui that it’s not for Witcher III.)Edited January 2018 by mattcom26
    Well I voted for the next report to be Witcher 3, but I'm kinda glad CSH prevailed. It's a really great little game, and the Zeboyd duo seem like genuinely awesome dudes. More exposure for them is great (and maybe they can finally convince Nintendo to let them port CSH to Switch). I wish more JRPGs would have the patented Zeboyd pacing, they know how to keep the player engaged and not wear out their welcome.
    For next week's topic on "The Quest to get the Good Ending" you have to mention Valkyrie Profile. I loved playing the game on my PSP (I think it's still the best pixel art animation I've seen in a game) but the good ending is gated by a series of decisions that are never indicated, by the game, to be important and, at those decision points, the correct choices aren't really clear. The decision whether or not to wear a certain ring, for example, can prevent you from getting the good ending.

I'm only going to play through a 60 hour RPG once, so when I heard about how hard it was to get the good ending I ended up playing with a printout of the 80 page FAQ by my side (this was the pre-tablet era) checking it before I played each chapter in order to prevent a single false step. It was still a fun experience but the game design removes the joy of exploration and experimentation for those who want to get the good ending in a single playthrough.

On another note, I completely understand your angst about getting the bad ending in Witcher 3. After finishing the game (without a FAQ) I was two-thirds of the way through the epilogue, worried I had somehow received the bad ending only to breathe a sigh of relief when the final cutscene played. I couldn't have been happier with how it ended.Edited 2 times. Last edited January 2018 by Iambiz
    Your talk about having a open world with a main town hub is one of the big reasons I love Xenoblade X. Watching New LA change as you progress with the game really felt amazing to me. Nearly every other open world everything is just static no matter what you do. But with the game build around New LA changing it really gave this sense you are actually rebuilding humanity. Know Kat wasn't too big into the game but I personally even go so far to say that it's better than Zelda BotW.
    There is a developing controversy about Warhorse studios co-founder and 'Kingdom Come: Deliverance' lead designer Daniel Vávra in German/Austrian media that may change your view of the soon to be released game.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #6 SatelliteOfLove 4 months ago
    The reason you play Nocturne first is it's extreme masterful design. Its atmosphere is legitimately CHOKING from all of this audio-visual, narrative, combat, etc onslaught.

The game's world is so legitimately WRONG it's great.

CSH's huge dithering and slow panning of the cutscenes is 110% PC-98; it's like a "best of early 90s gaming goodness" in one handy dandy package.

@midoro

Yeah, he's not only a shitbag, he's one of those shitbags who utilizes his shitbagginess to get people to popularize his work by defending said work from the denouncing of others due to his shitbagging, thus meaning said work gets interest DUE to that shitbagginess.

You know, that classic "is he an asshole as a strategy or as an instinct?" riddle we should be familiar with now.Edited 2 times. Last edited January 2018 by SatelliteOfLove
    Will there be a Dragon Quest V report in the future?

Comments