Activision unveiled the details for the battle royale mode that will be featured in the upcoming Call of Duty: Mobile. Battle royale will just be one mode offered as part of Call of Duty's mobile app, but it has been detailed in full today.
If you're familiar with the battle royale genre, Call of Duty's mobile version will not surprise you. 100 players will drop onto a large map and scavenge for weapons and items to outfit their kit. Then it's up to them to become the last player standing.
Call of Duty already has a console battle royale offering with Call of Duty: Blackout. But Blackout players might be surprised to see some key differences between the mobile and console/PC battle royale games. Activision's editorial manager Dave Hodgson says players familiar with "Call of Duty: Black Ops 4's Blackout mode may find some familiarity, but ultimately this experience is unique to Call of Duty: Mobile."
For starters, Call of Duty: Mobile's battle royale map is not Blackout's. The map is an amalgamation of past Call of Duty maps from Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, and Black Ops 2. There will be familiar gameplay mechanics like reviving teammates, vehicles, looting.
Players can also choose between six classes at the start of the match, each with their own unique abilities.
- Defender: With the ability to place a deformable Transform Shield, this class also is Reinforced, raising resistance to all damage except bullets.
- Mechanic: Able to call an EMP Drone to create electro-magnetic interference on hostile forces, this class also features the Engineer ability, granting augmented sight to vehicles, hostile traps, and other equipment.
- Scout: Utilizing the Sensor Dart that can view hostile positions in the immediate area of the radar map, this class also benefits from the Tracker ability; allowing you to see fresh footprints of hostiles.
- Clown: A master of distraction and friends of the undead, this class has a Toy Bomb to detonate, summoning zombies that only attack hostiles near to them; due in part to the Clown having the Anti-Zombie ability, which reduces the zombies' aggression distance.
- Medic: This class can place a Medical Station that continuously heals the Medic and associated allies in the immediate vicinity. In addition, the Master Healer ability allows a Medic to heal more quickly, and reduces the time it takes to revive teammates.
In the pre-game phase, players can choose whether or not to play in third- or first-person perspective. Matches will be exclusive to the certain perspective, so TPP players will not be matched with FPP players.
There will also be a loadout screen before a match so players can choose their class, weapon camos, item skins, vehicle skins, and make changes to standard gear like knives, wingsuits, and parachutes.
While the full battle royale map hasn't been revealed, there will be elements from past maps like Countdown, Crash, Diner, Estate, Farm, Firing Range, Killhouse, Launch, Overgrown, Nuketown, Pipeline, Seasise, Shipment, Standoff, and more.
Pre-registration for Call of Duty: Mobile is available now. You can do so on either the iOS App Store or the Google Play Store on Android. Also, check out our Call of Duty: Blackout guide for more coverage on Call of Duty's other battle royale.