Bethesda's Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, and Doom Reveals Made its E3 Press Conference One of its Best in Ages

Fallout 76, Starfield, Doom. There was a lot to be excited for at Bethesda's E3 2018 press conference.

Analysis by Kat Bailey, .

Well then, Bethesda sure did nail their press conference, didn't they? After the turgid EA Play and the predictable but solid Microsoft presser, Bethesda came in and blew the doors off E3 with amazing reveal after amazing reveal.

The first happy surprise was Doom Eternal—the sequel to 2016's well-received Doom reboot. Where Doom was a remake of the original game, Doom Eternal looks a lot like a reimagining of Doom 2: Hell on Earth. Whatever it turns out to be, more Doom is always welcome.

Bethesda followed that up with the surprising announcement of Wolfenstein Youngblood, which will feature B.J. Blazkowicz's two daughters in the 1980s. It's a fantastic twist on the Wolfenstein universe, and even better, it will be co-op.

The rest of Bethesda's big reveals all landed very well. Rage 2 looked like a fine update of the id Software shooter, and Fallout 76 was stunning as expected. Bethesda made fun of itself in a surprisingly self-aware trailer. Even the cringey Andrew W.K. performance to kick off the Rage 2 demo redeemed itself with hilarious audience reaction shots.

But the coup de grace was two long-awaited reveals. The first was a new IP that has been rumored and speculated upon for years now: Starfield. Bethesda's new "next-gen" space game will be its first new IP in 25 years, and it's a thrilling opportunity for one of the best open-world RPG developers in the business to stretch their legs and try something new.

The second teaser was the "big one." After years of waiting, Bethesda finally showed a tiny glimpse of Elder Scrolls 6. We'll be waiting many years for this one, but fans will no doubt be tearing apart Bethesda's 30-second teaser trailer frame by frame looking for clues (there's a castle!) People goof on Elder Scrolls, but you can't discount the passion of its fanbase.

The conclusion of the press conference left Bethesda with an extremely strong lineup heading into the back half of 2018. We're getting a new Doom, new Wolfenstein, and Fallout 76, with Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 to be excited for down the line. Elder Scrolls is also getting an intriguing new mobile game, which will no doubt make outrageous amounts of money. It was a win all around for the House of Skyrim.

Tonight's press conference is reminiscent of Sony's E3 2015 and 2016 shows, which managed to get people talking with games that were exciting, even if they were a long way off. Yes, Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 may not be out until the PS5 and Xbox Two, but it's something tangible for fans to anticipate. They are no longer the subject of mere rumor.

If you're more concerned about the present, well, Fallout 76 is coming out this November, and it already looks like it's going to be one of the two or three biggest games of the fall. Bethesda clearly brought the big guns this year.

With the first real day of E3 2018 properly in the books, Bethesda is clearly in the pole position for the most exciting reveals of the show this side of From Software. EA in particular should take note: This is how you get people excited for your games.

• Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #1 WiIIyTheAntelope 4 months ago
    Rage 2 looks good. Doom Eternal should be good unless some major atrocity happens.

Fallout 76 looks like somebody found my list of everything I don't want in Fallout and used it as a design doc. I'm out.

Not much to say about Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6..they have..uhh..nice logos? yeah.
    Wrong again, Bob.
    But wait, you forgot to mention the new mobile Elder Scrolls game...

...

Ok, sorry, it's best if we don't talk about it ^_^

I think the EA comparison is very fitting. Just like with EA, we kind of know what games Bethesda is going to show us, but they sure hype them a lot better. You see, I don't like post-apocalyptic settings, but every single time a new Fallout is announced, I'm like "this is it, now I'm getting into Fallout".

They have great franchises and I still feel they are very passionate about their games. That is reason enough for me to root for them.
    They told me about more Doom (I hesitate to say they showed it) which is all I wanted from them. I'm not that bothered about the rest of their library.

I hope their mobile game does well though, it's nice to see a mobile game that looks like more than a cheap cashgrab. Its not something I'd play myself but it would be nice to see effort rewarded, if that makes sense.
  • Avatar for Nuclear-Vomit #5 Nuclear-Vomit 4 months ago
    I'm still glad that Andrew W.K. is still partying hard, and with one of my favorite tracks from his first album.

I hope they don't base Doom Eternal too heavily on Doom 2. That game is impossible to beat without cheating.
    They had some great jokes, but this was also easily the cringiest conference so far. The first half of it was just horrible to watch, and the only real surprise was the mobile game. I do appreciate the last few Fallout games coming out the same year as the conference though. Fallout 76 could be really fun... or it could a PvP gankfest with less interesting characters and stories to experience. Rage 2 looked crisp, and Doom: Eternal hits the same effective beats Doom 2 did back in the day (had to show that Double-Barreled Shotgun), although I think they were trying to beat out Halo: Infinite for the award for "biggest number increase".
  • Avatar for admiralsnackbar #7 admiralsnackbar 4 months ago
    Yeah, I gotta disagree. All hype for Rage 2 vanished when we got a growly, angsty, angry protag and none of the crazy fun nutso stuff the trailers showed. Tonal whiplash, I don't know why that's how they angled it.

Doom and Wolfenstein were the best parts and Doom was a trailer for Quakecon more than anything else. Then they just show the same trailer for Fallout followed by the vaguest breakdown of what the game is.

Todd patting himself on the back and everyone pausing for applause every second dragged out maybe 30 minutes of content to almost two hours. At least Andrew W.K. is still the best dude in the business.
    Bethesda teasing The Elder Scrolls VI is like Sony teasing The Last of Us Part 3. It's a game people want, and it's a given that it will exist at some point, but it's probably like half a decade away at least and it probably only exists as concept art and design documents at this point. They said it's coming after Starfield, which is already a next gen game, which isn't happening for a couple of years.
    Presentation was rough at times but I'm pretty happy with the amount of cool stuff announced. And while I usually dislike announcing games so far ahead of time, letting people know about the roadmap for Starfield and ES VI is a good move in this case. There's so much angst built up for another Elder Scrolls that officially announcing it so they can go dark on it for the next five years a la Cyberpunk is good for me.

Next gen could have really strong start if we get both Cyberpunk and Starfield early in the next system cycle.
    @Roto13 While I agree, I think they teased ESVI so that people wouldn't immediately hate the new ES mobile game.
    @orakiorob Do you think they threw that non-trailer together after seeing the reaction to mobile Command and Conquer at the EA conference? :P

Comments