According to a new report Bungie and Activision are splitting up after working together as developer and publisher respectively on the Destiny franchise. The MMO shooter will now fully enter Bungie's control.
Bungie announced in a blog post today that it will be working independently from Activision, nine years after entering into a partnership in 2010. "We have enjoyed a successful eight-year run and wold like to thank Activision for their partnership on Destiny," Bungie writes. "Looking ahead, we're excited to announce plans for Activision to transfer publishing rights to Bungie."
Bungie says the transition is already underway and both companies are committed to "making sure the handoff is as seamless as possible." Bungie says that it will still deliver content promised in the existing Destiny roadmap, and that fans should look forward to more seasonal experiences, as well as surprise announcements about the future.
Bungie and Activision shipped the first Destiny game in 2014 and the sequel in 2017. There has been some noticeable tension between Activision and the destiny brand in recent months. Activision has been slyly critical of Destiny 2's sales performance, reporting in quarterly financial briefings that player count has not met goals, and most recently that the latest Destiny 2 expansion Forsaken has not done enough to bring engagement back to the game.
Last year Bungie also entered into a new partnership with Chinese gaming company NetEase. The deal gave Bungie $100 million and NetEase a minority stake in the Destiny developer, and the partnership teased possible new IP from Bungie.
Blizzard announced that despite the split Destiny 2 will still receive the full support of Battlenet, and that there should be no disruption of services.
Destiny 2 will still receive full support on BattleNet and we do not anticipate any disruption to our services or your gameplay experience. http://go.redirectingat.com?id=87431X1573192&xs=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FFFOE1iae3R— BlizzardCS (@BlizzardCS) January 10, 2019