What's Your Favorite Sprite-Based RPG from the Era That Inspired Octopath Traveler?

COMMUNITY QUESTION | What's your favorite game from the golden era for RPGs? Let us know!

Article by Caty McCarthy, .

Octopath Traveler is out now. Some will say its a love letter to Final Fantasy VI, others the SaGa series. The reality is somewhere in between, apparently.

You can check out Nadia's in-progress review of Octopath Traveler as you're loading it up on your Switch. And in the meantime, we're curious about this for this week's community question: What's your favorite sprite-based RPG from the 1990s or 1980s? You know, the type of RPG from the era that inspired Octopath Traveler so heavily. Let us know in the comments!

Kat Bailey Editor-in-Chief

Anyone who's ever listened to Axe of the Blood God knows that Valkyrie Profile has a special place in my heart. Originally released in 2000 (okay, that's not the 90s, but whatever), it was a uniquely structured RPG with some fantastic vignettes and lovely artwork. It features Lenneth, a valkyrie who is tasked with recruiting fallen warriors for Odin's war against the Vanir ahead of Ragnarok. As the game progresses, she slowly uncovers the secret of her identity, and either breaks out or dutifully follows her orders.

What I like best about Valkyrie Profile is the way that it encourages you to break away from the parameters set for you. If you do what you are told, you will ultimately be congratulated and the game will end. It's only in going against Odin's explicit instructions that you're able to earn Valkyrie Profile's best ending. And what an ending it is.

In the meantime, Valkyrie Profile features many fantastic and tragic vignettes, which are defined by their heartbreaking deaths. My favorite is a running story of a group of adventurers who die one by one, ultimately leaving only one hero to carry on for the group. That she is never able to rejoin her comrades is perhaps the saddest moment in a game full of them.

Valkyrie Profile never sold particularly well, so it's mostly forgotten these days, and its lengthy non-interactive vignettes make it slow-going for curious newcomers. But to this day it's perhaps my favorite game of all time. It's a shame we'll probably never see anything like it again.

Mike Williams Reviews Editor

Huh. This is a surprisingly hard question for me. There are a few games I love that count as RPGS, but I think of as other genres, like Final Fantasy Tactics or Secret of Mana. Xenogears is somewhat sprite-based, even if the second half peters out hard. If I go way back on consoles, there are other titles that come to mind like Grandia or Valkyrie Profile. If I do that same on PC, there's Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, Fallout, and Planescape: Torment. Hell, I really love Final Fantasy V over some of the other sprite-based FF because I'm a big fan of the job system.

Like, does Castlevania: Symphony of the Night count as an RPG? If so, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is probably one of my favorite RPGs of all time. If Tactics counts, then Disgaea, either 1 or 5, is way up there for me. If you can't tell, I'm really struggling on this one to pick just one game.

Eh, I put all the games on a chart and had a website pick a random number. The winner was Baldur's Gate 2, which was #5 on the spreadsheet. So there you go.

Nadia Oxford Staff Writer

I'm going to go with Final Fantasy VI for the SNES, which features the very art style Octopath Traveler aims to emulate. Up until the sixth installment, Final Fantasy games looked pretty good, but Final Fantasy VI's huge and detailed enemy sprites still shine. I love summoning Espers just to get a look at those beautiful designs.

Chrono Trigger has to get an honorable mention, of course. Its enemy sprites aren't as huge and detailed as Final Fantasy VI's, but they are animated. That was a big deal at the time. Chrono Trigger also crafted a unique look for every time period you visit. Sometimes I think about the work that went into that game, and then I feel like just sitting down and being quiet for a long time.

Caty McCarthy Features Editor

As one of the youngest members of the team (Matt and Hirun are younger than me, Jake's the same age; so it goes), my history with the sprite-based JRPGs of yesterdecades is servely lacking. I've never played the majority of The Greats (Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, basically anything Nadia or Kat would consider a favorite game). While I wouldn't call the following my absolute favorite JRPG from that era, I will go to bat for it. Of course, I'm talking about Final Fantasy V.

I played Final Fantasy V on the Game Boy Advance, long past its lifetime on consoles. It's kind of the perfect handheld game too; it's light on story, big on systems and jobs. It's one of the rare games in the Final Fantasy series that situates its gameplay as more important than everything else, and it's excellent because of that. It has immense replayability precisely for that reason. After Kat plopped it on our ongoing Top 25 RPGs list a couple weeks ago, I've really been feeling the itch to play it again too. Sorry Octopath Traveler, you might have to wait a bit.

Related Tags

Chrono Trigger
    Legend of Mana. I'm glad it has a better reputation now than it did back in 2000ish; I think in many ways it arrived too early. A gorgeous watercolor 2D open world tinkering/crafting/exploration game is the kind of thing that's received more warmly now (and I'm super happy Stardew Valley achieved the success it did; that scratches a similar itch) but all of that was pretty anathema to the leading trends when the game debuted. It didn't help that we never saw a localization of Seiken 3, which I think might've eased the transition a bit.

Even so, it's aged beautifully. It still looks and sounds wonderful. The writing is charming, frequently cheeky and considerably deeper than it lets on. The characters are all distinctly weird and wildly varied. The locales, creatures and concepts are highly creative. The world is odd and unique. The gameplay is low stress - there's so much to tinker with and figure out, but it's cool if you just want to do your own thing. It's relaxing and surprisingly thoughtful. It's maybe the only game I'd call "wise." It marries that wisdom to whimsy, in stark contrast to really any other game with meaningful themes. It has this Pratchettesque, Gaimanish atmosphere that remains singular in games.

You can go through the entire game allowing NPCs to believe your name is "Chumpy." There are sentient teddy bears with their own oddball language that you learn. There are multiple risque puns involving rocks. There are literal hippie flower children. There is a walrus captain of a pirate penguin navy. You fast travel around areas by boinking a large purple hippo-like creature called a boink which teleports you after saying, "Boink!" There are heartrending, heartwarming, hilarious tales about family (in multiple senses), love (in multiple senses), parenthood, fireworks, forgiveness, felonies, faeries and freedom of choice. It's all mad and lively and lovely.

I love it. It's a treasure to me. I get why it's not everybody's cup of tea. But it clicked with me and clicked hard.
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #3 Funny_Colour_Blue 3 months ago
    Saga Frontier
    forget the fact that it's an incredibly obtuse game for a moment, dude Saga Frontier did some really crazy things with those pre-rendered graphics.
    I hope Octopath and future games continue to push this idea forward, cause back then they were barely scratching the surface with this idea:

Edited 3 times. Last edited July 2018 by Funny_Colour_Blue
  • Avatar for victorehunter #4 victorehunter 3 months ago
    Live-A-Live. It has an amazing early Yoko Shimomura soundtrack, different storylines that all play different enough to feel fresh, and some really charming storytelling. It was also the basis for my guiltiest of pleasures, The After Years. If there's any Square game that deserves a re-release and an official translation, it's Live-A-Live. I'd also be interested to see if it inspired the multi-path element of Octopath Traveller.

Honourable mention goes to Tales of Phantasia. Other than IV it's probably the 90s JRPG that I've played all the way through the most.
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #5 Godots17thCup 3 months ago
    Ugh, you could probably ask me this same question every day of the week and I'd give you a different answer each time, but at this moment, I'll say Dragon Quest V.

Granted, like most Western players, I didn't actually get to play it until the DS remake was localized, but my goodness, what an absolute treasure of a game.
    Chrono Trigger or Ys 1 and 2

Unless Symphony of the Night is an RPG of that era then it's Symphony of the Night
  • Avatar for SkywardShadow #7 SkywardShadow 3 months ago
    Oof, my honest answer is probably FFVI, but I want to say Valkyrie Profile instead just to keep the flame alive for that game.Edited July 2018 by SkywardShadow
    I guess I'll throw my nod to Final Fantasy VI, behind what I'm sure will be a slew of Final Fantasies, Chrono Triggers, and Earthbounds. I know it's a boring choice, but that is the big power 3 of the 16-bit RPG era for a reason!

You could argue that RPGs still haven't surpassed those games, although I think the SMT / Persona games arguably have. But man, what amazing games!
    Honestly? This is a pretty tough question for me. The 80s and 90s are both eras of RPGs I look back upon very fondly, enough so that I often end up disappointed by jRPGs that try to channel the feels of that era. Whatever it'd be though, I'm sure it'd probably be something by Square or Enix. If we're talking jRPGs, at least; wRPGs would probably be something BioWare or Black Isle.

Anyway, the dirty li'l secret of the mid to late 90s RPGs is that even the 3D RPGs were functionally 2D. When it's not 3D models navigating a pre-rendered 2D space, it's 3D sprites running atop polygonal environments with a fixed Y axis angle, with the X axis camera shifting generally being limited to 45° angles. And especially in the case of cRPGs, it's rendered people on rendered backgrounds.
  • Avatar for januaryembers19 #10 januaryembers19 3 months ago
    @Funny_Colour_Blue I am revisiting this game right now and I'm loving it. Kawazu games are an acquired taste, I know, but it's still criminal that Square Enix never rereleased this game on (the English side of) PSone Classics. SaGa Frontier is an awesome game that gets a bad rap 'cuz it expects you to learn and play by its own rules.

After Kawazu gets Romancing SaGa 3's remake out the door I really hope he'll come back to this one. Not counting on it, but there is room to expand in a potential remake. Like, flesh out Asellus's quest to be like it was originally intended, maybe give Fuse the Douche that campaign of his own he was originally supposed to get.
    Gotta go with Chrono Trigger. Closely followed by Suikoden 2 and earthbound.
  • Avatar for odaiba-memorial #13 odaiba-memorial 3 months ago
    Oof, this is a tough question. There are so many. I can narrow it down to Final Fantasy V and VI, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star IV, and Suikoden II. If I have to narrow it down any further, it would be akin to having to choose your favorite child or pet. So... close your eyes and point. That's my favorite, I guess.
    Uhhh... ... ... Super Mario RPG? Why do I feel like I’m about to get booed offstage
    @NiceGuyNeon If Symphony of the Night counts, then it gets my vote too. XD

Xenogears: An old EGM preview sold me on it. It sounded so interesting at the time by combining mechs and religion. I only made it past the first disc but it was a fun time. I would still like to play Chrono Trigger some day.

I cannot wait to dive into Octopath Traveler this weekend. I'm going to keep on with Primrose's story from the prologue demo.
  • Avatar for NotCarolKaye #16 NotCarolKaye 3 months ago
    Final Fantasy VI
    Chrono Trigger.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #18 LBD_Nytetrayn 3 months ago
    Illusion of Gaia, which wins my vote by default.
    Chronic Trigger, by a very wide margin.
  • Avatar for discohospital #20 discohospital 3 months ago
    Xenogears, although it's perhaps an awkward choice given its mixture of sprites and polygons. I'm not sure what to say, except that there's still not another game quite like it, nor another story told in a game quite like the one it tells. The legend that was printed long ago regarding the game's second disc has far outgrown the rather humble thing itself - it's about twenty hours consisting of story cutscenes with several fairly intricate dungeons at regular intervals, followed by the typical 90s Square endgame of a handful of optional side quests. If you're on board with the story up until that point, you're likely going be on board with following it through to the end, simple as that. In this age in which the West has begun to accept more and more of Japan's wider game output, including things it used to protest as stretching the definition of what could be considered a video game - visual novels, for example - it's harder and harder to understand what makes gamers so finicky about storytelling methods.

Octopath Traveler and its reception provide a great opportunity to reflect on the broader palette of narrative possibilities that can be explored in games when developers are allowed the freedom to tell the kinds of stories they want to in the way that they want to, or in the way that their stories demand, as the case may be. If critics and players are able to put aside expectations created by the homogenizing market and engage with each game on its own terms, developers will be able to continue to explore different methods in every facet of game design, and will be able to further refine alternative approaches they've managed to squeeze between the cracks already.

EDIT: I want to add that I feel it's greatly regrettable that I missed Valkyrie Profile on release. 2000 was a weird year for me, spent (I think) mostly with Dreamcast games, and culminating in a cross-country move that derailed my attention. A number of great late Playstation games flew under my radar. I picked up FFIX out of habit and ended up putting it down after the first disc thanks to the chaos of moving, but in hindsight, late sprite games like Valkyrie Profile and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment probably would've been much more in line with what I was looking for at the time (not to diminish FFIX - I know it's a fan favorite, and I do plan to get back to it eventually).Edited 2 times. Last edited July 2018 by discohospital
    @Flipsider99 Sing me up for the "predictable boring club" because Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are my favorite RPG of the era and among my favorite of all time. What can I say? I pretty much learned English thanks to these games.

Honorable mention to Super Mario RPG as well.
    Have to agree with@Funny_Colour_Blue. SaGa Frontier’s influence in Octopath is undeniable.

Prior to Octopath’s arrival, individual character narratives in a JRPG were somewhat unique to the early SaGa titles (as well as games like 7th Saga). As controversial as that has proven to be this week, I am glad to see the concept revisited. SaGa Frontier suffered no shortage of flaws, but it was in equal measure an amazing game that deserves to be revisited. Kudos to the Octopath team for recognizing that. Edited July 2018 by Gamer-Law
    I love the art of Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3, but I have a massive weak spot for Breath of Fire 3 and 4 which feature hybrid 3d/sprite art for map and characters respectively. Beautiful games, particularly 4 which uses its art style more effectively to blend the two together into something cohesive. Also, turning into dragons, yo.

I suppose there's something to be said for the first Pokemon games as well, sometimes simplicity can trump complexity and those sprites on that small screen really fuel the fires of imagination.
    @Vonlenska I get why everyone gravitates to Secret of Mana as being the best, but Legend of Mana will always be my favorite in the series. Thanks for writing this and helping articulate why it's such a special game.
    Unlimited Saga.
    It's an obvious pick, but Final Fantasy VI.
  • Avatar for SuperShinobi #27 SuperShinobi 3 months ago
    Phantasy Star IV, Faery Tale and Sword of Vermillion.

I didn't play any of the turn-based RPGs back then, as I couldn't stand the traditional slow and endless random-battle grind of JRPGs. Hence I only played adventure games that had a realtime battle system like Faery Tale, Vermillion and Zelda.

These days I've begun to enjoy turn-based RPGs also. I only recently played the Phantasy Star games for the first time and enjoyed their stories very much, although the amount of grinding you have to do in those games still felt kind of mind-numbing. Backlog permitting, I'm going to play the classic SNES RPGs one day too.Edited July 2018 by SuperShinobi
    Deleted July 2018 by liyarero
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #29 donkeyintheforest 3 months ago

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance!
  • Avatar for highkingconchobhar #30 highkingconchobhar 3 months ago
    USgamer would do better, I think, to get better quality screenshots for articles. Like, in the ones here, Symphony of the Night looks like it's been resized at percentage that's not a multiple of 100, Final Fantasy VI has a gaudy smoothing filter… and all of them have visible artifacting even in the preview images. It really does these games a disservice, and undercutting their beauty in an article intended to highlight it.
    Chrono Trigger is the greatest RPG of all time. If it was the last in the genre, I'd be completely satisfied. The music, the art, the personality of the characters, it's all perfect.
  • Avatar for victorehunter #32 victorehunter 3 months ago
    @Vanderdulpp Nah! Mario RPG was actually the first RPG I ever played. I remember being at Blockbuster and asking my mom what 'RPG' meant and her telling me that it's just a made up word. Still never finished it but I love it. Especially the music.
    @highkingconchobhar Hey thanks for pointing this out, I've removed the screens. For CQ, since I'm usually laying it out post-work on friday evenings, I typically grab from our internal photo archives (meaning photos already uploaded and used in other articles across the site). I'll endeavor to do better in the future.

Also for images under 500px, which I imagine was the case for the Valkyrie Profile one, our internal CMS automatically expands images to 500px by default, hence the artifacting them in the process. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is when we're dealing with old games without 1920px images on their websites or whatever.
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Chrono Trigger.

Close seconds for sprite-based stuff would include Phantasy Star IV, Valkyrie Profile, Lufia II, and Final Fantasy VI.Edited July 2018 by SargeSmash
  • Avatar for SnakeEyes097 #35 SnakeEyes097 3 months ago
    There are lots of old favorites on this list already, so I'm going to surprise myself even and give some love to Breath of Fire 3. I dove into this game headfirst, having never played the first two, and I really loved it. It may not be as deep or have a ground breaking story, but I loved the heck out of that game. I really liked the Faerie Village, and combining aspects into new powerful (or ultra weak if you did it wrong) dragon forms was just really cool.

• Avatar for Cabbage-head-must-di #36 Cabbage-head-must-di 3 months ago
    @SuperShinobi phantasy star 2 is my most favorite game I wouldn't recommend to anybody under 30. The story and setting is great but that grinding kills me anytime I restart it. If anyone likes strategy games, ogre battle 64 and dragonforce are easily some of the best sprite based rpgs that still hold up. You're gonna need some time off to play them because they are huge.
  • Avatar for Mikki-Saturn #37 Mikki-Saturn 3 months ago
    I haven't seen anyone else say it yet, so I'm going to say Lunar: The Silver Star Story - actually, personally, I only played the playstation version which has several alterations. But I'm sure the Sega CD original is great too. I don't really know what it is, but Lunar has a gestalt to it that really elevates it. It's just charming as heck, and has a great soundtrack too (always beneficial in these kinds of games). It's not the most groundbreaking title, but it's very solid. I kind of think of Lunar as my Platonic ideal of a JRPG, complete with all the tropes and cliches that we like to parody and deconstruct now.

And seriously, the music - isn't this overworld theme the sound of adventure?
    Chrono Trigger and it’s not close. I wish I could say FFVI was but it’s not.
    Suikoden 1 and 2 has beautiful sprite art. Feel the only problem I have with the look of Octopath Traveler is how washed out things are with lots of light blooms. Suikoden however you can just seem everything in amazing detail with all the colors popping.

I love FFT with its sprites over 3D environments; it has a diorama-like presentation.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #41 Tetragrammaton 3 months ago
    If ARPGs count, then it's Terranigma. For a game about putting the world to right, it sure went an extra mile to make you wonder if you should have left well enough alone. Lovely game, incredibly dreamlike and wistful.

If we're talking straight 2D RPGs made in Japan, then it's FF4. Sure, I prefer CT in about every way, but FF4 has more heart than half the games on Steam. It's weird, it's rough, it's asking big moral questions and answering with bearded men dive bombing off of airships. Also Cecil might still be my favorite main character in a game.
  • Avatar for SkywardShadow #42 SkywardShadow 3 months ago
    @moochan That looks like a graphically-enhanced shot from an emulator. I did find that Suikoden I & II popped a bit when I played them on my PSP, but on the original PSX via standard def TVs and scanlines, they were a bit muddy. We need HD versions of these games!
    I wish I could make a hipster pick and say something other than Chrono but I can't. It's too interlinked with personal nostalgia from that time period and how good of a game it was.
    Chrono Trigger and FF6 have already been said, so I'll go with... Terranigma.

I know it never got released outside of PAL territories, but it's a gem. The ambition and scale of the thing is absolutely immense.
    Does Trails in the Sky count? I'm at about the midway point of SC, and unless FC takes a big nosedive, these three games are easily going to combine to be my favorite JRPG
    @moochan Suikoden 2 is my answer too. That's an interesting point I've never gave much thought but Suikoden has done the 2d sprites on 3d backgrounds better than many modern games that attempt it. Maybe because you only see it in battles, whatever the case I love the look of that game and the attention to detail in the sprites and their animations.
    @victorehunter Live-A-Live was a great game, but I'd say the SaGa series is the more likely inspiration. Romancing SaGa predated Live-A-Live by a couple years and also SaGa has been an ongoing series where Live-A-Live was just the one game. Also Live-A-Live focused on multiple genres and timelines whereas Octopath, like SaGa, is just a straight up Fantasy RPG all set in the same world.
    I can't believe no one mentioned Grandia. Especially because Tressa feels like a mix between Justin and Sue, and her chapter feel like a remix of the opening chapter of Grandia.Edited July 2018 by MyNameIsMe
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #49 donkeyintheforest 3 months ago
    If you take an image that is really small (i.e. Pixel perfect screenshot from an emulator) and want to upload it without auto scaling that looses detail, just download the image and open it in MSPaint or (even better) GIMP (great open source photoshop alternative) and scale it there before uploading to the site. Then you don't have to rely on the scaler for the majority of the image resizing. Make sure to save as a png or something so it doesn't average details for smoothness in the saving process or post upload resizing.

It may not show the glory of the old games like they would have looked on a crt or handheld LCD, but it will at least avoid the "eagle filter" look, and with some emulator fiddling those source screenshots can have scan lines, blurring of pixels etc.

Also I'm not trying to tell anyone at the site how to do their job, this is just general information as I had this experience a bit when trying to resize an image for upload. If I was saying this to the people at usgamer, I'd be deserving of being called an ass hat. That is not sarcasm. You've probably gone through all that already. A lot of people don't know about gimp though and I love open source software.

Really fun question of the week and I love the visual responses ppl are giving
    If Earthbound counts than Earthbound.
    Final Fantasy VI. The only other game that comes close is Chrono Trigger, but FFVI is the king of classic JRPGs in my opinion. That game is damn near perfect.
    @camchow Nintendo talked a bit about having to have a few of their older developers show newer ones how to do pixel art for Super Mario Maker. Since by the time mid 90's came pixels wasn't really taught in programing since that limitation wasn't around anymore. So Konami doing it was just a team of people who did pixel art since early NES/Famicom. So they had a better understanding of how to do it right and didn't have the same color limitation that 16 bit games had so they could go hog wild and it shows. Guess that's why most "retro looking" games have a sort of off to them since the people making it doesn't have the experience of working from 8 bit and 16 bit. While there are a bunch of great retro style looking games most of them don't have the same level of quality that games like Suikoden or Symphony of the Night (weirdly both Konami).
    @chaoticBeat I played a lot of these games recently: Chrono Trigger, FF3-7, Secret of Mana, etc. And they're all entertaining in their own way, but the only game on that list that immediately jumped to an all-time favorite status was CT.

And I played it on my phone... that's how good it was. I can't play anything on my phone, it drives me crazy but I dropped nearly 40 hours on my phone for Chrono Trigger. That game is pure quality.
  • Avatar for jenniferwilliam0 #54 jenniferwilliam0 3 months ago
    Sincerely i was so crushed when my Husband of 8 years left me and moved to Texas to be with another woman. The pains was just too much for me to bear that I couldn't just bear it anymore. I traveled to greet my friend and her family during Christmas celebration then i explained to her, how my husband has abandon me and my children for a period of time and be with another woman, and my friend told me about Dr Ogbefun the great spell caster who had helped her in the past before, when i contacted him with his email via ogbefunhearlingtemple@gmail.com i explain to him, how my Husband has been with another woman for two year now and that's the problem am facing in my marriage now and i need to end it by killing her, and i don't want to make use of assassin because it will be risky so i needed to do it in a spiritual way that's why i decided to contact him, he assured me not to worry as i have contacted the right person at the right time, i co-operated with him and in less than a week she die, she slept and never woke up, and truly my husband come back apologizing that he never knew what came over him my husband apologize to me and we are happy family now. all thanks to dr ogbefun you can contact Dr Ogbefun for any death spell, such as killing your superior in the office and take his or her place.spell for increase in salaries, spell for promotion at the office, spell to get your ex lover back, if things is not working well in your life then you need to contact him now via website https://ogbefunhearlingtem.wixsite.com/spell or add him on whatsapp +2348102574680

Comments