SHiFT Codes and Golden Keys are a great way to earn loot in Borderlands 3. In previous Borderlands games, you could enter special codes called SHiFT Codes to unlock special loot, and this feature has returned for Borderlands 3 - you might have even seen Gearbox tweet about them. You’ll need to know where to find them first, and where exactly you can redeem Shift Codes in the main menu. We’ll outline where to get Golden Keys so that you can open the Gold Chest. We’ll also give you an idea as to what is inside, so that you know you’re efforts will be worth it in the end.
On this page:
- Borderlands 3 SHiFT Codes List (July 2020)
- Where to Enter and Redeem Shift Codes
- Shift Codes Not Working?
- Borderlands 3 Golden Keys
- How to Get Golden Keys in Borderlands 3
- How to Open the Gold Chest Aboard Sanctuary
- What Do You Get From Gold Chests?
Borderlands 3 SHiFT Codes List (July 2020)
Gearbox has released a number of SHiFT Codes for Borderlands 3. We’ve included the ones that we’ve found so far below, and split them into sections for Permanent SHiFT Codes and Time-Limited.
Permanent SHiFT Codes
- ZFKJ3-TT3BB-JTBJT-T3JJT-JWX9H: (3 GKs)
- HXKBT-XJ6FR-WBRKJ-J3TTB-RSBHR (1 GKs)
- ZFKJ3-TT6FF-KTFKT-T3JJT-JWX36 (1 GKs)
- Z65B3-JCXX6-5JXW3-3B33J-9SWT6 (1 GKs)
- 9XCBT-WBXFR-5TRWJ-JJJ33-TX53Z (3 GKs)
- ZRWBJ-ST6XR-CBFKT-JT3J3-FRXJ5 (1 GKs)
Limited Time SHiFT Codes For July 2020
As new limited time SHiFT Codes are released we'll be sure to add them to the list below. We'll add the expiry dates for them as well.
- CHWJ3-XKHCH-K6KXZ-XT3TT-6HB66 (5GKs)
As well as SHiFT Codes in Borderlands 3, there are also VIP Codes. These will give you VIP Points if you're a VIP member (sign up here) and redeem them. All you need to do is head there, and then make sure you link your SHIFT account. Here are the VIP codes we know about so far:
- 2kLove (500 Borderlands VIP points)
- ABCEASYAS123 (250 Borderlands VIP points)
- ALMOSTTHERE (1000 Borderlands VIP points)
- BL3ATE3 (250 Borderlands VIP points)
- BUILDURSQUAD (250 Borderlands VIP points)
- CLAPTASTIC (250 Borderlands VIP points)
- Dasherz (250 Borderlands VIP points)
- DUCTTAPEMOD (250 Borderlands VIP points)
- FIGHT4SANCTUARY (250 Borderlands VIP points)
- FORTNITEXMAYHEM (250 Borderlands VIP points)
- FRESHBOOTY (250 Borderlands VIP points)
- HEYSUGAR (250 Borderlands VIP points)
- PLAYERONEVIP (100 Borderlands VIP points)
- PWR2PLYRS (250 Borderlands VIP points)
- SEVENDAYS (250 Borderlands VIP points)
- SMARTOYSVIP (100 Borderlands VIP points)
- YOURGAMEZONEVIP (100 Borderlands VIP points)
Where to Enter and Redeem Shift Codes
Now that you have some SHiFT Codes to try in Borderlands 3, you’ll need to know how to enter them. Head into the main menu and select ‘Social’. Now use R1/RB to tab across to the Shift Code menu. From this section you’ll be able to enter the codes listed above. You’ll see a small tick when you’ve entered a valid one and then it's redeemed.
Shift Codes Not Working?
From time to time, you might find that some of the Shift Codes you’re using aren’t working correctly so can't be redeemed. Be aware that some Shift Codes are time-specific, so may have expired before you’ve tried to use it. We'll be updating the codes on this list if we find that any have expired.
Borderlands 3 Golden Keys
About 3 hours into Borderlands 3 you will board Sanctuary 3, a hulking space cruiser that you’ll call home for the rest of the game. There are vendors to resupply with, missions to take on, and a mysterious Gold Chest that asks for Golden Keys. You likely won’t know what to do with the Gold Chest aboard Sanctuary, but fear not! We’ve got you covered.
How to Get Golden Keys in Borderlands 3
Golden Keys are needed to open the Gold Chest aboard Sanctuary. You’ll definitely want to do so, as it will give you a random selection of high-class loot. To get Golden Keys, you’ll need to head into the main menu and enter SHiFT Codes, which we detailed above.
How to Open the Gold Chest Aboard Sanctuary
Once you have obtained some Golden Keys using the method outlined above, you’ll need to open the Gold Chest. Head over to it and hold the interact button. A total of your Golden Keys will be shown while you do this. Once the Chest is opened, grab the loot you want and let it close again. You can then use another Key.
What Do You Get From Gold Chests?
Gold Chests are absolutely worth opening in Borderlands 3, because they contain purple and orange loot. You’re guaranteed these items, whether that’s in the form of shields, class mods or artifacts. What you get is still random, however, so you may end up getting loot that isn’t matched to your level.