Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is a New 8-Bit Castlevania-like Game from The Gunvolt Developers

Stunning.

News by Matt Kim, .

Koji Igarashi who's currently working on his Kickstarted successor to the Castlevania series, Bloodstained, announced tonight an 8-bit spinoff version of Bloodstained that will be available for free to backers and sold to the public. The spinoff is called Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, and we have a new trailer for the game.

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is developed in 8-bit style from Gunvolt and Mighty No. 9 developers Inti Creates. While those last two games might have been divisive, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon looks interesting, with classic Castlevania-inspired gameplay and the ability to switch between multiple characters at once.

Players will take the role of exorcist Zangetsu, but he can team up with a young homunculus woman Miriam, the alchemist Alfred, and a homunculus man named Gebel. Players can unlock the other heroes and switch between them during the middle of a level.

The game will be given free to backers who pledged to the Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Kickstarter campaign at the $28 tier and above. For everyone else, the game will be available May 24 on PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita, Nintendo 3DS, and Steam for $9.99. You can check out the Steam page here.

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night are based on a new IP from Castlevania producer Koji Igarashi. They both draw heavy influences from Igarashi's previous series, but Ritual of the Night is being developed in a 2.5D style. You can check out our interview with Igarashi about Bloodstained here.

Update: An earlier version of this story said Koji Igarashi created Castlevania. He was a producer, programmer, and director on Castlevania games. The story has been edited to reflect these changes.

It should be noted that Igarashi is not the creator of Castlevania. He never even touched the series until Rondo of Blood on the Turbo Graphix CD. That said, yes he became the face of the series after the success of Symphony of the Night.

Anyway, I am freaking excited for this! I love Castlevania III Dracula's Curse, and this is an obvious spiritual successor to it.
    @MARl0 Yup. We updated the story to reflect the correction.
    That.. doesn't look very good. Choosing the look of a certain era is one thing, but there's no excuse for animation like that when we now have power to ape the look but do it so much better.

Then again, the main Bloodstained hasn't looked that sharp from the outset. The longer this process drags on, the more Igarashi has to prove with the hype behind this venture.
    Announcing spin-offs when the main product isn't done yet... Mighty No. 9 did exactly the same. This is the same company. Huge red flag right there. I'm going to lower my expectations accordingly.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #5 VotesForCows 5 months ago
    @Zebetite This wasn't just announced - it was always part of the plan from the original KS campaign. And as I understand it they've just used to stretch goal cash to pay Inti Creates to do it, separate to the main Bloodstained team.

But I agree the art style of BS still looks a bit dodgy.
  • Avatar for TheSensationalSean #6 TheSensationalSean 5 months ago
    Oh jeez, can I have that Bloodstained: CotM code now plz?! Can't wait to play it.
    It's also available on Switch. Does nobody check these things before you publish them??Edited May 2018 by INSOMANiAC
    @VotesForCows Even so, the main game isn't out yet. Maybe wait until launch day or at least launch month for that before announcing this? This seems premature. No one wants a repeat of what happened to that other game.
    Deleted October 4000 by Unknown
    @Zebetite "Maybe wait until launch day or at least launch month for that before announcing this?"
    But it is launch month already. This game is being launched May 24.
    If you mean that they should wait until Ritual of the Night's launch month, I think that wouldn't be too wise on their part. I mean, telling your backers: "You know that other game that we also promised you and you gave money for? Well, the team that was working on it has finished, but we're not going to let you play it until the other game is finished, because some people may find it suspicious that it exists at all. Have a nice day!"
    On the other hand, if Curse of the Moon is well received, it could build up some good will for Ritual of the Night. Inti Creates has released some nifty 8-bit styled games in the recent past (Blaster Master Zero comes to mind).
  • Avatar for NightingaleXP #11 NightingaleXP 5 months ago
    Mighty No 9 makes me skeptical, but I actually really dig the style on display here, at least-- screw that 2.5D spin-off they're working on, I'm down with these GBA graphics.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #12 VotesForCows 5 months ago
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #13 LBD_Nytetrayn 5 months ago
    The delivering on Kickstarter promises is one of the stranger complaints I've ever seen.
  • Avatar for One_Vurfed_Gwrx #14 One_Vurfed_Gwrx 5 months ago
    Hmm, what format to get this on... I have Switch physical of main game selected and did go for Switch for this too but not going to have a Switch for a while so may switch it to 3DS or Vita... Considered Vita for main physical as will be hardest to get physically afterwards (I chose WiiU initially) but not confident about port quality being Unreal engine. Might go 3DS for this mini game as Inti are experienced with it (and I have one) but Vita remains an option too. Would be nice to see vids of each handheld format running...
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #15 Funny_Colour_Blue 5 months ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx why not both?

...I-I'm gonna get it for 3DS, Vita and Steam....since it's all I have.. :(
  • Avatar for Cabbage-head-must-di #16 Cabbage-head-must-di 5 months ago
    This is an awesome surprise. Castlevania 3 is one of my favorite games on the nes and it looks like the game is snatching up all the right parts and making a damn fun new series. Get your weak ios shit outta here Konami, this the Castlevania I've been asking for. Name still sucks though, "Bloodstained" sounds like a crappy rpg maker game a 13-year-old would bang out in a weekend.Edited May 2018 by Cabbage-head-must-di
    @bigbadboaz I'm not a big fan of the "8-bit look" either but considering the game is a friggin' Kickstarter stretch goal, I'm impressed and won't be surprised if this turns out to be the better game.
    As for the actual Bloodstained, it's been frustrating watching it turn into a 3D engine'd anime game with unnecessary voice acting but all will be forgiven if it's the SotN successor it should be.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #18 donkeyintheforest 5 months ago
    despite the low framerate of animation in those sprites, i still think this looks better than normal bloodstained haha. the 3DS metroid remake showed me that 2.5D can work, but for the most part i'd prefer something with 2D spritework (ie shovel knight, not castle crashers).
    Looks like this will be a blast. I wasn't actually expecting this so soon, so I'm really excited to dig into it when it comes out.

Also, so many Castlevania III callbacks! Hopefully this will live up to that series' reputation.Edited May 2018 by SargeSmash
    Last year’s Blaster Master Zero and Mighty Gunvolt Burst were two of my favourite games, so more 2D goodness from Inti Creates is just what I want to hear. I can’t wait to get my download code!
    I would prefer a different aesthetic, but this looks nice and honestly catches my interest more than the main game. I'll probably pick up both eventually; I really love that this exists, though. I had no hope for a new platformy Castlevania.
  • Avatar for franciscovillarrealh #22 franciscovillarrealh 5 months ago
    Inticreates has honestly done more good games than bad (and they don't even have half the blame for why Mighty Number 9 ended up the way it did), so I'm definitely... well, I'm a backer, so I'm already getting the game.

But I'm sure it'll be great.
    @bigbadboaz I completely disagree, 3 frame animation for walk cycles was standard. It looks fine, it's nostalgic, that's what they are going for. I think it looks good. The only thing I'd say is that the slow walk animation of the old Castlevania's looks a bit odd when the screen is so wide. It's obvious they are going for that Castlevania look and they definitely nailed it.
    Well, I have to concur with comments above that this is pretty much the sequel to Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse that never was. I personally do like the graphic style as it’s evocative of the NES Castlevanias (which then again, is precisely the point). If anything, the fact that the boss sprites are so detailed is the one trouble I see, as they just don’t fit well with the rest of the game.

And for what is worth, while I also would have preferred proper sprites instead of the 2.5D look they went with, Ritual of the Night (aka, the main game) does look way better nowadays than it did at the beginning of the project.
    @camchow That's kinda still what I'm saying: we can now design games that look like older stuff but animate much, much better. Why leave in a "standard" walk cycle from 1990 when you can make it move like we always wanted it to at practically no cost?

But beyond that, look at how the weapon swing is ONE FRAME. That wasn't acceptable _in 1990_, and is incredibly jarring.
    @bigbadboaz : If the goal is to make the game look like older games, then wouldn't it stand to reason that the animation would be part of that? (Yes, there were some well-animated NES games, however, like Moon Crystal.)

If I remember right, Yacht Club also said they actually removed frames of animation in Shovel Knight to make it look more authentic. It's a choice they decided to go with, and I'm cool with it.

(Also, on the ground, that looks like at least two frames? He's got a small windup where he's pulling out his sword to attack. And that longer weapon they showed definitely had more than one frame of animation.)
    @SargeSmash That's one choice, sure. But if the goal is nostalgia/tribute that doesn't necessarily rule out making improvements within the general aesthetic. With so much power now available, and all the classics from the actual 8-bit era still extant and playable anyway, this is the choice I'd much rather see.

Regardless, that sword "swing" looks atrocious - and that's by any standard. ;) Edited May 2018 by bigbadboaz
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #28 The-Challenger 5 months ago
    Hey! Good for them. Now make Ninja Gaiden 4.
    wow this looks amazing! day one for me.
    $10 sounds like a nice price.

Comments