Axe of the Blood God Wraps Up PAX East!

AXE OF THE BLOOD GOD | Kat and Nadia talk World of WarCraft, Dragon Quest XI, Underworld Ascendant, and more.

Article by Kat Bailey, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey and Nadia Oxford. You can find the previous episodes here.

Dragon Quest XI and World of WarCraft are two series asking themselves the same question: Where do we go from here? That's the main focus of today's discussion at Kat and Nadia wrap up PAX East [download link here]

In my interview with Dragon Quest XI's development team, one of the main points of the discussion was the desire to connect parents and children through nostalgia. More than ever, Dragon Quest needs to expand its audience, and the latest version betrays a fear that its core may be aging out. World of WarCraft, meanwhile, is in the midst of yet another expansion that looks forward rather than back. So what's next? Nadia and I discuss.

But that's not all! Underworld: Ascendant was available for the first time, and I go to play it! Find out how much I enjoyed throwing boxes at skeletons in the latest episode of our RPG podcast.

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

What do Dragon Quest XI and World of WarCraft have in common? They're two RPGs asking themselves, "What's next?" Kat and Nadia discuss that, Kat's other experiences at PAX East, and her hands-on with Underworld: Ascendant. Plus, we discuss your comments on the 3DS and The Alliance Alive!

Deleted April 2018 by kamandi
    Final Fantasy XIV's April Fools joke was almost your crafting clicker
    Long time Baltimore native here. If you ever find yourself out east again, give our food another shot. There's WAY more to Bmore than crab mac and cheese. Pit beef got its start in the suburbs outside the city.

What you really need to try is Sunny's Chick'N'Trout in the west side. Get the lake trout with mumbo sauce. THAT (along with Lobster roll, Heavy Seas beer, and Steamed Crabs) is Baltimore af. Stop by the closest Royal Farms gas station for some Berger cookies and give your cardiologist a ring afterwards. ;)
    @abuck10 In fairness I was just talking about the food at Camden!
    Much like you have lost the enzymes to eat meat, have you lost the enzymes that steel you against the Minnesotan cold and above?
    I still have not finished Persona Q and that unsealed copy of Etrian Odyssey V is mocking me.

I wonder what kind of localizers Square Enix have brought to do Dragon Quest XI. I was quite mellow on the series since I was playing Final Fantasies all the way down in my teenage hood, and it wasn't until my early 20s that I got into the Dragon Quest groove. If it weren't for the pun-filled, accented work by Plus Alpha and co., I may have neglected the series as I do with Tactics Ogre. I mean what the hell is a Triumgorate or a Tintinnabulum? Public school education didn't teach me those words, and everybody I know was too lazy to learn about religion. They say Brain Age stretched the gray matter? It was the text of the DQ Zenithian trilogy! I can only hope the September release will do the same!
    @Kat.Bailey Good point. Camden food is kinda... yeah let's just say they need to step up their game. Same with M&T Bank.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #9 SatelliteOfLove 5 months ago
    Alright! MMO drama llama!
    Glad to hear that you enjoyed Boston,@Kat.Bailey. As for the cold weather, wasn’t it Mark Twain who said: “I never spent a winter so cold as a summer in San Francisco...”

Thank you for sharing my quote re: Alliance Alive. My opinion of the game has become increasingly positive as I work my way through it. I suspect it will be one of those hidden gems that fans of the genre discover a few years down the road.

@Nadiaoxford - Much like your friend, FFXV nearly brought me to tears—just for a very different reason. I had to come to terms with the fact that after 10 years of waiting, this truly was it. ;-)

Hearing Kat say that she does not much care for action RPGs made me smile. Hear! Hear! Sentiments like those are why I enjoy listening to you so much. Edited 2 times. Last edited April 2018 by Gamer-Law
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #11 donkeyintheforest 5 months ago
    to follow up on my comment from last week

I've beaten all the officially released in US Fire Emblem games up through Awakening (my special edition of Fates preorder was cancelled by vendor and never got around to buying em separately, too many games). When I beat fire emblem awakening I never made any characters marry or have kids. I just didn't quite understand that system, and didn't grind/replay any missions either. It wasn't the hardest fire emblem, so I was able to get through just fine; only had 2 characters die (one on purpose; they were annoying), except in the last battle I lost like a third of my group haha.

With that experience (having never participated in the waifu stuff or breeding), I think that's why I thought it was more similar to XCOM. I never played the old XCOM and that extra layer sounds great. Kinda like how Total War games are much more than just their beautiful battles. I guess I was just lumping all the grid based, turn based tactical games with heavy rpg elements together (fft/ffta, ogre battle, jean darc, fallout tactics, shadowrun, WHQuest, maybe even wh40k chaos gate/rites of war/armageddon, etc). Oh well, my bad. Great show, thanks for keeping it going strong!

PS- I finally beat Xenoblade Chronicles 2 this week, played in large part as a result of the positive coverage on the AXE. Was def a thumbs up (and at almost 90 hours the longest I've spent on a single rpg playthrough). Now I am starting DIV:OS 2. It is a very different game haha though still fun. Anyways, thats most of my videogame life. I hope you're all having fun too.
    I could stand to hear a little more baseball talk :D
    @Jonnyboy407 Truly the greatest turn-based RPG.
    @Kat.Bailey Orioles need to grind some more. MUCH MUCH more... ugh...

Comments