You may have noticed we've devoted a lot of space to Super Mario Maker over the past month. Because, well, we think it's pretty great. We've seen lots of great user creations, too, and we'd like to reward everyone's hard work.
Well, not everyone. But maybe... 10 people or so?
Yes, we're throwing a Mario Maker contest, and you're invited. From now through October 12, you can submit your best stage design for consideration by our panel of expert judges (me, Bob, Nadia). We'll play through each and every code that's submitted and pick our 10 favorites, plus one grand prize winner. I guess that's 11 people, then.
And what will you win for your troubles, you ask?
Each of 10 winners will receive a random Nintendo-themed "gatchapon" toy such as the ones pictured here. The grand prize winner, however, will receive the old-school Mario and Luigi vinyl figurines pictured at the top. Oh, and also, the grand prize creator will also claim this guy:
The rare and vaunted Modern-color Retro Mario Amiibo. Nintendo decided to be horrible and only make this available in a Walmart-exclusive Wii U hardware bundle in the U.S., but I picked up one of these at retail in Japan, where they're readily available as individually carded items. And they're not too hard to find if you know where to look. I mean, check out this rack at Toys 'R Us in Ikebukuro:
Can you even imagine? Yes, I have seen the promised land, and one talented Mario Maker designer can enjoy the fruits of that paradise. So... post those codes. Or rather, that code. Just one.
Here are the rules you need to know:
- Contest is open to North American residents only (U.S., Canada, Mexico). This is just a shipping logistics issue, though, so if you live outside of North America but know someone with, say, a Canadian address who wouldn't mind us shipping your prize to them, we'd never know the difference. Just saying.
- Only one entry per person. Anyone submitting multiple entries will be disqualified.
- To enter, simply reply in the comments to this article with the code and name of your favorite Mario Maker creation. Codes submitted through other mediums (e.g. Twitter, Facebook) will not be considered.
- You have until October 11, 2015, 11:59 Pacific Time to enter, so feel free to take some time to polish up your work.
- Your stage will be played by USgamer's judges. Winners will be determined based on the purely subjective criterion of whether or not the judges have fun playing it. Inventive or clever designs will be factored in, of course!
- No purchase necessary. I mean, USgamer doesn't even sell stuff, but apparently that's a thing you say in contests, so.
- We'll try to have the winners sorted out no later than Oct. 31, but that date could slip depending on the volume of submissions we receive.
- Winners will be contacted by the staff via direct message. Please do not delete your code submission, and do not post personal information such as your address to the site publicly.
That's about it! You have until Oct. 11 (that's two weeks and change), so get to work!